Drawing of proposed full stock, Pics added 1/10

Home Forums AirForce General Chat Drawing of proposed full stock, Pics added 1/10

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    bodhisdad
    Participant

What do you guys think of this one? The drawing shows where it could be skeletonized. The piece which comes from the bottom of the grip to the stock would be thicker then the stock body itself, that will add some strength. Also still debating on the trigger guard area and if it should be open or closed off, the more i think on it, i believe it should be closed. That would really anchor the upper rails to the rest of the stock. Let me know your thoughts on this, will probably cut out the template sometime this weeekend. It comes in around 24-25″ or so. I believe it will take care of any frame flex and compliments the frame. I’ve been messing around with this idea for some time and think i got a winner, you guys be the judge.

Also included a different grip i’ve been working on as well as the foregrip it’d put on the full stock. I’d like to change th lip some on the foregrip. This is Mahogany which is a nice wood to work with. It was given to me to see what i could do with it, you know who you are.

rabbits
    Participant

i,ve been waitng on u .lol well mate i,m glad to c u trying a full stock it,s about time u did .i,m looking at your drawing and the one wee bit i,m thinking u could have a wee problem with is the thumbhole section watch u don,t take to much wood away from the top bit just below the bottle other than that i think it could be a very nice and sharp looking stock .now get on with it ..lol 😛

bodhisdad
    Participant

Rabbits, i figured i’d decrease the radius a bit. Start a cut 1/2″ inside the lines and see how it fits to the hand, take what material i need from there. Will also cut straight across the blank in the area you mentioned and countersink the tank into the blank some, which would bring the line along the tank up some, 1/4″ could easily be gained and i got 1/2″ as the scaled drawing shows. Decrease the radius by another 1/4″ would give me 1″ of material in the area of concern. I’ll be working with 2″ walnut, so thats plenty strong, and the design with the strut at the bottom of the grip would have to crack along with the top area, at least as i see it. We’re thinking along the same lines. I just didn’t want to do a traditional thumbhole, i’m sure things will change a little as i go along, theyalways do.

rabbits
    Participant

ye bodi i hear what u r saying . something i have learned from the two i have done to the thumbhole a rough out and then do the bottle section then u will know what u can take away .as always u have a lovely bit off wood to play with but after new year it,s your turn to find me some and ship it out to me lol MATE .realy need to get some nice stuff for a few sets off grip and a stock for my rimmi .the thumbhole u r going for is an idea i have looked at and it works well and u could also r a similar grip to what u do already into it to make the prosess a little easyer for your self . as u said the design alway,s change,s as we go and thats how we like to do them .keep it up mate . 😀

get-the-blue-jay
    Participant

I like it, so far so good 😀 😀

poi
    Participant

Looking good so far Bodi ❗

POI

buba-b
    Participant

Got to get my cheisels out to see if i can catch up with u guys 😀 , like the design ,looks like your pushing yourself Bodhisdad , which is how we suprise each other hehe rabbits will come up with something next lol

dnc
    Participant

I like it

rabbits
    Participant
    quote Buba b:

Got to get my cheisels out to see if i can catch up with u guys 😀 , like the design ,looks like your pushing yourself Bodhisdad , which is how we suprise each other hehe rabbits will come up with something next lol

i,m on it the now mate lol.na i,m still pondering with the full stock i was doing . got other idea,s but i,ll hold onto them the now till i can get some new wood (bodi )lol 😀

blackops
    Participant

Like it Bod! keep us posted…

Like the style of the foregrip how it drops down like the Air Wolf.

Jim.

riffraff
    Participant

Sweet!!!

That is very similar to what I had in mind Bodhisdad, very similar.

My design does not try to cradle the bottle at all, rather the buttstock extends backward from the grip near the bottom. A morgan or other swiveling buttplate can swing up behind the bottle, but not touch it. Only contact points between the stock and frame would be the trigger group rail. Carefully done, it could be glassed in place and make a very snug fit.

Glad to see somebody with real skill tackling this idea, cant wait to see if it works as planned.

photo22
    Participant

Now that is Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bodhisdad
    Participant

Thanks for the support, i thought it looked good drawn up, we’ll see what i can do from here. I’ve done my best in bringing the frame into the stock as much as possible by using the same angles. I have thought on it and will close the trigger area off, i feel it will be much less likely to incur any frame flex.

I had thought to rest the stock just up to the tank, try to be a papers width under it.

I have my Jig saw in my work trailer, 45minutes from home 1 way sucks. I’d like to cut the template accurately, i have a bandsaw but it would be easier to do with the Jig saw. Be almost cheaper just to go purchase a new one. Definately need it for the thumbhole and any skeletonizing i’d do. I’d like to get it going this week, we’ll see i’ll post updates on this as i go. Thanks for the show of hands, i will produce it.

blackops
    Participant

I was wondering how you cut out a thumbhole…thought you used a forster? bit or something??? then filed/sanded it to shape. I need to ask my Dad how he did his.

Jim.

bodhisdad
    Participant

Jim i was refering to the template, but this thumhole is different then the tradtional version, much more open in which i probably could use the jig saw on it then sand and square to the line with my drumsander.If it was truly a thumhole then yes, i’ve seen where a forstner bit is used and how its used to bore through on a angle.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.