Can anybody help with the AF pump?

Home Forums AirForce General Chat Can anybody help with the AF pump?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    riffraff
    Participant

My damn pump has quit working.

When I attach a bottle and start to fill it, as soon as pressure starts to build the pump will not pull in any air. On the upstroke, the pump is creating a vacuum and I cant pull it up more than a few inches.

If I take the bottle off, the pump appears to work just fine.

I have taken it apart as far as i dare, I just do not see what is plugging up.

Anybody?

I have looked till my eyes bleed for a drawing on pumps like this, I cant find one. Anything might help.

synopsys
    Participant

You may have done this, but the intake is under the handle on the top, has anything wedged itself in there…?

riffraff
    Participant

No, there is a little rubber ball that acts as a check-vavle held in the cap by the small shaft. The shaft is held in place with a small pin. This ball is in good shape, and rolls around in the pocket and doesnt get stuck in the hole.

Many o-rings in there covered in grease. Wiped them all down, cleaned up as much as I could find reassembled and still the same thing.

I havent removed the lower half of the pump yet. Being a 2 stage pump, Im sure there is something plugged down below. A lot of grease has run out of the pump since I bought it.

I just dont know if anything is going to fall out of place when I pull it apart. I seem to have bad luck with that sort of thing.

Aggravating the stupid thing pumps until pressure builds. A few weeks ago it started to act like this when I hit 2500 psi, now it starts at 500.

walkonking
    Participant

Send it back to AF and let them sort it out.

Or buy a Hill so you can rebuild it yourself when needed. 😀

synopsys
    Participant

Riff, your in way deeper than I can even imagine, obviously you checked that first, sorry I couldn’t be of any help…

With that said I think your a prime candidate for a carbon fiber tank system…! Also I think I may be in your boat here sometime soon (if your pump was new when you got it).

How many fills did you get…?

riffraff
    Participant

I got maybe 50-70 fills? At about 200 pumps per fill (going from roughly 1800 – 2800). Guessing about 10,000+ strokes.

I called AF about it, they asked me if I had it apart. I told them it unscrewed itself on the top half, and I had put it back together(which did actually happen when it was new). Bitch told me I voided the warranty so I said FU and hung up.

I bet a Hill is built very close to the same thing. Maybe I can find instructions somewhere on rebuilding one.

I posted in another thread somewhere that HPA tanks are a no-go unless I can talk the fire chief into filling a tank for me. Its doubtful as he is a shithead. Butted heads with this guy a few years ago over a fireworks fire that wasnt my fault, but it was on my property. I pushed his ass across the burrow ditch into the road and warned him to stay off my land. I almost got charged with assault but one of his cronies actually stood up for me, then the poor bastard got fired for it.

Like I said, probably not going to fill for me.

synopsys
    Participant

Yep, they know it is junk and try anything to get out of replacing them, actually if it came apart on it’s own it is defective and not out of warranty…

A question that typically get’s stuff done is, “Can I have the name and contact information of your attorney? I’d like to have my attorney send him a letter so we can resolve this…”

Like Target has a no return policy, well sure if you don’t have any balls, talk to a manager and you will get an instant refund!!! 😆

Bummer on the tank filling stuff…

silents
    Participant

Riff I took my air force pump apart. I unscrewed the bottom off the pump. At the end of the pump is a nut. Unscrew the nut and there is a spring and small brass cone with an o-ring. I replaced the o-ring because it was to big and the valve would get stuck. I put it back together and it worked for awhile Hope this helps.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Riff…….. off topic from your post….but man, you’ve got some damn funny stories. 😆 😆

Harry

buster
    Participant

the same happened to mine I just pumped it a couple of times without the tank and some times it started to worked but I realized that using it like it said in the af dvd is the only way I don’t get problems just make shure to get the full extent in both bottom a up pump and hold it for a second I noticed that when I didn’t puled it up all the way it like dobble pumped and became very hard to move try it out and see if it works and do the stroke in a single sweep.

riffraff
    Participant
    quote SilentS:

Riff I took my air force pump apart. I unscrewed the bottom off the pump. At the end of the pump is a nut. Unscrew the nut and there is a spring and small brass cone with an o-ring. I replaced the o-ring because it was to big and the valve would get stuck. I put it back together and it worked for awhile Hope this helps.

Thanks for that info SilentS.

I found the bottom half very hard to remove, I havent been able to turn if off there yet. Im sure its somewhere in the bottom half, everything on the top part is in good condition.

I found internal drawings of a Hill pump. It looks similar to the AF, but at least I can see how it works now. Getting it apart is another thing.

cuda
    Participant

Where did you find the pump drawing?

pilgrim
    Participant
    synopsys
    Participant

What king of crazy SOB drew those, downright confusing, but interesting none the less….

JW

riffraff
    Participant

Yep thats the same drawings I found.

I googled Hill Pump and found some site, dont remember the name, had to register to open the support pages.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.