Got my second Talon SS

Home Forums AirForce Talon/Talon SS Got my second Talon SS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    shrpshotr28
    Participant

OUCH! lots of work to do. Gun shoots good but I’d forgotten what a stock talon was like!!. long mushy trigger pull, loud, lousy safety, etc. This evening really made me appreciate the mods done to mine. I thought mine was messin’ up with my buddy shootin the stock one beside me. The SS with 12″ bbl was 3-4 times louder than my modified talon w/ .25 bbl shooting 31 gr kodiacs at 1000fps. Have much to do to bring the new one “up to speed”.

Think I want an 18″ setup though. I love the TT 24″ and shroud and the stock SS is a little short to have good balance. The shrouded 18″ should be just about ideal for woods carry and pointability.

Off to work, going to work the valves on both new tanks before I fill them to avoid having to do a full dump later (still using a hand pump and starting from 0 pressure sucks!)

saugus18
    Participant

Just curious, you have any idea what I could expect with my SS having .25 18″ with Condor tank/valve in fps/fpe? (Lets say 31 gr) I may try that later on down the road. A better scope is the priority right now.

shrpshotr28
    Participant

900 or so fps with the 31gr kodiacs should be very doable which is 55fpe(add a heavier hammer to your list or condor valve won’t open properly). I’m shooting a 24″ barrel with kodiacs doing 1000-1040 for 10-15 shots which is 72ftlb

bikincrazy52
    Participant

What could i do with normalish tools to get my stock talon ss shooting a bit faster, without any big mods like a barrel. What do you mean by “Work both tanks”?

saugus18
    Participant

Very good, one more thing… I know about needing a heavier hammer, but isn’t there a seperate wieght that can go with the stock SS hammer for this? Could have sworn I saw something like that, “Striker Weight” just popped in my mind…or is the best way to just get a Condor hammer.

walkonking
    Participant
    quote bikincrazy52:

What could i do with normalish tools to get my stock talon ss shooting a bit faster, without any big mods like a barrel. What do you mean by “Work both tanks”?

A stock talon SS should be shooting .22 kodiak at 750fps and CP at 850 fps.

The best way to gain about 50 fps is to give your valve a port and polish job.

shrpshotr28
    Participant
    quote bikincrazy52:

Longer barrel is easiest velocity increase. Valve work is next in line, polishing and enlarging ports to allow more airflow. “work both tanks” is the talonss I just got came from the previous owner with two complete tanks. Both of which I will be doing valve work on before putting into use.

shrpshotr28
    Participant
    quote Saugus18:

Very good, one more thing… I know about needing a heavier hammer, but isn’t there a seperate wieght that can go with the stock SS hammer for this? Could have sworn I saw something like that, “Striker Weight” just popped in my mind…or is the best way to just get a Condor hammer.

The condor does have this “striker weight” added to the hamer. Cheap improv. and “semi adjustable” is 1″od x 5/8″id “machine washers” available at Ace hardware. install behind hammer spring for additional preload (gives power wheel more upward range) or in front of hammer spring which adds mass to the moving hammer and increases preload) cost about $.20 each and you can experiment with placement/qty for best consistency/velocity. I beleive they go about 3-4gm each (haven’t weighed them)

bikincrazy52
    Participant

I read through this, http://talonairgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1272 but i don’t really have any of those tools. I have a drill, files, sandpaper, but no Dremel or Drill press. Could i get by with putting the stem in a vice and carefully drilling it out?

shrpshotr28
    Participant

Key word would be carefully. And I’d probably not go quite as large a drill as the stem gets pretty thin. just depends what you are comfortable with.

walkonking
    Participant
    quote bikincrazy52:

I read through this, http://talonairgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1272 but i don’t really have any of those tools. I have a drill, files, sandpaper, but no Dremel or Drill press. Could i get by with putting the stem in a vice and carefully drilling it out?

Bike,

STOP and do not proceed! You might want to send it to me and I will do it for you. Not to bag on your age but you probably don’t have enough experience to do it correctly.You live close and you just pay for the return shipping and I will port and polish your Talon valve for you.

bikincrazy52
    Participant

Hey adam,

I don’t feel comfortable drilling out my valve, so Im not going to until i get my drill press back. However, I still need a little bit more velocity, would it be possible to file it to 3.2 mm? I have some of these really fancy small little files. Basically, how precise does it need to be? would it be ok if it’s not 100% round inside it? Thanks.

walkonking
    Participant
    quote bikincrazy52:

Hey adam,

I don’t feel comfortable drilling out my valve, so Im not going to until i get my drill press back. However, I still need a little bit more velocity, would it be possible to file it to 3.2 mm? I have some of these really fancy small little files. Basically, how precise does it need to be? would it be ok if it’s not 100% round inside it? Thanks.

Dont make me come over there and take your tools away. PUT THE FILE DOWN…..

There is more to working on the valve then just the valve stem.

bikincrazy52
    Participant

Well, I’m shooting kodiaks at 760 fps, and would like to see 800+. The only way I can see of doing this is making the valve stem bigger.

Can you elaborate on what you said about working on the valve, like what I could do to get a little more umph.

What’s the big deal about experimenting with things?

evil-eagle
    Participant

Inexperienced experimenting leads to failure. The man is trying to lend a hand. A wise man takes head to advice, while a fool rejects and questions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.