Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

CAUTION My Mrodair Compressor Experience

Home Forums General Compressors, tanks and pumps CAUTION My Mrodair Compressor Experience

This topic contains 64 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  guykuo 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 61 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Author

rcontrera
    quote Dan H:

…maybe we should do a group buy ?

All a group buy is going to do is get MORE people familiar with the system’s shortcomings. Something that has given a LOT of people problems is still not a good deal at a lower price.

tbear

I looked up the unit and it’s $699 + $400 shipping…
    I have to give it to Mrodair for trying to introduce us to the affordable compressor, even though there are short comings. I don’t know where he’s been, but I think he’s probably pissed off that people are saying bad things about him. Grow a pair man, come back and defend yourself and your product. There’s at least 50 of us here who will need your support (replacement parts and such) in the future.

I am one of the 50 owners of the airmax. I don’t really have any problem with it yet, but I’m doing some preventive services (changing out to high quality compressor oils, changing o-rings) to help alleviate future problems. Do I regret buying an Airmax? NO! It’s a fantastic deal, especially when you’re not rich and can’t afford $4000 compressor and the cost to maintain one. Don’t think that because you bought these expensive $4000 compressors that you will not have problems. After the 1 year warranty runs out and something goes wrong, it will cost you. I just read about this poor guy who was quoted $1500 to fix his Bauer compressor.

mmassa

I”ve been sitting back and following every ones Mrodair airmax adventures. I feel so fortunate to have sent mine back prior to 30 days even with the 15% restocking fee. I wouldn’t give Mrodair any credit for trying to provide a cheap HPA compressor. I think of Mike more like a snake oil salesman, who is in it for the cash only “Brother” IMHO he did the bare minimum to bring these units to market. He is always bragging about the “testing.” If all that alleged testing took place, then how could there be such a high rate of problems? Obviously he doesn’t care about the customer. A business owner that conducts business in the manner Mike has proven to us, can’t defend himself or his product. When he has your cash. he gets to dictate how, when, or if you get it back if you have a problem. I’m willing to bet that very few people sent their compressors back within the time frame for a refund. They were probably strung along until the 30 days were up and then told about their “industry standard” return policy. My wish is that everyone who is thinking about buying from Mrodair gets informed of how they will be treated if they have a problem with one of their products.

tbear
    quote Mmassa:

He is always bragging about the “testing.” If all that alleged testing took place, then how could there be such a high rate of problems?

I think that mrodair testing actually contributed to the problems. I’ve been telling people that these compressors are not meant for long runs. It’s best for top offs, 20 min max. So if mrodair actually filled two 88cf tank from empty to 4500psi during their test, the heat that generated did considerable damage. Also using cheap oil doesn’t help.

Mrodair should change their test to just topping off 3000-4500psi, twice. They have to use good compressor oil and drain said oil before shipping.

guykuo

I doubt they were 88 cf tanks. That would be about 180 minutes of run time with frequent bleeding that entire time for every compressor. Do you think they have the the manpower & time to do that kind of a run on the units.

No, probably a little guppy tank at best.

If you already have one, do the mods, add a good filter and keep your runs short. Understand the degree of risk you are accepting with continued use of a machine with bare minimum construction handling 4500 PSI air. When I was systematically working through my unit, my recurrent thought was, “Wow, you couldn’t build this any more cheaply and have it still work.” The 0.1 inch thick crankcase was a particular surprise. This thin little thing is taking on the stress of the cylinders? I don’t think they could have made it any thinner. No cooling between or after compression stages. No safety valves. Wiring with exposed connectors. Switches and wiring too low amperage capacity. Foster connector out of spec. The machine is a case study in lowering cost by cutting corners. Some of those corners are important safety issues when you’re at 4,500 PSI and need to avoid getting moisture and hydrocarbons out of HPA tanks and guns. To save the cost of a good PCP, you’re going to risk your tank, guns & your health with this machine?

Then you add the expertise demonstrated by the water separator specially designed to have a media compartment as its first component. This is bass ackwards. Media should be after the majority of water has been removed by the separator, not first in line so it can be immediately swamped and rendered useless. A real compressor expert would not have designed it this way.

For heaven’s sake, don’t try to use the machine with just the miniature media holder that it comes with. Get a full size filter with adequate drying media, activated carbon, and pressure maintaining valve POST all the filtering. That PMV, by keeping the entire filter and water separator pressurized to at least 1600 or higher PSI will help the existing water separator and the filter be more efficient. A good add on filter with PMV is what you need to protect your tank and guns from the air this compressor produces. The Mrodair supplied unit isn’t enough. Unfortunately, once you do all the mods and add a proper filter, you are well above the $1K point and putting more money after bad.

Can you safely fill your tanks without an adding another air dryer? Probably no. Air out of the water separator is at 100% humidity and elevated temperature. Unless, a desiccant filter removes that moisture, that air is going into your tank and cooling down. Once it cools, the humidity goes over 100% and you’re set up for condensation.

Just because you got your tank or gun up to pressure and the compressor didn’t die is NOT success. That air has to be dry enough that you don’t cause corrosion. The amount of water that is already damaging is tiny when the air gets back down to ambient pressure. You might not see even if you open your tank or gun and look inside. You also need to keep the blown by oil out of your lines, tank and guns. All oil lubricated compressor have some oil blow by. On a good compressor, the amount is tiny. What’s more, on a properly engineered compressor, the air is dried sufficiently before it reaches the activated carbon. Wet activated carbon won’t effectively remove oil. The Airmax is lacking in both water removal and hydrocarbon control. That’s why you should add a decent filter and keep its cartridge replaced regularly.

If you don’t already have one, save up a bit longer and buy a much better built unit that has all the safety and filtering features already integrated. You’ll gain at the very least….

1. Far better inter cooling to reduce output air temperature and hence improve water separation
    2. More stages of compression – reducing stress on each compression stage
    3. Pressure safety releases – prevent catastrophic failures if valves or lines get clogged.
    4. Multiple stages of water, oil, air separation
    5. Longer intervals between required water bleeds
    6. More robust construction, precision machining, and tighter tolerances.
    7. Less risk of electrical shock and overload
    8. Faster, quieter, and more convenient operation.
    9. Integrated drying and hydrocarbon absorption in the proper sequence (after water separation)
    10. Pressure maintaining valve to improve water separation and filtering
    11. Historically proven performance, longevity, and service life
    12. Better metals in component construction.
    13. Predictably clean, dry air for your equipment
    14. A dealer that is EXPERT in high pressure air compressor usage, limits, maintenance, and best practices.

Viewing 5 posts - 61 through 65 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar