Buck shot for a .22, is it possible?

Home Forums AirForce General Chat Buck shot for a .22, is it possible?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    bodhisdad
    Participant

I was wondering if there is a # of buckshot which would work for the .22. Round ball has good penetration and i’d like to try some rounds. I figure they would be cheaper then pellets as well.

justforfun
    Participant
    paulj
    Participant

IMO. There is only 2 ways to shoot rd. lead.A smooth bore or a patched ball where there is no direct contact with lead ball and rifling.Beside inaccurate from lead shaving peeling from ball,that is contact with rifling,a patch would work but it would cheaper and less trouble just to use cheap pellets.

beargrease51
    Participant

H&N “Rundkugeln” do .22 lead balls in .177 ,20 & .22 and up to 9mm also, i used these in .22 back in the early 80’s in a Sharp Innova with good results, back then they were available in two .22 sizes, 5.5 & 5,52 or something like that, i used the larger of the two cuz they had to be tight in the breach to cause a good seal as can be expected without a skirt. Bear

mikemv
    Participant

Yep.. You can thank a debauched currency as one factor that is increasing the price of lead not to mention other factors. Some ammo is in short supply and all of it has gone up a great deal due to raw material prices.
    Balls/shot work ok out to ~35-50 yds max I would say. Not the best flyers but heavy enough. Most are a bit harder than pure lead but no harder than some pellets. Farily tight fit in 22. Last I saw was a price of around $42 for an 8 lb container plus shipping. Place over in MN has some.

mikemv
    Participant

BTW thats ~35 to 3600 “pellets”

knifemaker
    Participant

I wonder what the weight is. I’ve heard of people having very good results with lead shot (Round) in the .25. It has greater penetration. And the accuracy reportedly isn’t bad.

There should be no more leading problems than with any lead pellet. Mike

rob3dr
    Participant

Size F buck is .220 caliber. Works fairly well in some of my guns, not so much in others.

poi
    Participant

Like rob said “F”
    http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/prodinfo.asp?number=SBK1F

I had some real fun shooting under 25yd w/ three in the tube and the hat opened out…I downloaded Pics of groups to the ol Tog…hmm BRB…

…Nope, found it but dont have the account to post it, but there is one target shot at paper 18yd. three touching holes (they will string verticaly any farther) tons of lead flying at once an a devistating thud on impact. I contacted Airforce Re: potential damage and was told there is no concern…only did it for a while but the barrel seemed to suffer no ill effect.

hrunting
    Participant
    quote :

Last I saw was a price of around $42 for an 8 lb container plus shipping. Place over in MN has some.

I think he is referring to http://www.ballisticproducts.com/. They are an awesome group of people. They are a 45 minute drive away and I buy shot from them often.

paulj
    Participant

Maybe i should explain myself. If you shoot a pellet ,after it exspands inti land and groves,i will spin thru barrel,causing to stabilize inself,no problem.
    Now shoot a rd. lead ball,look at the contact area around sphere,contact is about 1/32 maybe 1/16 ,as it is pushed thru bbl,it will change its contact wit rifling and start new grooves and shed lead. Maybe a few rounds will hit target,some may be fliers. Round leads was never meant to make direct contact. This is my own opinion ,and you can do what you please,but rd. will never go thru my talon. 😀

riffraff
    Participant
    quote Paulj.:

Maybe i should explain myself. If you shoot a pellet ,after it exspands inti land and groves,i will spin thru barrel,causing to stabilize inself,no problem.
    Now shoot a rd. lead ball,look at the contact area around sphere,contact is about 1/32 maybe 1/16 ,as it is pushed thru bbl,it will change its contact wit rifling and start new grooves and shed lead. Maybe a few rounds will hit target,some may be fliers. Round leads was never meant to make direct contact. This is my own opinion ,and you can do what you please,but rd. will never go thru my talon. 😀

Makes sense. A round ball will try to roll instead of slide. Thats why they invented the mini-ball rounds for rifled muskets way back when.

paulj
    Participant

Riffraff,You got it,you said it better than me. 😀 😀

rob3dr
    Participant

no, buckshot will not win any matches, but it’s cheap and reasonably accurate plinking fodder. An 8lb jug of size F shot was around $20 when I got mine… I still have plenty left. Out to 25 yards, they were plinking accurate. If you are looking for something to hunt with or do target shooting, forget it… but for fun, sure.

riffraff
    Participant

Rob I totally agree. I was just trying to verbalize the picture in my head.

Im thinking of getting the Co2 setup so I can shoot more. My AF pump is starting to quit, and I havent yet found an affordable replacement. One dive shop within 130 miles and they only fill to 3000PSI, crap…

—not an attempt to hijack the thread, LOL—

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.