FFP Scope advantages?

Home Forums General Optics/Nightvision FFP Scope advantages?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    dougroundup
    Participant

A little after the fact, as I already purchased a FFP scope, but what is the big advantages of the FFP type scopes?
    I need some education on the advantages and how best to realize the most advantages in my .257 Condor application?
    Obviously the recticle increases and decreases with the magnification when zooning in on the scope. I dont seem to care for this, as I rather have a nice thin crisp crosshair over a fat stripe…. Why are FFP scopes so much more expensive and at a premium?

chris-f
    Participant

The big advantage of a FFP scope is the reticle grows and shrinks in proportion to the zoom. It mainly comes into play if you’re using mildots to estimate range, or a holdover reticle to compensate for trajectory.

In a SFP scope, the mil spacing on the object ranging will change as you zoom (actually the object grows or shrinks in relation to your fixed reticle) making the mils only useful at a single zoom. Same for a holdover reticle. Your holdover hash marks are only valid at a single zoom with a SFP scope because your target and thus the holdover’s are changing as you zoom. For example, your 8 inch holdover at 3 power becomes a 2 inch holdover at 12 power.

What brand/model scope do you have?

dougroundup
    Participant

Ok , so it doesnt really do anything to the trajectory or point of aim at greater distances, it just maintains the same reference relative to magnification? Or in other words hypothetically speaking,,, Lets say I am at minimum magnification and zero’d in at 100yrds,,, now just pretend that at 150 it is one mildot difference with same magnification? Now if I increase to maximum magnification, the mildot correction at 150 should remain the same? However this would not be the case with a non FFP scope? The distances between the lines or hash marks actually would have a smaller correction to the point of impact as the magnification is increased? Ya know, I never really explored this before or took notice. I am unsure if its my lack of experience with using a mildot recticle or I just taken it for granted that when I have used variable powered scopes that I just kinda ended up at a default zoom and seldom changed. Usually leave it at maximum useable magnification, as I am usually just punching paper off the bench for groups.
    Do variable power scopes zero’d point of impact change with magnification? If so, I have never noticed in many years of shooting.
    Makes me question the practical usefulness of variable powered scopes. Almost to the opinion that for my applications they might actually suck! Might be better off to just get a scope at the highest magnification desired. When I was pretty heavy into powder burners like some 20 yrs ago,,, it was simply one choice for a variable mag you bought a leuopold. I owned several of the vari-x series with a couple of those scopes exceeding twice the investment spent on the actual firearm.
    My present experience with airguns has opened my mind about budget scopes. I have been very pleased with some real cheapies such as BSA , Leapers and NCStar.
    PLEASE DONT LAUGH WHEN I TELL YOU ABOUT WHAT I HAVE FOR A FFP SCOPE!!! I bought it for use on my long range .257 cast lead boolit Condor.
    Huh! I am almost too embarrased to say…..
    Well, just for shits, giggles farts and grins…. I placed a RIDICHULOUSLY LOW BID on E-Bay (experimenting with a sniping tool app none the less) and WON the auction for a FFP 8-18x 56 mm SWF mildot scope .
    I had actually forgotten all about it until I checked back some time later and recieved several notifications to please authorize my payment and pay for the item.
    I did notice after the fact that however the shipping rate was greatly inflated!
    Regardless the price was still insanely low… My expectations were very skeptical. After several weeks, I had once again forgotten the whole transaction.
    About a month and a half later I recieved a beatup torn and tattered parcel from Hong Kong in the mail.
    Inside the parcel was a sealed box containing a brand new generic no name scope.
    Overall,,, I am impressed with how stout (and quite heavy too) this Scope actually is. It is very fully featured and quite useable. When considering the price , I am extremely impressed that this scope is useful at all!!!
    It appears suspiciously similar to the same body style of the UTG Leapers Accushot line of scopes. It has that same extended body that is angled outward beyond the front of the objective lens like a visor or sunshade.. So far it seems to have a decent image throughout the whole magnification range. It maintains an ability to focus up as to as close as ten or less yards and on up beyond infinity throughout rhe whole magnification range. It does however require some small amount of re-focus when zooming at shorter distances.
    At maximum magnification it does suffer more from the glare of the sun during late afternoons right before usual sundown. Reduced magnification seems to resolve this… It has a (NONILLUMINATED) glass etched mildot recticle. I find the recticle to be a bit thicker and less fine for my preference, but I do like that they did without the battery operated illumination. The turrets are pretty cool with the way you can depress and rotate them to zero calibrate the scope . I optically centered my scope and mounted it in rings that have been compensated with a few degrees of cant. From there I only required minimum
    push and turn rotation to place the hash marks to zero in at 75 yards. Hopefully these turrets will track consistiently and repeatably. The detents arent as near super crisp as I would have liked them to be…. I am at nervously at the edge of my seat to see if they are going to be this scopes downfall,,,, however so, it has seemed to maintain its point of aim with little or no wavering from the few shot to shot rounds placed so far….It has plenty of hash marks and numbers for referencing,,,I hope that it will track and moves the recticle consitiently.
    I have had very little time using this scope just yet. I sighted it in the full 70 yard distance of my backyard with the first shot only about an inch low. Two more shots and about 10 clicks and it was right where i was looking at the intersecting lines…. Time will tell….. I just need to take the time to fully familiarize myself and get an idea of what to know what I should expect with the features of this scope. It has reference marks on every adjustment. The marks for distance on the side focus seem close but off by about three yards at the nearest distance. It reads ten yards at its mimimum marking but it goes further down below that….. I want to learn how to incorporate all these settings for making ballistic predictions and test how accurate and useful of features this scope really is…

zilog
    Participant

“Lets say I am at minimum magnification and zero’d in at 100yrds,,, now just pretend that at 150 it is one mildot difference with same magnification? Now if I increase to maximum magnification, the mildot correction at 150 should remain the same? However this would not be the case with a non FFP scope?”

On a FFP scope the first mildot will be 150 yards aim point no matter what power you set the zoom at.

On a SFP the aim point for 150 yards will vary deepening on the power of zoom you set. Only at one predetermined power will the spacing be true mildot.

“Do variable power scopes zero’d point of impact change with magnification?”

Some really cheap scopes do wonder about as you zoom in and out but even your basic model brand scope now will hold as close to true that you would never notice.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.