Does this shroud make any sense?

Home Forums Other Guns Other Guns Does this shroud make any sense?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    teflontron
    Participant

I got my Wolf back from Pomona on Friday and was taking a look over the Shroud, as you do, and one thing that has been puzzling me is that there is a large gap between the bottom of the shroud and the tank. Not only that, but the shroud isn’t a closed tube, but rather only the front section is, whilst the section from the tank back is open on the bottom. Now, I’m sure that Pomona have gone through rigorous testing to get the best design within reason, but I’ve been thinking about this all weekend and for the life of me I cannot think why the shroud is open. Sure, I know it’s because they had to cut the tube to fit, but closing it off wouldn’t be too hard for a company with access to a professional machine shop So, any thoughts on this?

Here’s a pic (not mine) to better illustrate what I mean:

I’ve been thinking that it might increase the effectiveness of the shroud if I removed it and added washers/springs/foam or whatever down the length of the barrel, and somehow sealed the shroud up. What do you think of that?

j3magnum
    Participant

it would be my guess that it may be part of that grayyyyyyy area that gaylord so often speaks of……have you tried it yet….also you may want o get a by-stander to soot and listen to the report….I was suprized to here my talon when my son shot it….I thought it was loud but 3 feet away al i heard was poooof….

teflontron
    Participant

Well, I shot the Wolf when I first got it and shot it a few times over the weekend, and I can definitely say that it is much quieter now that it was 10 weeks ago pre-shroud (it’s well pickled SS quiet). You may have a point about the Gaylord thing, as although the Wolf is shrouded from the factory, Pomona are making an after-market part for it, but many other companies also make shrouds and non of those are open. At the moment I’m putting it down to it being too much work for Pomona to seal off the bottom, lol.

cygnus-x-d82
    Participant

hmmm……cosmetic ?

alot of shrouds are open in the back….to relase the air that has now slowed down and wont make much noise….

but from the picture it looks like all along where the bottle is theres open downwards….

i think what they are trying to do is making ti look like a shroud while actually being a LDC…so the front is closed off like a LDC…and from the bottle and back is just for looks sake.

i think police is less likely to take notice to the shroud even if it is a “fake” one…then if you had a mod at the end at the barrel, and that might be what pomona had in mind ??

triggerman
    Participant

What did Steve @ Pomona have to say about it. I have talked to him several times on the phone and he is a nice guy, just hard to get off the phone with him once he gets started.

teflontron
    Participant

I didn’t get the chance to talk with Steve about it yet as he has been away this weekend. I’m trying not to call him though as this shroud has overshot its projected delivery date to me by a factor of about five weeks (no real fault of Steve’s) so the last thing I want to do is bother him again.

What I’m tempted to do is remove the shroud and add some materials after the “ldc” part (Cyg, I think that you may be onto something there, and that is exactly right: all along by the bottle is open on the bottom) as it seems a huge waste to me to have about 12″ of space that is in effect not doing anything. However, I can’t really see how to remove the shroud and the last thing I want to do is break something, but I suspect that Pomona won’t be helpful in telling me how to dismantle their shroud for obvious reasons. The only thing that I dislike about the shroud is that it blocks the scope rail which means that I have to use risers, which although fine in itself does somewhat spoil the aesthetics for me.

rob3dr
    Participant

I’ve done shrouds on Crosman guns that have ruined accuracy… when a hollow tube does just fine. Sure, not as quiet, but accuracy doesnt suffer.

…. perhaps they wanted a compromise between quiet, legal, and accurate?

airtramp
    Participant

Tron, Can you not just seal the gap with chewing gun and see if you can hear a difference? I wonder if a small openning may actually make the shroud more effective. Once the pressure in a closed shroud build up to a certain level, it probably won’t take in more air. A small vent may increase the shroud’s ability to process more of that pressure pulse compared to a closed one. Just trying to make up a possible reason here 😉

sluggo
    Participant

I think they leave it open to dispense air over a larger area. That way it will not affect accuracy.
    Also, the dia of the shroud will not work with the bottle. It would have to be cut or the raised.
    Steve had commented that he has tested other shrouds and the design that they came up with is the one you have.
    They seem to work pretty well.

anthony266
    Keymaster

Remember there is also a barrel support in there that keeps the baffles centered. I doubt that it is vented.

So it is a sealed system and the whole shroud volume in not utilized.

Looks good and if it works…..

walkonking
    Participant

I understand they are more quiet then AZ.

Just to let you know my high tech non electric air pistol also has a sloted shroud and works well…lol

teflontron
    Participant

Well, it seems to be working okay and I think that a lot of the noise that I am hearing is the pellet impact and echo as I have just been shooting it indoors. Hopefully I can take it outside when the rain stops.

WoK: Yes, everyone who has compared the two says that the PAG Wolf is quieter than both the PAG Rapid and AZ Rapid.

sluggo
    Participant
    quote TeflonTron:

Well, it seems to be working okay and I think that a lot of the noise that I am hearing is the pellet impact and echo as I have just been shooting it indoors. Hopefully I can take it outside when the rain stops.

WoK: Yes, everyone who has compared the two says that the PAG Wolf is quieter than both the PAG Rapid and AZ Rapid.

If it’s quieter than a PAG Rapid (you have nothing to worry about) 😀 😀

anthony266
    Keymaster
    sluggo
    Participant

I wonder what the burr was?
    He said the the AW has a higher ping then the Rapid (both have a PAG shroud)
    Must be the hammer making that noise.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.