Condor SS- Difficulty cocking

Home Forums AirForce Condor/Condor SS Condor SS- Difficulty cocking

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    knifemaker
    Participant
    quote oakey631:

quote knifemaker:

quote oakey631:

I used silicone grease because I have Tony slap hammer mod plus there parts are not all metal in that system. An O-Ring behind my top hat as well. Also I am starting to wonder if the breach is made of Metal as well.

Once again, do not use sil grease for the outside of the hammer or inside of the frame wheer the hammer rides. Grease is far too gummy. Use dry graphite.

Use Sil. Grease for the “0” Rings only.

KnifeMaker

Once Again?

knifemaker Β» Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:15 pm

Sil. Grease is not a lubricant. Other than for “O” Ring. All it is good for in this aplication is gumbing up the works, slowing everything down, prventing proper engagement, and catching a LOT of grit and debre. For the trigger parts, any fine oil. For the frame housing where the hammer rides, spray graphite. The carrier dries, and leaves nothing but graphite.

Yep!

treeburnerct
    Participant

I guess what I’ll be doing this weekend is taking the Maddog stock off my gun again, removing the tank and collar and pulling the breech out through the back. Really need to find where it’s hanging up, because I can’t keep beating up my finger the way I have been. Stupid rail is so sharp that I’ve bursted a bunch of blood vessels on the side of my finger struggling to cock it.

Having never removed the breech before, is there anything I should know before I start? Instructions in a previous thread suggested it was as simple as removing the tank and collar, removing the cocking knob and then the breech would slide out the back. Once that’s out the hammer and weight will come out? Anything else, or can I then take a dremel to it?

Thanks again, between this, the original clipping issue and now some random inaccuracy (which may actually be my new Hawke Sidewinder 8-32x scope which I’m returning) this gun is becoming more of a pain than a joy.

-TB

deerkllr
    Participant

I am aving the same exact issues with my talon ss.

oakey631
    Participant

Since I tore down my gun removed all silicone grease took apart the trigger and lubed it up real good I have not had any coking issues. But prior to the lube of the trigger parts about every 20 or so pellets I would have a real hard time cocking it. Been a few hundred pellets and no issues at all!

charliew
    Participant

Well I’ve been reading and ordering parts but today I tried to cock the condor ss for the first time to see how loud it was and I guess the tank leaked down from when i hand pumped it up awhile ago and it took both thumbs with the muzzle on the rug on the floor to cock it. I ordered the hammer with the slap mod from tony so I guess I will have to redo this brand new 700.00 gun not counting the upgrades to make it decent. Man this gun just keeps getting worse, it’s a good thing I don’t give up but I would never reccommend one of these to anyone without making sure they want to work on it more than shoot it.

Well I went back and cocked it about ten times and discovered it does have air in the tank it just doesn’t fire every time. Still real hard to cock so when I get the hammer I will go through it to see what all is wrong, why it doesn’t release air and why it’s so hard to cock. It sure makes your thumbe sore. I will probably remove the toggle also. I hope the af engineers aren’t aggies. My son is a aggis me. I’m afraid to show this gun to my son he will think I am really stupid for dealing with this thing. I guess centerfire stuff even the cheap ones spoiled me.

dyotat100
    Participant

Sounds like you don’t have enough pre load on the hammer so the valve is not opening all the way. Does the tank have 3000 psi in it?

knifemaker
    Participant

hope the af engineers aren’t aggies.

Your cracking me up! πŸ˜†

I’ll bet it’s that dayum new saftey! πŸ‘Ώ

charliew
    Participant

Yes I pumped it up to 3k before I put it up and never tried to fire it till lately. It doesn’t feel gritty or anything it just feels like the spring is really strong and it takes a lot of effort to compress it. When I get the new hammer I will take it down to everything out and with the help from the pictures here try to get it figgured out. Maybe by then I will have a fill line fabbed up to use the max air compressor to recharge the tank. I ordered the regulator from the guy in cz also to see how that works so when i have time it will be a project that can be done under the air conditioning instead of the tx heat. Oh yeah I also ordered a 23.8inch 25 cal barrel from the guys in co. They had them almost finished except for blueing thursday. I didn’t tell them I was very particular about the inside of the barrel so I will seehow that turns out. I use the hawkeye borescope on all the barrels before I shoot them to see what I am starting with.

Well the barrel will get shipped today 9/09 afer a couple of hickups from R&L.

oakey631
    Participant

After having similar issues as charlie. I broke my trigger down lubed it up good with Molly and since have not had any issues with cocking the gun. I was having real difficulty cocking it every 20 to 30 pellets. It was odd how it happened I really had to use serious force to cock it. I have 500 to 600 pellets through my Condor and still not one incident with cocking.

charliew
    Participant

I’ve been around guns a loooong time and this really just feels like the spring is really strong. There is no gritty feeling just serious compression on cocking. The thumb wheel is turned all the way down, I’m guessing thats why it doesn’t release any air most of the time. Kinda like what Tony said. Also there is about .005 slop inbetween the breech cover and the tophat. I haven’t tried to adjust the top hat as that will require a new recharging of the tank and I haven’t got the compressor put together with a fill hose yet and there is no way I’m going to pump this tank back up to 3k with that hand pump, ever again. I’m sorta wishing I had invested this money on a colt 901 308 and acog scope and probably 3-400 rounds of ammo or a atn-ps40-2. After reading up on the colt the adapter is not available to switch uppers so a sr 25 would be the best deal for me for a switchable upper ar in the 308 case size.

Added 9/16–After reading up the colt is probably ok but too expensive. It DOES NOT come with the 223 adapter so it is really a sr25 competitor I guess. I will just get uppers for the 223 ar lower as 150 yards is about all I need anyway for my uses. 6.5 grendel is in the plan. The ak round is not bad but a accurate ak is really dreaming.

knifemaker
    Participant

Why would adjusting the top hat require recharging a full tank? πŸ˜•

You need to give me a call. Number was in one of the pm’s.

Knife

ldp
    Participant

If it is really hard to cock and you do not get air discharge sometimes i would think you have something that is interfering with the hammer and its ability to move correctly. The hammer spring is not that heavy of a spring.

knifemaker
    Participant

In fact, the stock spring is pretty darned weak. πŸ˜‰ On low power, it darned near not there at all. πŸ˜†

ashleyco
    Participant

I have the same issue about every 20 times I cock it.

oakey631
    Participant

Sorry Charlie πŸ˜• I hate to hear folks having issues with their guns. I have a few bucks wrapped up in my Condor and I have had so much fun moding it out and making the gun better in every way. Talon Tunes make good stuff. That slap hammer mod will really make you gun quiet. Not certain if you broke down the trigger or not? Good luck.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.