Skip to toolbar

got me a new tool

Home Forums General Mods/Machinists got me a new tool

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    cygnus-x-d82
    Participant

Cummins where in town…went there yesterday to pick up some drill bits and a drillpress…..bumped into RichT, who told me the drillbits he bought last year where same model as i had just gotten and they where crap….i decided to tjeck them out…it had been a year since he got his…maybe production had gotten better but no…4 out of 10 was bendt some more than others….one of the 10 tested was more than .25″ off….so had to go back today to return it

drillpress i got was nice….but then i saw the minimill….drove back home grabbed the drillpress which was still in its box…and got a the Mill

it comes in a wooden freight box…..weighs a TON…and just not easy to carry, damn near broke my back getting it into the basement

only thing i cant figure out is how to mount stuff to the table of it…and now all xmas money is gone 🙁 not even money for materials to machine or to get tools lol

hellratter
    Participant

Dude Cummins truck sales are dangerous! 😆 I got my mill, lathe, vertical band saw all from them, those bastards! 😀 I got some black oxide bits from them a few years ago and most of them were bent as well…they were really cheap though worth the price of the index the bits came in.

As for attaching things you’ll need a clamping kit, or precision vise, or both…littlemachineshop ..I dont remember if the mill actually comes with anything to hold down work.. 😕 I thought you were gonna say you bought one of those cheap springers they sell, they’re great little plinkers for the price!

cygnus-x-d82
    Participant

and yes those trucksales are dangerous….i had told my self not to get mill…and got the drillpress…only to go back sigh..i was looking athier airguns pistol looked like crap the rifle wasnt bad though, seals looked good…no wobely pieces….by far the best el cheapo springer i have seen.

i got som TiN drillbits the 115 piece kit back 3 years ago with my lathe…and they have been pretty good, straight at least some of them are pretty dull though….but i got a drill doctor…just gotta figure out how to use it…the come with VHS tape, but i havent had a VHS in 7-8 years now, im all DVD and PC…a kind soul did give me a dvd rip of a newer version, think i need to watch that again see if i can figure it out…the first and last bit i tried with ended up quite a bit shorter, and useless

do i need a milling vise if i get the clamping kit ?

what do i need to get started ?

i figured id get the 7 piece r8 collets, and the 20 piece endmills from LMS
    and the clamping kit…do i need anything else…im on very tight budget as i didnt really research tool prices before i bought it, and i only have about 100-150 bucks to spend on tooling, will ebay be cheaper ?

so what do i need to get HEEEEEELP (i got measurering gizmos from the lathe)

its one friggin cool piece of machinery though…hellratter does yours have gear noise ?

y
    Participant

You got a Mill? 😈

You dont “need” a milling vice if you have the clamp kit, But there might be a job down the line that would be a heck of a lot easier with the vice.

Harbour Freight has some of the same/similar things as LMS for less money.

Got any pictures of it yet?

shadoh
    Participant

Look on Ebay as well. They have those clamping kits all the time for cheap.

cygnus-x-d82
    Participant

i looked on ebay….actually seemed like LMS was about the same price
    when adding up the different stuff i need, maybe i can find a store on ebay that can ship it all together and i can save a bit

can someone give me a precise answer on what i need to make a barrel band….i need to be able to make 2 holes one for barrel and one for tank, and make the outside nice and round…and the pieces to make a reciever that will mate with the tank(b51 style)…..i figure if i have the tools for that ill be happy for a long time 🙂

i got the mill….need……?

thanks in advance

blackops
    Participant

You carried that f’ing thing?????? you nuts 😯

Clamp kit…

What I’m going to use on mine…

Congrats CygnusX!!!!

Jim.

walkonking
    Participant

What you need is one of these Digital Readouts….LOL

Take a look at my set up. What you are looking at is a belt drive, DRO, Kurt knock off vise from LMS. What you need to start is a set of collets, 2 flute and 4 flute end mill set, edge finder, center drill bit. A dial indicator and a testing setup to line up the mill. Let me look around for what else you need.

shadoh
    Participant

I dont have one but I believe you need a Rotary Table to do a partial outside radius.

walkonking
    Participant
    yellow-ninja
    Participant
    quote Blackops:

You carried that f’ing thing?????? you nuts 😯

He knew better than to call me at least…

WOK… tell him how much the DRO kit cost 😯

shadoh
    Participant

Oh, how is this an “other gun” ? )

walkonking
    Participant

Cyg,

You should take a look at this too

http://littlemachineshop.com/Info/MiniMillUsersGuide.pdf

The DRO runs about $350 and that is a good price… 🙄

yellow-ninja
    Participant
    quote Shadoh:

Oh, how is this an “other gun” ? )

I was thinking that too, but I didnt wanna be a dick and say it 😆

hellratter
    Participant

Looks like everyone already got you covered on what you need while I was at work 8)

LMS has a kit:KIT

I have this vise: VISE Holds OK.

Got the R8 collets but only use one size so far…Still want a rotary table. Love these little machines…

Edit: Yeah mine has a “whine” sound from the gears, much different sound then from the lathe but haven’t had any problems with it, got it last year….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.