Skip to toolbar
Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

Carette 4500 PSI Compressor Report

Home Forums General Compressors, tanks and pumps Carette 4500 PSI Compressor Report

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 176 total)
  • Author
    guykuo
    Participant

Yes. They really need to get this into some other people’s hands.

RIght now, all I can find is well…. me.

In another week I hope we hear from the demo unit’s new owner, but that is up to him.

djbriez
    Participant

I am just waiting on the final price…..believe me….I can put it through it’s rigors…especially after owning another certain compressor, with about a million tear downs!
    I now know more about compressor architecture than I ever wanted to!

DJ

guykuo
    Participant

DJBriez, if you do get a Carrette, the one thing about tear downs is that you really should NOT open the high side cylinder willy nilly. The high pressure cylinder head’s four bolts go through stainless steel washers that MUST be replaced. They are only SINGLE use. If you try to reuse them, you will see coolant seep up around those bolt heads. I tried when I did the tear down. New washers deform to create the correct seal.

Fortunately, there really isn’t much reason for an owner to take that cylinder apart until late in the compressor’s life span. There aren’t any rings to service. I had to open the high pressure cylinder to evaluate the condition of the cylinder after its 24 hour torture test. A normal user should just leave that alone.

Also, SOP should be to run the compressor with the bleed valve open for 3-4 minutes after each use.
    That will ensure any residual moisture in the cylinders is blown out. I am now doing this with my Bauer Jr as well.

If this Carrette had existed just over a year ago, we would both know a LOT less about compressors and I would not own a Bauer. I guess we can thank Mrodair. 🙄

djbriez
    Participant

Haha….yep….this forum needs big ass happy face “LIKE” button!…. :biggrinn:

ramjet62
    Participant
    quote guykuo:

I can confirm. Bosun is indeed Sincere’s translator.

Translating for him a bit…”Group buy” isn’t what we usually mean on the forums. It’s not 100 buyers to purchase 100 units all at once. It just means the price is limited to 100 who can buy at that price.

Bosun just gave me word they will be listing a special offer for fully configured (PMV & auto drain) will be listed for about $1500 including shipping.
    This will be limited to first 100 orders.

Hi Guykuo, I just want to confirm that this is the latest updated & optioned compressor deal that Bosunhu has made a separate post on this forum ,? at least in you opinion . I am really interested, thanks , roger http://talonairgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=36294

djbriez
    Participant

I’m not Guy, but yes….it’s valid
    I have been communicating with Bosun via email

DJ

ramjet62
    Participant

DJ , thanks ,its good to know, question, maybe already stated , but I’m not sure, can antifreeze be used in this compressor ? I am in Illinois & don’t keep the shop heated constantly. I assume from your post’s you are getting one ? roger

djbriez
    Participant

Roger,

I think one of the youtube video’s of the Carette did in fact show them injecting with antifreeze.
    Also yes, I plan on purchasing one…..that looks like at least 2 of them are headed to Illinois!….I’m in Plainfield (western suburbs)…

DJ

ramjet62
    Participant

Dj thanks , I am in Ottawa, about 40-60 minutes away from you, PS are you going to fill scba tanks or straight to your a/gun . roger

guykuo
    Participant

Yes, the offer in the other thread is a valid one from Sincere via his associate, Bosun.

I’m glad they went with a special price offer instead of their original “group buy” idea. Introductory pricing came out nicely too, in my opinion.

Yes, you can use anti-freeze. In fact they specify using antifreeze. There wasn’t a statement as to what proportion antifreeze vs water. I used 1:4 mix of anti-freeze : distilled water for testing. Also, the residual coolant that was already in the test unit definitely was tinted by its antifreeze content.

djbriez
    Participant

Thanks for Chiming in Guy….
    Roger, I have 3 SCBA thanks 2 66 cu ft and 1 88 cu ft….( have scuba also, but no longer in use)…..Sounds like a lot of air, but consider this…I have 32 PCP rifles!….

DJ

ramjet62
    Participant

Guy, thanks for the confirmation, without trying to read thru this long thread, & I am almost asleep, how long does it take to fill a great white (just a reference) from empty to 4500 ? I am pretty sure I am going to pull the trigger on this deal in the morning, roger

ramjet62
    Participant

Dj , damm you got me beat, I thought I had a lot of A/guns,= quite a few.. not sure of the size tanks , I have one bigger one , 1 medium next is smaller, & a guppy, & 1 scuba tank

guykuo
    Participant

32 PCP’s !!! :8:

See here for more details http://www.talonairgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=35990#p371783

Great White top from 2750 to 4500 PSI in 72 minutes

Great White from completely empty to 4600 PSI in 3:06 hours.

It is not a fast unit running at the limits of its mechanics. We’ve seen what happens when one forces two, light cylinders to run fast – lots of heat, risk of dieseling, high mechanical stress and wear.

The Carette 4500 design team made some wise decisions. They built the compressor with higher grade parts and run them below max limits. This thing calmly spins at just 1,000 RPM for cooler operation and reduced wear. The cooling system has more than ample capacity. The compressor’s elegantly executed design for longevity instead of speed won me over.

With the auto bleed and shutoff, the filling time isn’t a big issue. Set the auto stop to 4500, autodrain Q 10 minutes, 0.5 second duration and let it go.I would still keep an eye on it for the last couple hundred PSI fill, but it pretty much takes care of itself.

I recommend putting a good drying AND hydrocarbon removing filter like an Alpha or Dmann’s post compressor (or any other compressor lacking a desiccant and activated carbon filter). There is always some oil blow by on an oiled compressor. it isn’t bad on this compressor, but a filter would really let you do it right.

guykuo
    Participant

Remember this tip for when it come time to fill the coolant…..

An extra piece of plastic tubing is needed to do the initial fill. There is a filling procedure video on youtube. Watch that, but it is a lot easier to fill and drive air out by using a spray bottle to pump the coolant rather than using gravity.

Tilt the compressor by lifting the front 2 inches. That lets the radiator clear all air.

Detach the coolant tubing running from the low pressure cylinder ate the high pressure cylinder. That is the highest point on the compressor.

Run a piece of plastic tubing from a a common Home Depot spray bottle to the high cylinder water inlet. You can attach your tubing to the spray bottle if you pull off the blue nozzle. Fill the bottle with your cooling solution.

Keep the spray bottle cap open and run the tubing from the low side into the bottle.

When you pump the spray bottle, you force air free coolant into the high side cooling jacket. Air/coolant will come out of the low side tubing and into your bottle. Keep pumping until air has been purged from the system.

Then reattach the tubing from low side to high side cooling jacket.
    ——-

You will need compressor oil for the compressor. About 300 ML is needed. I used Bauer synthetic compressor oil. It holds up to compressor use, has the correct viscosity, has a high flash point, and is not obnoxious smelling.

Here is one place that has it http://www.augustindustries.com/shopexd.asp?id=613

I’m sure Ray Contreras or Joe Brancato could also source the compressor oil.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 176 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.