Skip to toolbar

CO2 ADAPTER QUESTIONS

Home Forums AirForce Talon/Talon SS CO2 ADAPTER QUESTIONS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    mikemilz
    Participant

Hey guys just got home after a long days work (I’m rehabbing a property) but I did get a chance to go to a gun store that I found last week they have the AIRFORCE guns and some other air guns I go to check there ammo section and they have the Crow Magnums so I grab a tin $14.99 ouch so I get to talking to the guys at the counter and they don’t know anything about the guns, how to fill them or anything else, so I sit there and give these guys a run thru on the gun. I got to tell you when I say they knew nothing…. they new nothing, you gotta understand I have been asking this guy since last week about accessories for the Talon SS after about an half an hour he pulls out a box with 10 CO2 adapters in box and all and he ask’s me ” What the hell are these then? ” man I cracked up something terrible…. so I explained it to him and told them about TALONAIRGUN.COM & TALONTUNES.COM, they were amazed about the info I had about the Airforce line. I asked him what the adapter was going for and he tells me 99.99 so I grabbed one.

This is my question
    1. I want to know what tempetures I should be shooting at for best results?

2. Is CO2 going to give me enough power to kill rats?

3. any mods I can do, I saw a thread where a guy had a Condor with a CO2 adapter and a 4500psi tank hooked up to it I believe it was a 44cu regulated tank, and what are the benefits of a set up like this?

THANKS IN ADVANCE…. 😀

saugus18
    Participant

Co2’s power is related to temperature. The warmer the stuff is, the better. As I’ve mentioned before, I used to use a hair dryer on the hottest setting every few shots to keep the Co2 bottle from getting to cold when firing one shot after another, when target shooting in back yard. You’ll find it works best on the hottest summer days.

You should have plenty of power to kill rats on Co2, birds ect, but I’d run HPA for bigger stuff. Your shooting distance will suffer compared to air though

Not sure about your other questions, I’m sure someone else here could help with that.

walkonking
    Participant

CO2 is a good way to go for small pest control. But for the bigger stuff and tougher birds HPA is the way to go.

mikemilz
    Participant
    quote WalkonKing:

CO2 is a good way to go for small pest control. But for the bigger stuff and tougher birds HPA is the way to go.

Thats good to know, because when I go rat hunting wit the stock tank I usually stop at about 35 – 40 shots but from what they say on the airforce site you can get up to 100’s of shots and pyramid said ” Over 1,000 shots per CO2 tank “. So this means I can get longer hunting sessions in. 😆 YES!

mikemilz
    Participant
    quote WalkonKing:

Thats good to know, because when I go rat hunting wit the stock tank I usually stop at about 35 – 40 shots but from what they say on the airforce site you can get up to 100’s of shots and pyramid said ” Over 1,000 shots per CO2 tank “. So this means I can get longer hunting sessions in. 😆 YES!

mikemilz
    Participant
    quote WalkonKing:

ribbonstone
    Participant

Will get just about what AiForce claims you’ll get…which depends on barrel length. In .22, that would be from a low of about 11-11.5 foot pounds in a 12″ barrel to a high of about 17 foot pounds from a 24″ barrel.

That’s more than enough power for rats, squirrels, pest birds out to 50 yards. Considering you need to be able to group inside 1″ from hunting type rests, most of us will be limited by that ability before running out of power.

The adaptor will release more co2 than you really can use…somewhere about #4 or #5 for 18″ or under, and about #8 or #9 for the 24″ will get near the max. speed and best consistancy….can dial it up and make it LOUDER, but the chronograph readings aren’t any better.

Yep…20 oz. tanks gives a bit more than 1000 shots (that’s 4 tins of .22 pellets/ 250 pellets per tin).

mikemilz
    Participant
    quote ribbonstone:

Will get just about what AiForce claims you’ll get…which depends on barrel length. In .22, that would be from a low of about 11-11.5 foot pounds in a 12″ barrel to a high of about 17 foot pounds from a 24″ barrel.

Yep…20 oz. tanks gives a bit more than 1000 shots (that’s 4 tins of .22 pellets/ 250 pellets per tin).

I saw a 24 oz can for $29.99, I’m going to grab that tomorrow….. DAMN 1000 shots I’M GON’ KICK SOME RAT ASS!

buster
    Participant

i used co2 to kill rats at night up to 15 yards and it blew them away i used rws super h point very good pellet an deadly

ribbonstone
    Participant

Fair warning….the biggher co2 bottles are a lot fatter than an AirForce airtank, so your face ends up higher…which might make looking though the scope a real problem.

Airtank is about as fat as a 12oz. CO2 tank….you might find that 24oz. will make you go to even higher scope mounts.

I generally use a 9oz. tank…which lasts 400shots or so…bascially, know that I’m running low when a 500count pellet tin gets down low.

mikemilz
    Participant
    quote ribbonstone:

Fair warning….the biggher co2 bottles are a lot fatter than an AirForce airtank, so your face ends up higher…which might make looking though the scope a real problem.

Airtank is about as fat as a 12oz. CO2 tank….you might find that 24oz. will make you go to even higher scope mounts.

I generally use a 9oz. tank…which lasts 400shots or so…bascially, know that I’m running low when a 500count pellet tin gets down low.

Thanks for the heads up I will just get a 12 and 9oz tank that should be good enough.

Also I saw a guy here that had a 44cu 4500psi regulated tank hooked up to condor or talon what would be the benefit of this kind of set up?

ribbonstone
    Participant

From what I can tell, using a HPA regulated tank and a co2 adapter works well for larger shot counts/medium power levels. Consistancy is what is strived for, but to tell you the truth, careful tuning of a ZTalon valve will get you to the same place (and the mirco-meter tank is impressively consistant…just low speed).

Here’s my 5mm TalonSS with a 9oz….which has worked out well for me in terms of size/sighting. Use an on/off to get a little extra length as my arms are a bit long, normal length arms won’t need it…..plastic paintball but plate…and a tank cover (get an idea of size by that RWS 850 sitting next to it).
    http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t50/ribbonstone/IMG_2359.jpg

—-
    What I have noticed (and have posted before) is that the talon SS tends to cool down fast, and keeping a stable temp. is importANt for consistant co2 shooting. Paced so the tamp. stays stable, have shot many 20 shot strings with 1% varaiation (that’s 6 fps spread for 600fps).

Waht happens with a talon SS is that the cold CO2 gas doesn’t just exit at the muzzle…it swirls around inside (which is what makes the SS quiet) and that seems to make the barrel cool down much faster.

mikemilz
    Participant

Thanks ribbonstone I went out and got the 9oz and 12oz tank your info was helpfull, the guy at the paintball store didn’t understand how the stock tank only got 40-50 shots and a 12oz tank would give you 400+, I told him that I’m still trying to figure it out myself. 😀 😀

mikemilz
    Participant

Oh yeah I went out to try out my new CO2 tanks I got the 9oz and 12oz and man once I re-zeroed she was kicking ass. The first thing that I noticed was that she was REAL QUIET no louder than a mild cough. So I had to go and test it on a couple of rats I was pressed for time but I did get 9 kills and thats a big plus for me because I won’t be taking that tank of for like 391 more shots Damn that feels good.

Thanks guys for all the advice. 😀 😀 😀 😀

ribbonstone
    Participant

Each rifle is a little different, but you’ll probably find (if you have a chronograph) that the “best” power setting will be something like 3 or 4. Dialing my 5mm up past that just makes more noise, not significantly more velocity (it does seem to make the vel. variation go to hell as well, and does accruacy no good).

Don’t really need a chronogrpah…would just dial it to the best shooting accuracy and leave it at that.

Specific use shooting….for you it’s rats…that’s waht the co2 versions are best for. Small game in the squirrel/rat area at ranges of about 40 yards or less. Power-wide, the co2 version isn’t much off a fully pum ped Benajmin or Sheridan…a comparison that is a help to us old guys who grew uyp shooting game with those rifles, but might not mean as much to a younger shooter.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.