Skip to toolbar

fps-accuracy

Home Forums General Mods/Machinists fps-accuracy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    nebraska
    Participant

I hear a lot about the new value and have seen the shot strings really fast and yet accuracy suffers at these speed’s , ❓ question is what is holding air rifles back is it the pellets the barrels what.New to all this just wondering. 🙄

walkonking
    Participant

It is the design of he pellets. Due to the weight and design they can suffer in accuracy over 1000+ fps.

My Career will send Kodiak 21gr pellets down range at 1270 fps but I turn it down to 950 fps. I can hit the same targets but the accuracy is better and I use less gas.

dragonflyslayer
    Participant

Is that in .177 Cal Adam?

Well..I did what Anthony told me to do… I removed the tank and looked through the bore and lined up the shroud a bit better. There is a tiny bit of play where the shroud seats within the Talon frame until I gently snug the set screw.
    Then I was hitting every thing I could think of right dead on!

No more clipping….

I have heard that .177 pellets will crack the sound barrier or something at 1100 fps causing them to become off target?
    Is what your explaining to this gentleman this concept?

teflontron
    Participant

Dragonfly: What happens is that as the pellet starts pushing against the sound barrier it encounters a bunch of turbulence that can really throw it off course. This is made worse if you go through the sound barrier and worse still if the pellet comes back to being trans-sonic before it reaches the target as it has to go through all of that buffeting for a second time. However, that being said, there are some people who have gotten very good accuracy by shooting above the sound barrier, but they are usually using bullets pulled from a .22LR and they can take the buffeting as they are designed for it.

dragonflyslayer
    Participant

Oh yeah… thats it..
    Like my Savage 17 cal HMR will probably stay above the barrier maybe?
    2250 fps.

So Adams Carrer shoots a larger cal pellet right? And perhaps all caliber pellets have their barrier?

teflontron
    Participant

Yes, Adam’s Career is a .22 caliber. All pellets and all projectiles have a barrier that they don’t like to pass, and that is why most suggest to keep away from 1100fps and perhaps even keep it under 1000fps for optimum results.

skybones
    Participant

Dragon, Hi, I was wondering? can I borrow your squirril for a little while? You see ,my kids talked me into letting them get a kitten. That was 4 months ago. I don’t much care for cats, and this ones, on my only nerve. I think if I had your squirril , I could fix the pecking order around here. My kids kitten, Now a full throttle Cat! thinks my dog is her pet. In fact she thinks I’m her full time pet! Please let me borrow your squirril,if this crazy cat kills it! I’ll give you the cat! What do you say? tz

dragonflyslayer
    Participant

Ok Thanks Mr. TeflonTron
    As far as my squirrel goes
    Skybones
    I am afraid that my squirrel’s balls may acceed the capacity of a normal household. And right now they appear to be blue so this is out of the question in the name of public safety. Please see attached link for further instructions.
    http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd318/DragonFlySlayer/SeeTheseNuts.jpg

TeflonTron:
    We have heard of Olympic Champion match Target shooters.. But have there been really any names? Any body’s photo on a cover of a major magazine or news paper as “World Champion Air gunner” Is there?…

“?”

dragonflyslayer
    Participant

hey TeflonTron:
    So how is your blooming Airwolf mate?
    Can you show us a picture?
    Do you have any photos of some target groups on paper?

That was a .177 right?
    Thanks for the insight with the barrier necessities 😛

teflontron
    Participant

My Wolf is a .22 and she is away having a new shroud fitted.

skybones
    Participant

Thanks Dragon! your right! this crazy cat needs more prep. She still thinks I’m her pet ! I think this cat is growing way to fast! She eats,fights, shits,comes back meaner,and takes a long nap. I don’t think your squirrill will have a chance in a couple of hours. tz

dragonflyslayer
    Participant

Oh yeah… You were telling me about the shroud job. A lot of shops will not do that but you mentioned that the Wolfy was threaded on the muzzle?…That Pomona air guns seems good but it sure is hard to get a hold of that guy. I bought my SCUBA Tank from him. He is good if you can catch him. Pomona and Arizona Air Guns I like. Again both places that Mr.226 pointed me to considering where I live. he helped steer me away from Pyrimyd and their lack of quality control that I have experienced. I just bought a BSA Lightning XL with a Center Point 3X12 compact since Pyrimyd dropped the ball on my TX-200 III. Greg from Arizona suggested the BSA Lightning in all my confusion when I asked. He said it was the most quiet they have ever had. And he was helpful with knowledge regarding the other Springers I was looking at and considering.

Hey Skybones…”You do have a air rifle don’t you?”
    This is a air rifle site. You could shoot your cat and it would be cheaper. Just be sure and hit us with a photo. 🙂

y
    Participant

The sound barrier is the sound barrier no matter what your shooting, be it an airgun pellet, a .223, .308, cruise missile or a MiG29.

Powder burner bullets are stablised because of the amount of spin put on them (caused by rifling and the sheer speed).

Pellet stabilise via the drag of the skirt (rifling helps, but its the skirt mainly).

Its the skirt and the flat dome that screw up the accuracy when you start approaching the sound barrier, that nice neat skirt gets knocked around by the turbulence, while the sleek boattail powder burner bullet just cuts right through without much of a problem.

It also doesnt help that as soon as the pellet is fired its close to the sound barrier and then drops through it as it deaccelerates so is affected by the transition from sonic back to sub sonic flight more than a bullet… which will break the sound barrier before it leaves the barrel and likely never go back through it as it loses velocity unless your shooting REAL long distance.

I’m not even sure if its the actual crossing of the sound barrier that ruins accuracy, thats just what people say… I think its just the fast speed itself. Pellets are designed for relativly slow flight so even if no sound barrier was involved I doubt your bog standard pellet would do very well.

dragonflyslayer
    Participant

Kind of reminds me of Chuck Yeager hitting back in his record flight. 😆

Hey Ninja… How did you come up with that name? “Yellow Ninja”
    Are you in the US?
    And thanks for explaining to me the action of pellets. I have heard that before but you made a little more practicle sense out of it I think. It has been said that Pellet design still lacks compared to today’s air rifles. Im not so sure I entirely believe this considering what else can be done? Unless the diablos or skirts can be made from some different material. I like lead though…
    What if they could make a tracer pellet for our night time pleasure 😀

Just kidding…
    Im a little bit out there but not that far out 😯

skybones
    Participant
    quote DragonFlySlayer:

Hey Skybones…”You do have a air rifle don’t you?”
    This is a air rifle site. You could shoot your cat and it would be cheaper. Just be sure and hit us with a photo. 🙂

My cat shoots back

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.