Skip to toolbar

choked barrels

Home Forums AirForce General Chat choked barrels

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    allen-avram
    Participant

I asked Jerry about making some heavy .25 slugs. Can you get barrels that are not choked for the .25 caliber…and here is Jerrys reply…Hi Allen,

Right now we don’t have anything that is likely to work well in your barrel. The problem is that pellets for .25 guns are made for choked barrels and barrels are made with a big choke to shoot Diablo style pellets… We are working on a heavy design that will handle the .004” choke that LW barrels use but we’re not there yet and don’t have a product for you. The slugs in use for Barnes .25 barrels are designs that work well but are not made for barrels with a choke that big. It will be a challenge to make a heavy pellet that’s not too long and still works in a choked barrel but we’ll get there at some point!

Best,
    Jerry

Jerry is a great guy, Allen.

jfk
    Participant

Allen, If you’re looking to to shoot those .25 cal slugs, you could have an inch or two cut off the end of the barrel (to eliminate the choke) and have it re-crowned. Make it your dedicated slug barrel.
    JFK

allen-avram
    Participant

Thanks JFK for your reply…I’am a little uncomfortable cutting and recrowning the barrel though….Allen.

jfk
    Participant

OK, you could also order a seperate barrel (cut and re-crowned) and call that your slug barrel. I’ve cut and re-crowned several of my gun (air and rimfire) barrels on my lathe with remarkable results. From what I’ve read on these airgun forums, the choke is only about an inch and a half long, even if you took a half inch off your barrel, you’d remove almost half the choke. I’m interested in how you make out with those slugs, I hope you’ll keep us posted on your progress.
    Good luck,
    JFK

voltar-1
    Participant

i have no troble shooting solid bullets out of my Lothar Walthar choked barrel.
    I hand swage 53 grainers and even though they loaded hard and hurt my thumb they shot beautifully. They are now reduced on the forward section to be bore riding and have a barrel sealing band at the rear.
    They still shoot fine.

I highly doubt the barrels have a 4 thou choke. I think Jerry missed a zero there.
    If your gun has the jam then solids are no trouble. Mine will make 120fpe with those 53 grainers.

Walter….

allen-avram
    Participant

Hello Walter: Is it ok to copy your post and send it to Jerry about your findings? Thanks, Allen.

voltar-1
    Participant

Certainly you can Allen.
    Do you want pics of those bullets?

synopsys
    Participant

Walter, I was having the same pain in the thumb from pushing the pellets into the barrel, a pellet seating tool is a great thing, I finally got one and it rocks!!! 😉

voltar-1
    Participant
    quote synopsys:

Walter, I was having the same pain in the thumb from pushing the pellets into the barrel, a pellet seating tool is a great thing, I finally got one and it rocks!!! 😉

That is a good idea. what does it look like?
    You know a version of a BlackPowder capping tool would be a cool way to store and load pellets eh? 🙂
    Take care
    Walter…

synopsys
    Participant

It’s a little down this page….

http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/show.pl?group_id=1&cmd_accessories=1

It looks larger that it really is in the photos, it’s really about 2.5″ long (65mm) and it is made out of AL, I imagine you could make one pretty quick, all you really need is the ball end for seating, the other end is a skirt tool and none of my pellets have a deep enough skirt to use it on…

I think I know whet your talking about, which would be a nice way to have and seat pellets in the bush!!

allen-avram
    Participant

Hello Walter: I will pass your post on to Jerome and I would like to see pictures of your slugs….Thanks, Allen.

skybones
    Participant

I bought my choked .25 barrel straight from LW in Ga. It was not marked ,as to ,which end was breech. I pushed a pellet through both ends ,and found the choke,but it was so minute i’m not sure it qualifies as choked. The barrel shoots great ,so I’m assuming little choke is needed here

butcher45
    Participant

The LW Match barrel I had choked a pellet down to .250 on the nose according to TimW.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.