Crosman 2240 Pistol

Home Forums Other Guns Other Guns Crosman 2240 Pistol

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    y
    Participant

This has been needing new seals ever sicne I bought all the parts new at the start of the year. Finally got around to ordering a new stem from Crosman and bought some o-rings to replace the ones that had gotton torn up a bit.

I ordered a 2240 from the Crosman custom shop, sold the 2240 valve and tube and replaced them with a 2250 tube and a Boss Valve with Bulk fill end cap. Also replaced the barrel with one from a 2250.

Shoots CP’s at around 575 for just over 10 fpe. Need to mes with it to get around the 600 fps mark.

teflontron
    Participant

YN: how do you find bulk-fill on a pistol? Doesn’t having a huge tank hanging off of the from kind of take away from the practicality and make it awkward to shoot?

walkonking
    Participant

Tron,

The way you bulk fill a pistol is to cock the gun to open the valve. Connect a bulk fill setup on the gun and dump CO2 into the pistol to chill it and dump the CO2. Close the valve and open the bulk again to fill the gun. To do it properly the gun should be weighed as it is filled to determine the correct amount of CO2. If you over fill the gun it will freeze up and you will get valve lock.

Many guys just guess at the amount and that will work of course sooner or later you will screw up…LOL

teflontron
    Participant

Ah, so the CO2 is internal and the bulk fill is basically just like a giant powerlet? Cool. That beats having a huge tank hanging of the pistol/rifle? CO2 is low psi, so what is to stop you pumping it with low pressure air?

walkonking
    Participant
    quote TeflonTron:

Ah, so the CO2 is internal and the bulk fill is basically just like a giant powerlet? Cool. That beats having a huge tank hanging of the pistol/rifle? CO2 is low psi, so what is to stop you pumping it with low pressure air?

Nothing except the valve ripping itself through your forehead when it tears free of the gun body and exits out the back of the gun. 😛

teflontron
    Participant

Oh. Why?

walkonking
    Participant
    quote TeflonTron:

Oh. Why?

Valves for CO2 are not held in as secure as on for PCP. A PCP valve has to use a very strong bolts to make sure they are held in due to the increase pressure.

I dont even trust the CO2 2240 valve so I added set screws to give it more support.

you can see the set screw on the gun main tube. I have one on both sides

teflontron
    Participant

So what would it take to turn a vanilla 2240/2250 into a pcp?

rob3dr
    Participant

Tron….

2240 to PCP would require a new tube, possibly a new valve although the ssp225 valve works in my current 2240 PCP.

I’ve got Joe Bontrager making me another 2240 PCP. He uses a 1 inch tube, completely redesigned valve and hammer… all this on a 2240 frame, breech, and barrel.

His prices are reasonable and the shots are great. 15 shots from a stock barrel 2240…. around 14fpe. With a longer barrel, you’ll get more shots.

edit… and WOK is right about the valve… especially in a PCP config, they must be secured. Joe adds four screws to hold the valve in place aside from the screw that the frame attaches to the tube with.

walkonking
    Participant
    quote TeflonTron:

So what would it take to turn a vanilla 2240/2250 into a pcp?

That would take a guy like John Bontrager who knows what he is doing. The entire valve and maintube would need to be manufactured to hold the pressures and be safe. The only thing left is the barrel, breech and grip frame.

I bet Rob and Terry could give you Johns website to check out his stuff

rob3dr
    Participant
    rob3dr
    Participant

…and Ross… back on subject with your gun. Very nice. I love the contrasting green on the breech with the rest of the gun. Nicely done!

teflontron
    Participant

Sweet! Thanks for the help guys. A while back I was going to get Walter Glover to do me a 2250 pcp, but what with recent developments I don’t hold out for that working out too well. 😆

nuglor
    Participant

Oh… there are so many more mods that can be done to a 22xx to get the fps up besides going to HPA. Obviously a longer barrel helps, but enlarging the transfer ports and using a stronger hammer spring or hammer adjuster can get major gains. Here is a pic of 3 of my 22xx’s. All of them are Co2 and range from 600fps to 710fps in .22. The one in the Steve Cochran stock shoots around 675 fps for the first couple of shots on a powerlet. The camo one shoots over 700 fps and is a bulk fill. All 3 have heavier hammer springs and enlarged transfer ports. You can learn about some great mods at this site.

http://www.network54.com/Realm/CFTech/CFTech.htm

nuglor
    Participant
    quote Adam in SoCal:

Tron,

The way you bulk fill a pistol is to cock the gun to open the valve.

This doesn’t make sense…. Cocking the gun does not open the valve on a 22xx. The valve is spring loaded and will only open when the hammer strikes the valve stem.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.