Skip to toolbar
Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

Carette 4500 vs. Air Venturi compressor

Home Forums General Compressors, tanks and pumps Carette 4500 vs. Air Venturi compressor

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    humdinger
    Participant

I own a Bauer compressor yet affordable high pressure compressors intrigue me. I’ve owned two Shoeboxes prior to buying the Bauer that I use. I have closely followed PCP dedicated compressors looking for a good value. Over a decade ago I bought a used FX compressor that was a hand pump driven by a motor and could only fill PCPs directly up to 3000 psi. I’ve studied the Shoebox, Alpha and Omega compressors from AofA, the Airmax from Mrodair, the Altaros booster, the Carette 4500, and now the Air Venturi.

There is no need for me to say anything more about the Airmax other than it doesn’t surprise me. I’m not a fan of the Alpha or Omega compresors after watching the the rebuild video on Youtube where it takes a laborious disassembly to reach rubber O-rings deep inside them. Any 4500 psi compressor based upon on rubber O-rings for seals is no more than a refined mechanized foot pump just like the old FX compressor was.

The purpose of this post is to differentiate the soon to be released Air Venturi compressor vs. the soon to be released Carette 4500. There is no doubt that the Air Venturi model has upgrades and more reliable product support than the Airmax compressor, but it is still a refinement of the same basic power plant. It may be built by a different manufacturer in China and have other improvements but the fast fill speed can only be achieved by internal components being pushed to their limit. The Pyramyd Air in house review states that the water temperature reaches 150 degrees at peak load. That’s due to friction heat from this compressor being pushed to it’s limits. Someone said in another post that you can’t make a Ferrari out of a Fiat and until proven otherwise, let some other people be beta testers on these. Don’t jump on it just because it’s sold by Air Venturi. Look how many disappointed owners of the similar design Airmax compressor there are. This is another Airmax compressor variant with updates. Air Venturi will drop it like a hot potato if it becomes a service nightmare for its owners. Here is a link to another Air Venturi compressor design from a few years ago that is still online. These are out of warranty and obsolete. How would you like to own one and have it fail? FX dealers don’t work on the old FX compressors and I doubt you could get one of the the older design Air Venturi’s repaired any longer. Check out this link.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Air_Venturi_Liquid_Cooled_Air_Compressor_Club_Model_Heavy_Duty_Cooling_System_Red/2500

On the other hand, Guykuo has vetted the Carette 4500 and it has proven to be durable, intelligently designed and not over-revved to get a faster fill speed. It’s plug and play, runs cool with a closed circulation cooling system, is belt driven instead of direct drive, has an automatic moisture drain, a PMV, and does not rely on piston rings or rubber O-rings which wear out. It is the first under $2,000 compressor that looks like it meets the criteria of affordable price, durability, and 110 volt plug in convenience that an owner would want in a compressor. If I wasn’t a Bauer owner, I’d choose it in a heartbeat over the Air Venturi.

You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. JHMO

mjp
    Participant

It does resemble the nimrod compressor quite a bit. Let’s hope that they have upgrade internals running in that one, and they honor any warranty given!
    Nothing worse than 1200$ paperweight.
    Time shows the one of these that will be good and the bad, they are all mostly ugly.

Marko

miksatx
    Participant

From what I see the AirV it has a improved water oil separation. a way longer high pressure line coming off the high side head and maybe better cooling then the nimrod. nimrod/ carette owner here. The nimrod you need hearing protection not so with the carette. Carette works great on my household plugs. Wonder if the AirV can do the same? Nimrod had to have a special outlet. If you can’t afford the updated Carette don’t let that stop ya from buying their base unit hanging around and draining it off manually doesn’t require hearing protection lol.

peter-gives
    Participant

With regards to the Carette Compressor…Why does everybody seem to think that having no rings, or ringless pistons, is such a great design???
    Maybe it’s not, but maybe it doesn’t really matter.
    It seems that having rings on your pistons would be superior…especially in cases where the rings and the block material are different, such as, aluminum and steel….but i don’t think anybody has truely discussed this.
    Well, if anyone has any experience with automotive engines without rings, and the consequences, please chime in…at the same time, if it doesn’t really matter then chime in.
    I’m just wondering if the piston is going to eventually bore into the block? Or if the pistons wear down, then what size are the replacement pistons?
    And if so…would it be possible to upgrade your piston with one that does have rings, as long as you knew the piston dimensions, it seems like you could order an upgraded piston somewhere possibly…or would it have to be fabricated?…maybe a machinist could cut some ring grooves into the current piston?
    I would like to hear from you all. Thank you.

miksatx
    Participant

Pretty sure the lower pistons on both units that sit in the cast iron bore have rings. The high side top piston on the carette doesn’t have rings. I do know that the Airmax has rings on the high side top piston that can be replaced cause I own both units.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.