Bullets, bigbore, medbore, smallbore anyone?

Home Forums AirForce General Chat Bullets, bigbore, medbore, smallbore anyone?

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    roland
    Participant

Dyotat100 has a point–no free lunch anywhere!
    Airforce is the affordable platform for power with the .257.

But then it’s not a Bullpup. Old goat has some good objectives in the post above and a lot of experience with lighter .257’s. All out power is not a factor.
    Results awaited!

Though very often 247420 hollowpoints have been discussed- nothing much has been said about the depth and shape of the hollow point.
    This could affect the desire to lose bullet weight considerably. More so if one does not intend to get rid of the boat tail base or part of it.

How would it perform if the depth of the hollow point traverses slightly more than half of the bullet length and with only a slight taper and rounding off at
    the apex in an attempt to lose considerable weight??? The 257420 meplat measures 3.5 mm so the egde could be 0.5mm using a 2.5mm hollowpoint insert.

Just my thoughts!

knifemaker
    Participant

Howdy Tedd! (Old Goat) The .257 bbl. you sent me is doing a damed fine job! I love it! Just as Cedric, (Tofazfou) suggested, it just gets better and better the more you shoot it. So far I have put close to 4ooo cast bullets down its bore. 😯 😆 In fact, about time to do a little casting.

I am haveing a bit of a problem trying to figure out how to pressure cast with the bottom pour pot as opposed to the ladle pour. I think I have found exactly WHY our bullets have been somewhat up and down in the weight. I am not getting the pressure needed with the bottom pour. But man does it put out the bullets!

Knife

dougroundup
    Participant

Hello guys,
    Man ya know ya guys have been doing this for awhile now, as I have followed some of these threads backwards and some go back quite a few years. I cant say enough how fortunate it is to have so many and so much experience available to chat and draw upon for advice. I cant help but be enthusiastic about following what you guys are doing and getting myself setup and able to do what you guys are doing.
    I had a moment to chat on the phone with Doug, his progress and work he has done is just incredible and his enthusiasm really gets me all the more motivated to get myself setup and to start shooting.
    I intially had hoped to get on the list to purchase a DAQ .308 and had been waiting all summer for a spot to open. I entered his lottery in october to no avail.
    Meanwhile, I figured that the Marauder .25 would make for a good starter and something to shoot until I found the best way to go for what I wanted to do… I purchased a .25 from a guy that doessome awesome custom gunstocks but have been waiting for the marauder to be finished and shipped since thanksgiving. I continued to lurk around everywhere and learned that the airforce was one of the more readily available platforms that could easily be made to output the power to shoot the solid lead like we want it to. So when I saw a deal too good to pass up on a Condor frame , I snatched it up, and here I have arrived at your doorstep. My Condor did include a .177 that had the bushings frozen up real good inside the frame making the barrel appear to be permanently married to the frame. My intention was to purchase this frame for a project platform and didnt concern myself with .177 too much to worry about it . I did acquire a spinlok tank and finally have had the chance to get shooting this last week. My first pcp experience, I just got the gun sighted in and zeroed out the full 62 yards length of my backyard. Shooting JSB exacts I have several 1/2″ 5 shot groups with that enemic .177 …. My budget BSA scope zeroed @ 62 yrds :rofl:
    I have a total of maybe 35 shots fired . My first PcP experience,,,, I am fairly impressed so far with just this peepsqueek. Oh and after some heat and massaging I was able to liberate the barrel from the frame.
    I wasnt able to continue much further as I had to consume myself with my sweetie for this past weekend due to the Valentines holiday and recent neglect while I am preoccupied on this forum and inside the workshop. So if any noticed my absence recently, I was being an attentive and good mate to my young lady. Enough to maintain some appearance of being properly whipped or PW’d At least for the moment! :2: :butkick:
    Cant wait to get started on .257 project and all geared up to do some decent long range bullet delivery………maybe even plink a coke can @ 500yrds someday! 😀 rtf

knifemaker
    Participant

Man, your gonna be in all kinds of trouble when you get a .257. Between casting, testing and just plain playing with it, She’s lible to get a little tight around the ears. 😆

Knife

dougroundup
    Participant

Ahhhh shucks if ya’d ask her she’d say she’s used to it…” If it aint one thing its another!!!! ”
    I am very lucky to have a girl like her, and have her put up with as much as she does! And,,, I tell her that! Gotta let her know just how lucky I am! I always tell her just how much I appreciate that fact! Gotta love em and appreciate em!
    Most times when I say this, she laughs and says how full of shit I am! She tells me if I really meant that,,,, then I would have already learned to use the clothes hamper! I would pay better attention and would remember what is was she was talking about,,, like that she told me about her niece getting married to that other guy, named Johnny. Ya know the guy she told me about that her brother fired. That kid worked at his wife’s thrift store. Told me about it last monday when whats his name got caught returning late from lunch after leaving with his cousins girlfriend,,,, the one ya know that had that calico cat that looked just like my old cat I had when I was a kid , the one with six extra toes…. well not actually six but one on each paw? ( ok I am in love but I am lazy! Who really pays attention to all that???? Beside she keeps moving the hamper and I was late today and didnt have time to pickup after myself!)
    Not too many other chicks would let me overtake the livingroom with all my stuff like I do!
    She has steadily learned and has gotten used to the importance and full priority of just how important something such as to tear apart a go kart motor on the dining room table at 3:00 am on a work night!
    I’ve had some gals that made for a fine fashion accessory, like an expensive watch, sure made me look good and feel important too, but could never do anything I wanted to do without having to worry about mucking things up like scratching the watch or knocking a gear off a jewel….or being careful taking it off and if not careful to keep an eye on it, only to have it come up missing.
    Then there was another gal that didnt mind hanging out in the shop and not afraid to get her hands dirty, could even bait her own hook, she liked to do alot of the same stuff I would do, sometimes did it much better, including other girls. Guys theres no competition, you can never win this battle of the sexes when your out-numbered. Careful fellows what ya wish for,, no fantasy island going on here and its too much work to stay on Top! I just couldnt hang and besides she couldnt cook….
    Ya know I live a much more simple lifestyle,,, I dont base my selfworth on who I am fucking or how hot my companion is….. I am much more balanced and am comfortable in my own skin . I gotta a great ol….. I mean great young lady that is my freind partner and better half ,,, she puts up with me because she simply wants to,, I am with her because I like to be with her too. She is going to trip about the toxicity of lead and will worry for my health. I will continue to cast lead on the kitchen stove. Only after my usual “yes dear” and then I will do it when she is not home…. in her typical way she will pretend not to notice…. God I love that woman!
    On a another note… if anything should happen to me and she has to sell off all my toys… I can only hope she sells my stuff for what it is really worth and not what I think that she thinks its worth. :rofl:

knifemaker
    Participant

:rofl: WHO?

dougroundup
    Participant
    quote knifemaker:

:rofl: WHO?

Exactly my point! Who can pay attention to all that!? Now that baby just got a new car last night, we can get back to doing more of what we really want to do!
    I am getting more prepared to get this 257 in motion. I am trying to decide upon what .257 bullet to build upon and determine whether to get a 1:10 or the 1:14 twist barrel. Too bad nobody seemed too intersted in experimenting with 1:12 and wanted to do a group buy on a mandrel for TJ’s to build custom .257…. I wish my budget wasnt so tight already, I’d consider it. I suppose its better that I am on a tight budget as it helps keep me focused in one direction!
    I tried the link posted for RJ’s bullets but the link doesnt seem to work for me. I sent RJ a private message. :8:
    Think that I am going to start a new thread…..

rj-porter
    Participant

I edited my post for my web site. It is
    http://www.accuratebigboreairgunammo.webs.com

knifemaker
    Participant

Thank’s RJ!

Knife

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.