Q:

Hammer fix

Lately I’ve noticed with 25 Vulcan the 40-50 and beyond yard shots where not slam dunk anymore. Well this morning after a horrendous outing I figured I’d better look into it.
I whipped out chronograph and viola the answer was clear. First it was shooting 880-990 to start off with. Last time I checked it was 930 or so. So I took your the hammer screw and was able to move velocity around but not consistent at all. Extreme spread was 25 and then some. My 80 yard groups showed it too. So I took it apart but had to reverse drill out two of the screws holding the side plate. (thanks Zonk for the 2 spares you sent me) I took hammer out and wiped it clean. Then I noticed the one end where trigger catches hammer was sharp. So I smoothed out the edges using a drill to spin hammer and taking some cloth to the edge.

While I had it apart I figured I might try to do something with hammer spring too

I put it to the test through chrony and settled for 920 with es of 2 with 20 shots tethered to my tank. Major improvement to say the least.
I went and did a accuracy test and it puts 3 pellets through a hole not much bigger than the pellet at 50 yards.
I’m so happy to have my Vulcan back to its usual self.
The piece on the spring is a rubber grommet that you use to insulate a hole to pull wires through. I can’t hear the spring at all. Problem is my gun got louder. Lol

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

Airgun Technology

All Replies

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 114 total)

1 2 3 6 7 8

:hoot:

That Silver Colibri is one sweet instrument!!!

Hoot:

quote Hoot:

Yennie….you have DEFINITELY found the right place to hang out. Most of us are older fuckers that don’t have enough sense unzip before we piss down our leg. In fact, some of us can’t unzip before we piss, but that’s another story for another time.

Welcome my friend…you are among your own kind. By the way…that “fix” from the factory looks like a knee jerk reaction and I’m hopeful Evgeny has come up with a nice box of grommets, or the right size rubber tubing, to fit around that hammer spring. I’m a bit concerned about a LONG rubber to spring contact, as compression/release might be affected if the fit isn’t just right!

Hoot:

Uncle Hoot,

Thanks for the welcome . . . I’ve actually been a member here since 2011 but hadn’t posted much as I, up until very recently, was not one to tinker with my stuff. But I’ve read these forums for years and have gotten a lot of great, useful knowledge from here for awhile now. We’ve interacted before – I can’t remember if it was you, OldGoat, or someone else that I bought an Edgun R2 a few years ago. I know OldGoat sent me some spare o-rings for the Edgun way back then but I’m sure you helped answer some stupid questions of mine back then too.

I took a couple of years off from my PCP’s – got busy with three little kids – but recently got the itch again around July of this year. It was taking delivery of the first Colibri Hummingbird a couple of months ago that forced me to have start tweaking stuff . . . which turns out to be quite enjoyable. I’m sure that’ll last until I break something then it won’t be that much fun at that point I’m sure. The .25 Vulcans are darn near perfect right out of the box so this small, fast, and cheap fix to the springs was a no brainer to do – especially as you can see how the factory addressed it.

Anyhow, good to be back active with my rifles – I’ll post more about my activities later but here’s a start from the Yellow:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/thread/1443914345

Yennie….you have DEFINITELY found the right place to hang out. Most of us are older fuckers that don’t have enough sense unzip before we piss down our leg. In fact, some of us can’t unzip before we piss, but that’s another story for another time.

Welcome my friend…you are among your own kind. By the way…that “fix” from the factory looks like a knee jerk reaction and I’m hopeful Evgeny has come up with a nice box of grommets, or the right size rubber tubing, to fit around that hammer spring. I’m a bit concerned about a LONG rubber to spring contact, as compression/release might be affected if the fit isn’t just right!

Hoot:

quote Zonk:

First time??????????????????????????????????????????????? My ass!!! :rofl: :rofl:

LOL edited – meant to say “NOT the first time”

First time??????????????????????????????????????????????? My ass!!! :rofl: :rofl:

quote eelect:

Yen I wish I could feel sorry for you but for some reason I just can’t find any sympathy at all. Lucky for you guys my 25 started to act up and thus made me look into it. I had it all cleaned up and ready to put side plate on and something made me stop and stare At the Hammer spring. Next thing I knew something screamed grommet into ear. I started to laugh and said what a bunch of idiots. That’s exactly what this thing needs. A couple minutes later the bug was squashed…….
I never once thought about selling the gun. I enjoyed every minute I had with it. Now it’s just a gem to shoot. So for future reference keep your shorts on

quote Zonk:

And that $1.04!!! :rofl: If we told all of our secrets right away what fun would that be??

F@ckers! I knew you guys were holding out on me!

But that’s OK, this was [edited] NOT the first time I did stupid shit and definitely won’t be the last. I’ll share with you guys my Colibri adventure in a different thread…

Yen I wish I could feel sorry for you but for some reason I just can’t find any sympathy at all. Lucky for you guys my 25 started to act up and thus made me look into it. I had it all cleaned up and ready to put side plate on and something made me stop and stare At the Hammer spring. Next thing I knew something screamed grommet into ear. I started to laugh and said what a bunch of idiots. That’s exactly what this thing needs. A couple minutes later the bug was squashed…….
I never once thought about selling the gun. I enjoyed every minute I had with it. Now it’s just a gem to shoot. So for future reference keep your shorts on

And that $1.04!!! :rofl: If we told all of our secrets right away what fun would that be??

I wish you guys would’ve started this thread a couple weeks earlier! Either that, or I wish I was just a slightly more patient idiot!

I picked up a perfectly good .25 Vulcan from the June shipment off of the Yellow around mid August. Great rifle – but the twang was just too annoying to deal with. But even then, there was already word that the next shipment would have that fixed/reduced and I knew that one or more of you geniuses would figure out how to do a DYI fix and post it on here. So what does impatient me do? I bought a brand new .25 from the late August shipment and paid about $150 more to get this:

Yes, that’s right . . . I re-sold a perfectly good 2nd hand Vulcan that I got a good deal on and paid new retail for the same rifle to get about $0.10 worth of parts. What you see there is a 1/3″ section of loose fitting, flexible tubing added to the hammer spring. That worked fine the first week I got the rifle but it became louder and louder as I shot it. The red mess you see all over is from the thin latex . . . condom, I guess, that was put around cock(ing) spring to reduce the noise there. Only problem there is that the petroleum based grease put into the spring ate away at the latex and made a nice red (lubricating) jelly. So I took everything apart and cleaned off all the red gunk; tried as I may, couldn’t get all the red latex out of the cocking spring. Sure enough, the larger tubing was very loose on the hammer spring and slid around easily – probably why it was becoming less and less effective:

I’d been saving up for several weeks and finally scraped together $1.04 + tax to get this from Lowe’s yesterday:

Then I followed the instructions on here and put the two grommets in as well as wedging a small o-ring inside the cocking spring. The grommets were a piece of cake (still need to experiment with putting both of them together or one on each end of the spring); it did take some trial and error to squeeze that o-ring into that small spring! Not sure how much this o-ring will help but seems like good peace of mind to have it in there. Here are the final results:

The tiny amount of money and time spent made a huge difference. The grommets are nice and snug on the spring and twang is noticeably reduced again. Plus now it doesn’t look like I’m saving red Jell-o for lunch in my Vulcan anymore. All of this was done close to midnight last night so didn’t have time or inclination to put shots through a chrony before/after the swap – but based on what others have stated, I figure there shouldn’t be any noticeable change. Also swapped out the scope on this Vulcan last night so it’ll need to get sighted again – but it’s much more enjoyable to shoot now.

Moral of the story is that I blame you guys for slacking and not posting this info earlier in order to save me all this hassle!!!

Sure do. Just let me know. Give it a good 2 or 3 taps and they should break free.

quote Zonk:

Pret, these screws are for the side plate and all the other covers on the out side of gun. Some guys are stripping the heads and these are replacement screws. And NO you can’t buy any, they’re to “giveaway” my friend.

Zonk,
I’ll be working on the mod this evening when I get home from work. Using the “tap to seat” method you and Lurker spoke of, I’m hoping I can remove them without a hitch. Would you have one or two extra, just in case?…..

Pret, these screws are for the side plate and all the other covers on the out side of gun. Some guys are stripping the heads and these are replacement screws. And NO you can’t buy any, they’re to “giveaway” my friend.

quote guykuo:

Looking at my hammer assembly, it looks like the brass guide hits the housing first and stops.
Then the hammer flies forward under its own momentum to strike the valve.
How much noise is generated by the brass guide strike vs the hammer strike bears examination.

It doesn’t seem right. The brass guide should not hit anything but the hammer. I’m wondering why the 22s need that brass piece. The 25 seem to do great without it.

quote Zonk:

I still have a few left……………….

Zonk is that the replacement screw that holds the spring to the cocking lever, so you can put a twang-reducing o-ring under the screw?

Can I buy one from you?

Looking at my hammer assembly, it looks like the brass guide hits the housing first and stops.
Then the hammer flies forward under its own momentum to strike the valve.
How much noise is generated by the brass guide strike vs the hammer strike bears examination.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 114 total)

1 2 3 6 7 8
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.