Skip to toolbar

Frame Flex Observation

Home Forums AirForce General Chat Frame Flex Observation

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rhoderman
    Participant

I was shooting at some paper the other day, using my TSS on a AF bipod. I noticed that if I put any slight twisting moment into the bipod I could get a poi shift that was very repeatable.

I would move the setup so I was aiming to the right a couple feet, then swing back onto the target and shoot. This would result in a pellet poi about 1/2 to the right. I could get the same result in the other direction to the left.

I shoot from a carpeted bench/table, so that’s why I was able to get the bipod in torsion. I believe the flex is happening at the power wheel cutout. If I picked the bipod up and set it back down, I was right back on target.

The bipod has some slop to allow side to side tilt/rock, but it seems to be fairly rigid against rotating. Has anyone come up with a way to prevent this torsion binding? Is there a better bipod that doesn’t exhibit this?

Now that I’m aware of it, I lift and settle after getting POA approximate on a shot that has to count. When I’m plinking various targets, I still tend to forget about it though…

I’d read all your complaints about frame flex, but I hadn’t experienced (or actually knew I experienced) it until now.

Jim

walkonking
    Participant

You have discovered one of the nasty little things that changes POI.

Any pressure in front of the foregrip with have an effect on the barrel inside.

I do not use my bipod off of a bench. I keep all pressure on the foregrip any force directed to the frame can bugger your accuracy.

rhoderman
    Participant

Heh, and the funny part is that I would have thought a 1/2″ POI shift at 40 yards was pretty damn good, before I got the Talon that is…

I’ll be careful to avoid flexure. Thanks WOK.

photo22
    Participant

I went through the leanring curve with mine on POI shifts and the only time I hold the foregrip is when shooting offhand and it’s more like laying it in my hand at that point. I have found that by adding press. by pushing forward while useing the bipod I can get the same POI with or with out the bipod. I hope that makes sense 😕

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.