Compact & Super Effective Flashlight/Lamping Setup

Home Forums General Optics/Nightvision Compact & Super Effective Flashlight/Lamping Setup

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    y
    Participant

Surefire 6P –

High Quality incandescent flashlight for $55

Cree LED module – $20

Stock bulb on the left, CREE LED replacement on right. I wanted the durability, extra output, better runtime and more consistent brightness over the batteries life than incandescent bulbs offer. Just search for “Cree 6p” on eBay and you’ll get several different companies, I got mine from Hong Kong and it arrived very quickly.

Tacstar Surefire/T6 pressure switch – $20

For remote on and off, replaces the stock on off switch (on the left in picture)… very good switch, not fussy about where or how hard you press it.

So for $95 I got a super bright and durable flashlight that outputs around 150 lumen’s (They claim 200, but thats with 3 cells) which is way more than I need on an Airgun and the bulb will never need replacing and battery life is awesome, brightness doesnt dim like regular bulbs, stays constant and then a sharp decline after about 2-3 hours.

I have a Maglite 2xAA with a 3 Watt LED and I used to own an Optronics lamping kit. This way outperforms the large, bulky and cheap plastic optronics lamps and its much much brighter than the mag lite and uses CR123 batteries that are cheap online (DON’T buy from the supermarket…), stay good up to ten years and work in very cold temperatures. You can find red filter’s for them from surefire or after market companies if you want.

The body of the surefire is 1″ so it can be mounted in a regular 1″ scope mount without any modifications. Just get some Velcro (hook and loop) and attach it to the gun and switch to mount where you want it.

You can substitute a 6p clone or a Surefire G2 Nitrolen to save some money over the 6P I used.

rabbits
    Participant

very nice mate mate and for $95 thats not bad 😀

eamo
    Participant

Thanks yellow ninja,

Just purchased all items on ebay,

Got a clone of the torch for $11.99inc batteries
    Pressure swith $4.99
    Bulb for $7.33

Cannt wait to try it out. I hope the clone is as good as the original, its called superfire not surefire.

y
    Participant

I get my flashlights free or else I’d go with the clones too. I paid a bit more for the pressure switch than I could have because I wanted that particular one, I’ve had several switches on various stuff, lights, lasers, IR etc and hated them all, except the Tacstar, so had to get that one…

Worst pressure switch ever was one I got for a AA maglite/Streamlight JR. The part that screws into the flashlight is plastic, looks to be delrin or something and you have to press it exactly in the middle and using an uncomfortable amount of pressure… junk..

Seems like you got deals on it all!! be very interested in the results, especially the switch.

doug-in-ct
    Participant

Im a big fan of SureFire lights, they are great just couldnt seem to make the purchase of their LED retrofit. Looks like you found a nice alternative.
    150 lumens is nice and bright.
    Have you confirmed the battery life yet…Id be interested to hear about what you find. I may go eBaying! Thanks for the tip

Doug

shadoh
    Participant

I think I will order some of that YN. Thanks for the write up.

For a pressure switch I was almost thinking of putting a micro jack or two in the front end of my foregrip and then installing some push switches right into the grip. All you would do is mount the light and plug it into the front of the foregrip. If you had tons of lights, lasers and whatever it would sure make it easier in taking them on and off. Plus, Ive always hated the velcro switch look on most of the guns Ive seen. Hey, as long as it looks good right ).

y
    Participant

I’m off tomorrow night so I was going to take some pictures comparing the beams of several of the flashlights I have, will also check the run time of the cree module with fresh batteries, but I’ve been using it pretty heavily over the past few months and its still going on first stet of batteries so its looking promising. I dont expect it to last that much longer, main thing is that it stays nearly as bright for the entire duraction, as opposed to incandescants that dim quickly.

Shadoh, I thought about that, but I’d still end up with a wire running somewhere on the gun and if I want to put it on a different gun it means more work and some of the guns I have dont have space for a stock mounted switch.

y
    Participant

Just got an email from surfire…

They sell the 6P with an LED module in it now.

80 Lumens, 11 Hour runtime – $85 MSRP

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/24459/sesent/00

Thats a good runtime and plenty bright. Just hope they really mean 80 lumens (or close enough to) for a full 11 hours, and not dimming to 50% after a few hours.

shadoh
    Participant

That Cree LED module. That is actually a complete light minus the switch and case right? I could take one of those and build my own light? Or are there resistors or anything in the tube?

y
    Participant

Yeah, the Flashlight tube just acts as a conductor and something to hold the batteries to everything else… with a switch at the opposite end to the light.

The CREE module contains everything – LED, regulator circuit etc.

shadoh
    Participant

How hot does it get? Does the tube act as a heat sink as well?

y
    Participant

Doesnt get anywhere near as hot as the stock bulb, but yeah, it does give of some heat and its dissapated by the flashlight body.

shadoh
    Participant

Eamo, are those prices including shipping? Often Im seeing prices in those ranges on Ebay but the shipping is even higher than the part. Most bulbs Im seeing are at least 20 bucks with shipping, or more.

shadoh
    Participant

Another question. I see bulbs with multiple power levels. I assume that to cycle through those levels you have to hit the switch multiple time? Multiple output levels sounds great so you can pick how much light you need and increase battery time but on a gun you dont want to be cycling you want it off or on right?

y
    Participant

I have a few hand held lights with multiple brightness settings and strobes etc… and all the ones I have require mutliple presses on the tail mounted switch to cycle through the different features (some like the Surifre U2 have a dial near the end you just twist for different brightness’s, and the gladius has a megnetic switch). For gun mounted lights I just want them to be on or off… no variance…

Some of the lights your looking at with their different power levels are fixed output (in most cases)…. but they give those different power output depening on how many cells you run them off.. I have a small pocket light that came with 3 different battery holders, 1 AA, 2 AA, 1 CR123 and 2CR123… with 1 AA its 50 lumen, with 2 CR123 its 150 lumens and I dont get a choice, it just puts out more brightness depending on the voltage supplied to it. There is an exception in that you can buy tailcaps that contain electronics (either resistors or small circuits that strobe the light very fast to make it appear dimmer) and those will give you different features.

The CREE module I have now for instance gives out 100 lumens with 2 CR123’s and 150 with 3 cells…. (according to the ads). So when I put it in my surefire 6p I get the 100 lumen output no matter what I do… I turn the tail cap and I get 100 lumens…. BUT… I could buy a custom tailcap that has special features built into it to give me different power outputs etc….

I tried to take pictures of things illuminated at 45 yards with a few different flashlights, but I couldnt get the right setting to get exposures the same as what I was seeing..

I can say that the magite 3watt LED 2AA flashlights are pretty good for the price and the fact they just run on 2AA’s though…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.