Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

Compressor Recommendations and alternatives

Home Forums Compressors, Tanks and Pumps Compressor Recommendations and alternatives

This topic contains 50 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  iride 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author

humdinger
    Participant

Over the past 10 years I have gradually improved my filling capability as I’ve gotten more PCP’s and learned more about high pressure fill options. I had a Freedom 8 and had no complaints about it but it seems the Chinese imports are taking away market share from them. I sold mine after a year of excellent service and recouped nearly all of my investment in it. I have been leery of the Raptor/Omega’s and their cheaper counterparts although owners have been giving them good short term performance grades.

Recently, AofA posted a rebuild video for their Omega that looked quite involved and intimidating for an owner to perform on his own. The technician looked like he was taking a car’s automatic transmission apart. There was a lot of dis-assembly required. I’m pretty good at self servicing equipment and this looked like a nightmare compared to replacing parts on a Shoebox which was relatively simple. When I was shopping for an upgrade from my Shoebox I compared the $1800 cost of an Omega to the cost of a fully serviced low hours used Bauer 5000 psi commercial duty compressor at $2500 and opted for the Bauer. Yes, it cost $700 more however I can fill my 71 cf tank from 3K to 4.5K in less than 10 minutes. Bauers are built to last, have superb resale value when purchased used, and have many service locations if needed. In my case it is highly unlikely in my relatively light duty requirements. I should be able to sell mine for what I paid when and if I ever decided to part with it.

Instead of a slow filling, Chinese compressor of questionable long term reliability and resale value I recommend potential buyers to consider two options. First, Jim Shelden of SheldenSportingGoods.Com has been building quality high pressure compressors for years. He now is offering a $1500 setup using a Davey compressor head which is military grade with a 3 hp motor for PCP tank filling. I would buy one of these over an Omega any day of the week. Second, check out the Miami area Craigslist or EBay for Carlos Kuster’s listings for rebuilt Bauer compressors. He is an expert on Bauers and buys lightly used Bauers that were used for filling firefighting equipment aboard ships. These look like new as they were in light duty applications. He installs new U.S. motors on them and replaces all worn parts. He replaces the oil and puts new breathing grade air filters on them. His prices are very reasonable for what he sells. I know of several air gunners who have bought from him and his reputation is excellent. He usually has listings on Ebay as Too_Deep or his listings on Craigslist are in Ft. Lauderdale.

Here are photos of my compressor. It is mounted on a cart for easy mobility. It is rated for continuous duty and could fill a 444cf steel storage tank nonstop, with only intermittent manual water vapor discharges.

secoda
    Participant

How are you related to this compressor seller? Seriously, this post is close enough to selling them that at a minimum you need 15 posts to sell and then it would really belong in the for sale section. Nice try though.

donnyfl
    Participant

I am very happy with my Omega. I use my PCP daily and definitely shoot a lot testing out my shrouds/ldc. When I need to fill the tank, I just hook it up and go on with my business for about an hr. Automatic shutoff is there so if I can’t check on it, I am sure it will be fine. The video didn’t look too complicated. For my personal needs, the Omega is great. But if I am filling other guys tanks as well and don’t want them to hang around my house for an hr, I’d definitely get something faster lol.

humdinger
    Participant
    quote SECoda:

How are you related to this compressor seller? Seriously, this post is close enough to selling them that at a minimum you need 15 posts to sell and then it would really belong in the for sale section. Nice try though.

So because I recommend options different from your Raptor/Omega, that constitutes selling? Do you get a commission from AofA for writing about your
    Raptor/Omega? I’m letting potential compressor buyers know about other options. If you had actually read my post completely, I recommend two different sellers of reasonably priced full duty compressors who are competitors of each other selling totally different types. Nice try, though.

iride
    Participant

Thanks for posting on other compressors, Its still a lot of money to spend on our expensive toys,
    Jim Shelden is on my list of people to call,,, From what I read so far the guy sounds like he knows his way around a compressor…
    His compressor looks very simple, and that’s a good thing,,,
    The more to chose from is always better, Makes it harder for me but if I choose well I come out ahead,
    A wise man once told me Choose well ,Grasshopper, Or something like that….or was it Cricket????
    Mike

secoda
    Participant

No problem with Jim Sheldon’s compressor’s. He has a good reputation.

I did a lot of research when I decided to replace my ShoeBox.
    I know of two folks with Bauer JR 2 compressors in my area. Yes – they do break (both of them multiple times) and yes they can be very expensive to fix out of warranty. Also, I know of a guy who bought one new (bigger) that had problems and it took him three years to get Bauer to finally fix it under warranty. The two guys I am personally friends with do not recommend used Bauer Jr 2’s for personal ownership because of long term costs unless cost is no object. Theirs are both the 220V versions. I shudder when someone claims they are inexpensive to own. Fast yes – but the cost to go along with them.

Your observation on the dis-assembly of the Omega is way off base. Again in doing research it is actually possible to do home maintenance on the Omega’s and quickly. Good luck doing your own repairs on a Bauer. You better have authorized service near by because you don’t want to pay for shipping it. Great compressors but expensive to own – especially when used. To fast for an individual user (too fast to directly load an airgun as an example). Too much speed can be a bad thing.

BTW – I didn’t buy an Omega from AOA.

Bauer problems

iride
    Participant

I guess I am just going to do all my research ,And when I am ready to buy just flip a coin, :winkn: :winkn:
    I have seen a few like new Baulr II junior compressors in Florida, But I am still in the same boat, Parts are far off for it , and I sure could not send it in to get fixed, I can not send one back to China to be fixed,, Jim Shelden is looking a little better…
    I got two months to decide,,,
    Hells bells half my fun is gone anyway, I killed all the sparrows, :rofl:
    Mike

secoda
    Participant

Careful baiting is the key to constant shooting. It is a bit slower this time of the year so extra feeders are necessary. I find a supply of water seems to help draw in the sparrows.

Either local support or home maintenance is critical on these compressors because of the weight and cost to ship. My paintball buddy uses his Bauer in a business so the repairs are a cost of doing business. He told me he was reaching his initial cost of $2400 on the used compressor in repair costs so figure about $5k in three years of ownership. His compressor does get quite a bit of use.

leadbetter

I was really thinking about getting a compressor this year, but dang they sound expensive just to maintain !

secoda
    Participant

It’s a graduated scale with the Shoebox at the bottom and the Bauer’s at the top. 😉

Someone told me they heard Bauer’s never break. Neither did My two Toyota’s, two Honda’s, or a Subaru. It’s funny how a Ford F-150 Super crew has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned (240k miles) and I run them all about ten years and mostly buy new and am anal about maintenance. 😡

donnyfl
    Participant

You love it Brant!

quote SECoda:

anal

secoda
    Participant

After building and flying a home-built airplane for 300 hours and having an engine have an oops one time (fuel line snagged the throttle locked wide open on one of two carbs) makes the maintenance and attention to detail seem a lot more important. 😯 (I made it back to the runway anyways dead-stick when i shut the engine down. 😛 )

I heard you like it too. :butkick: 😆

quote donnyfl:

You love it Brant!

quote SECoda:

anal

humdinger
    Participant

Anyone who is scared off from buying a lightly used or refurbished Bauer or a Shelden based Davey compressor because of this thread is making a big mistake. Even comparing an Omega to a Bauer is apples and oranges. The only reason there have been fewer posts about Omega failures is because there are so few in service. The first Raptor (later rebadged Omega by AofA) posted on this forum by Dr. Steele had a failure of it’s cooling system.

Bauer compressors are the gold standard in the high pressure compressor market throughout the world. This company has been manufacturing compressors for over 60 years. Bauers are relied upon by Fire Departments, Public Utility companies, and the commercial Scuba Diving industry. These are critical use applications that can’t afford even an average failure rate. Any scare tactic using a single Youtube video of a Bauer that had 4,200 hours on it that needs a repair is ludicrous. You could fill an 88cf tank from empty over 10,000 times before a Bauer would have 4,200 hours run time. Davey compressors sold as surplus by the military have the same reliable basic design since WWII.

Any mechanical device, albeit a PCP airgun, compressor, automobile, etc. will have some repair rate from parts failures. Three years from now, I have 100% assurance that my Bauer compressor will have local service available in the extemely unlikely probability of a failure. If Omegas start to exhibit reliability issues, AofA will stop selling them just like they dropped the FX electric compressors a few years ago when FX’s proved to be a shipping and service problem for owners. What happens when the Omega is out of warranty and a component breaks? You have to ship it to Phoenix and pay freight both ways and hope that AofA will handle the repair at whatever cost they bill you. Or you can send it back to China, or more likely throw it away. I’ll take my chances with the service history of a Bauer over a Chinese motorized hand pump any day of the week. In a hobbyist application, a Bauer is hardly stressed at all. The chances of it needing costly repairs are extremely unlikely with the way it is built. The basic design of my Bauer has proven itself in service for decades with almost no changes.

If an Omega is the best choice for you, by all means buy one. I started this thread to let prospective buyers know that there are other competitive options for air gunners in a similar price range that are better values IMHO, especially when considering the resale value of each option down the road. Quality holds its value and has a lower failure rate. Cheaply made unproven designs fail much more often, depreciate quickly, and are lesser value to the buyer in the long run.

leadbetter
    quote SECoda:

It’s a graduated scale with the Shoebox at the bottom and the Bauer’s at the top. 😉

Someone told me they heard Bauer’s never break. Neither did My two Toyota’s, two Honda’s, or a Subaru. It’s funny how a Ford F-150 Super crew has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned (240k miles) and I run them all about ten years and mostly buy new and am anal about maintenance. 😡

I put a 248 K on a 99 f-150….. Best truck I ever owned ! Do like my honda too haven’t had any problems yet.

I was recommended by a elderly member of this forum to purchase an electronic pos-t-vac, as it is covered by Medicare and most major insurance companies.

secoda
    Participant

:hoot: ? 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar