Q:

Condor or Edgun???

So I’ve been lurking around the boards for a while but I’m a new member. I’ve been through all the boards about the Condor and the Edgun but I would like some advice. Preferably from people who have owned both the Condor and the Edgun Matador but any advice is greatly appreciated.

I’ve never shot a PCP rifle before and I’m not really into shooting guns with real bullets, but the idea of blasting a pellet through the air seems like a lot of fun. I just placed an order for the Condor from Pyramyd Air but it’s estimated to be out of stock until January 10th and I was thinking about canceling my order because I’m also very interested in the Edgun. I thought it was a lot of money to spend at first, but the more I researched it, the more I liked the features over that of the Condor.

I probably wouldn’t do a lot of modding to the internals of the Condor but the first thing I thought I would do was get rid of the safety. I like the Edgun for the lack of a safety because I feel like I’m a better safety over a mechanical device. Another thing I thought I would do to the Condor would be to get a shroud from Tony, but that was to be decided after I heard how loud it is without it. I would most likely buy it.

I was planning on purchasing a Hill pump with the dry-pac but would definitely consider getting a 4500 psi tank in the future. Is it possible to fill the Edgun with a pump or will I need a tank? I’m a pretty strong guy and I can handle the continuous pumping so that’s not an issue for me.

Money isn’t really an issue for me so I can afford to spend the money on an Edgun, but I would like to save wherever possible, like purchasing a pump over a tank. Plus, having the pump would be a good backup for when I’m unable to get my tank filled.

So I’d like to know:
1. I’m brand new to air rifles so should I go with the Condor or the Edgun Matador as a first gun?
2. I want it to work great right out of the box and I’d prefer not to mod it to make me appreciate it more, so again, Condor or Edgun?
3. Will the Hill pump work just fine or am I FORCED to by a tank in order to fill it?

I would go with a .22 caliber for either gun as I don’t really see the need for a .25 caliber and I would use it for both targets and animals; mainly birds but I’d like to also get rabbits and other small game. I saw a picture of Ed with a jackrabbit so I know the Edgun is capable of this, but is the Condor better? I also have a Hawke 6.5-20X42 sidewinder 30 tactical scope picked out and I’d go with a Harris swivel 6″-9″ bipod with leg notches if I decide to even get a bipod.

My mind is pretty set on the Edgun but advantages and disadvantages of both would be nice.

Ryan

BullPup General Chat

All Replies

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

I sent my deposit to Tony for the Edgun and I can only hope that he gets it before the incoming inventory get’s purchased by other people. If he does get it in time, I’ll probably be getting my Edgun sometime in February 😀

Haha, for now I think I’m going to keep the idea of the pump. It’s a great backup in case I’m not able to get a tank filled and I feel the urge to shoot a bunch of stuff right then and there! I’ll eventually get a 4500 PSI carbon Fiber tank and probably the shoebox compressor when I’m ready because there’s absolutely no way I’m not going to LOVE this sport!

Thank you everyone for your input!

Ryan

My first PCP was a condor, and it is a great gun. Super powerful and pretty accurate right out of the box. And I can personally attest to the fact Tony can improve on both. Since purchasing the condor I bought a Talon, Daystate, AA S-410, and Edgun Matador. The S-410 is a great gun, superior to the Airforce guns out of the box, but none of the above are close to the Edgun! It is amazingly accurate and the workmanship is awesome. The downside is it is expensive but that doesn’t sound like a problem for you. My personal vote is for an Edgun for superior performance right out of the box. My other suggestion is to scrap the idea of a hand pump and go with the tank. An even better choice is a compressor if you are serious about the sport!

Best of luck with your choice and I hope you enjoy the sport!

quote :

If “money is not an issue” why not get on the waiting list for the Edgun, buy a condor from one of the many places that sell them, familiarize yourself with the condor or talonss…while your waiting for the Edgun to arrive, and once it arrives if you decide your a “one airgun man only” (highly unlikely) sell whichever one you like least.

I actually had thought about that but it would probably cause me to spend more money than I WANT to spend. I’m new to the boards but I have read a lot of topics and I don’t think I’ve seen a talon/condor sell for more than what someone bought it for without a lot of Mods and extras. If I were to buy one and then sell it, I would be selling the gun in stock form with the possible exception of an added shroud. I would probably reinstall the safety assuming I remove it but that’s also debatable depending on if the buyer wanted it installed or not. I have a feeling I’m going to like the Edgun more than the AF rifles.

quote :

Having said that, I would suggest starting with the Talon SS. Spend some time just learning to shoot it. Play around with different pellets and different parts and accessories. Do some mods; start simple and work your way up. You will learn a huge amount about air guns by experimentation and just generally fiddling around. Do all the mods you think need to turn the Talon SS into your idea of the perfect gun.

Once you are tired of fiddling around, buy an Edgun. You will love it, and you will understand just how refined it is and appreciate much more than if you bought it as your first gun.

I was interested in the Talon SS but Pyramyd Air said they couldn’t ship it to Michigan because of the silencer feature that it has…Michigan is one of the states with some of the more strict regulations when it comes to airguns but it’s not the worst by any means. It’s just really inconvenient, especially when companies don’t quite understand all the different state regulations.

I don’t really want to do the mods to turn it into my desired gun. I like buying the best to suit my needs the first time around and based on what you said, it sounds like the Edgun is the way to go. I am a tinkerer and I like to mod things, but I don’t know if I’d want to start messing around with a 500-600 dollar gun. If I were to go along the route you suggested, I think I would start out with a cheapo brand airgun and mess around with that one.

I’m the type to do a lot of research about the products I’m interested in and I’ve already watched Ed’s youtube videos about cleaning the gun, adjusting the trigger and the velocity, and everything else he had to offer in his informative videos. I also did a lot of research on the AF rifles and I have found detailed spec sheets about modding these guns, but like I said before I like the buy what I feel is the best for me the first time around. I don’t think going this route will make me any less appreciative of the Edgun because I’ve seen what it can do and I like what I see compared to the AF rifles.

Thanks for your opinion acourvil, but based on what you said, it actually pushed me more towards the Edgun. This probably wasn’t your intention but I still value what you said.

Well, I’m one of the folks who started with a Talon SS and sold it and got an Edgun Matador. The Edgun will be here for a long time.

Having said that, I would suggest starting with the Talon SS. Spend some time just learning to shoot it. Play around with different pellets and different parts and accessories. Do some mods; start simple and work your way up. You will learn a huge amount about air guns by experimentation and just generally fiddling around. Do all the mods you think need to turn the Talon SS into your idea of the perfect gun.

Once you are tired of fiddling around, buy an Edgun. You will love it, and you will understand just how refined it is and appreciate much more than if you bought it as your first gun.

I feared this topic would teeter on sacrilege…This is TAG Talon Airgun Forum, and although I don’t own an Edgun I have read enough to believe that they are arguably one of the best crafted airguns in the world.

If “money is not an issue” why not get on the waiting list for the Edgun, buy a condor from one of the many places that sell them, familiarize yourself with the condor or talonss…while your waiting for the Edgun to arrive, and once it arrives if you decide your a “one airgun man only” (highly unlikely) sell whichever one you like least.

I have owned 10 different PCP’s in my short two year PCP affair and thus far the airforce are—hands down—my favorites! I own three of them.

Also keep in mind that some people prefer rifles over bullpups so you have to decide which ergonomics you prefer. I don’t think the Edgun has a cheekrest yet…so your cheek weld will be atop the breech of your gun.

Good luck and welcome to TAG!

Ah oldgoat, those are the numbers I like to see for the capabilities of the Edgun! It’s getting harder and harder to stay away from this idea.

I’m not familiar with SCBA versus the SCUBA tanks but I’d probably go with the airhog tank and setup. Feel free to explain the difference between the two. And how does that shoebox compressor work? I saw one and really liked the idea, but I haven’t done too much research yet to find out the price of one or if people are happy with the results.

Damn you Fast and Danger! You’re killing me over here with that picture! 😡 But you’re right, “nuf said”

And to seal the deal.

Picture…. nuf said 😈

I had been away from air guns for about 25 years. I didn’t know that anything like a PCP airgun was available. I followed a link, from a Harley forum, that was talking about PCP airguns.

The next day, I went to the local fire house and asked the Chief if they would fill a currently hydroed SCBA tank for me. He said that they would, “it was good for public relations”. I went home and ordered a Condor, a scope, a used currently hydroed SCBA tank, fittings and a bunch of other stuff. I had a ball with the Condor! I did a lot of mods to it. I eventually ordered an Air Hog 4500 psi tank/regulator setup and a high flow valve for it. It took over 3 months for the parts to get here.

Before the parts came in, I got my first Edgun Matador. What an eye opener! After I got the Edgun, I don’t think that I shot the Condor more than 20 shots. I never even tried the new parts out on it. The Condor sat for over a year before I sold it.

I know of 3 Edgun owners that had an Air Force gun that they ended up selling. I had a shroud on my Condor and it was about 48” long. The standard Matador is under 30” and was quieter.

If you want a highly accurate .22 airgun, that doesn’t need any mods, is very quiet and gets about 60 shots per fill, you need to call Tony and get on the list. Ed just got barrels in and you might be able to get one in a month or two.

If you want a gun that can be made to shoot heavy slugs at high speeds, get the Condor. The Edgun has enough power to cleanly kill a head shot ground hog at 100 yards and a body shot crow at 150.

Yes, you can hand pump the Edgun, the air reservoir on it is about 2/3 the size of the Condor. If you shoot a lot you will get tired of pumping. Another option is to check any local welding supply places and ask if they will lease you a 4000 or 6000 psi nitrogen tank. If you can get one, you can fill your gun or, fill a SCBA tank from it and fill the gun from the SCBA. I just got a Shoebox compressor in; I don’t have to worry about air anymore!

I have a Matador now. Just sold my Talon SS and all AF accessories and upgrades.

I have Veles .177 and Lelya .22 on order and wait for them is killing me.

I am broke and might have to sell one of my kidneys.

Diagnose = EDgungivitis. Very very contagious.

I haven’t checked yet to see if anyone can fill the tank but I think the closest scuba shop is 50 miles away so that could be a problem…and no, I DON’T have the patience to wait, but I’m pretty sure all of the anticipation of waiting will be well worth it 😀

Money not an issue?

go with Edgun….

Have a place in town that can fill 4500psi tank?

go with 88cf 4500psi tank and filling station…

Have patience to wait?

go with Edgun

=)

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.