Skip to toolbar

Extended cocking period and air pressure

Home Forums AirForce General Chat Extended cocking period and air pressure

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    jeremiah-29-11
    Participant

Does anybody have any thoughts on whether the air pressure varies and the Talon SS has been cocked for from several hours to a day.

The problem is I cannot shoot this squirrel from my door because as soon as I open the door the he runs, so now I am shooting from a window.
    The distance is 25 yards typically and I can hit a golf ball at that distance.
    I still need to send it to Anthony266 to get it tuned. When the squirrel comes back again it might be 2-8 hours before I see him again and when I shoot him I miss and I think it because my accuracy is off due to lower air pressure.

Anybody have any thoughts on that?

I hope you guys aren’t laughing because I missed.

y
    Participant

leaving the gun cocked for a few hours shouldnt cause a problem and the pressure should stay the same unless theres a leak. Temperature change can cause a pressure change but that shouldnt make much of a difference if any at just 25 yards.

Why do you keep the gun cocked? You can have the gun with a pellet in the barrel and uncock the gun if you dont want to load a shot. After you cock and load the pellet just hold the breech forward and pull the trigger and let the breech come back slowly and it will be uncocked. Then just cock it and its ready.

I’d suggest sticking a box/target out there, shoot a few shots into the box and then wait a few hours and shoot some more and see what happens.

anthony266
    Keymaster

Hahahaha…

You missed.

Seriously J,
    Unless your tank is leaking, fill to 2800psi.
    Leaving your rifle cocked should have no effect on it.

Recreate your shooting senario with a piece of cardboard with a 1/2” dot on it exactly where Mr. Grey is hanging out. Shoot the target just as if you are shooting him. Take note where your rifle is hitting. Keep your reticle level.

Learn how your rifle shoots, follow through with your shot, keep the crosshairs on the target a second after the gun fires.

Keep Mr. Grey busy with the bait. Peanut butter on a pine cone. Make him work for it to keep him still.

Practice, that’s the fun part.

Good Luck
    Tony

anthony266
    Keymaster

Dammit YN…

Beat me by 8 minutes

sacshooter
    Participant

Another trick is to spread peanut butter on a cracker then stick the cracker to a tree. The squirrel will be forced to eat the cracker in place. Even if he gets the cracker he will come back to lick the peanut butter stuck to the tree. The tree makes a good backstop and the squirrels will end up right where you want them to be.

anthony266
    Keymaster
    quote :

Another trick is to spread peanut butter on a cracker then stick the cracker to a tree. The squirrel will be forced to eat the cracker in place. Even if he gets the cracker he will come back to lick the peanut butter stuck to the tree. The tree makes a good backstop and the squirrels will end up right where you want them to be.

Very good idea Sac….
    Will give that one a try.

I heard of another story involving a cracker and a circle of guys around it.

walkonking
    Participant

Hahahahahaaaaa,Hahahahahaaa…..Sorry I was laughing at something else not you I swear 🙄

So, you are shooting from a window? Are you resting your gun directly on the window sill? If you are stop it. Resting the end of the gun on the window sill can through off accuracy. Also make sure your scopes parrallax setting is dead on at the range you are shooting.

And if you really want to shoot him. Put a big gopher trap out there and when he trips it you can shoot his little corpse all you want 😈 Just kidding for those who have no sense of humor….. 😛

synopsys
    Participant
    quote WalkonKing:

Resting the end of the gun on the window sill can through off accuracy.

Would a BiPod do the same thing….! 😕

teflontron
    Participant
    quote Anthony266:

quote :

Very good idea Sac….

Don, Denskin and Benp, right?

walkonking
    Participant
    quote synopsys:

quote WalkonKing:

Resting the end of the gun on the window sill can through off accuracy.

Would a BiPod do the same thing….! 😕

It does when it is mounted at the end of the frame. It is better to mount the bipod on the foregrip or as close as possible.

walkonking
    Participant
    quote TeflonTron:

quote Anthony266:

quote :

Very good idea Sac….

Don, Denskin and Benp, right?

I heard they called it the Lemon Party…. 😆

sacshooter
    Participant
    quote :

I heard they called it the Lemon Party…. 😆

Whatever they call it I think it helped the 3 word story 😆

ok I’m back to topic, is the window on the same floor?

jeremiah-29-11
    Participant

Thanks for those suggestions. I actually have my Harris bipod on the foregrip and the bipod is down and resting on the window sill.

I like the peanut butter on the cracker trick…..Get Smart…….Missed it by that much. 😀

Have a great Thanksgiving!

jeremiah-29-11
    Participant

Well, I went out and shot about 50 rounds and while I did hit the bulls eye severl times at 25 yards my consistency was about the size of an orange.

In the past, it was about the size of a golf ball. It for sure was a cold day and slightly windy but I do not think it should have impacted it that much.

It seems like I was chasing the show with the scope adjustment and just about the time I thought it was getting better it would change. The reticule looks level but I may need to get a scope level just to be sure.

When it decides to quite raining in Texas I will try it again.

At this point, I am not sure what is going on. FYI – My scope is a Leapers 6-24X by 56mm.

Any suggestions?

anthony266
    Keymaster

Something is very wrong….
    At 25 yards your target should be a small cluster of holes.
    Thats with slight wind and or rain.
    What pellets are you using?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.