Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

Birds Legally Killed in the USA

Home Forums General Hunting Birds Legally Killed in the USA

This topic contains 19 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  benthehunter 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

fwbgbs
    Participant

anonymous

what
    Participant

A city near by has declared themselves as a bird sanctuary.
    The town laws state that no bird can be killed.

Don’t get me started about pigeons !!!

Frikken pigeons, start coo’ing half hr before sunrise, crap everywhere
    and attrack other pigeons !!! But they’re big targets 🙂

Never tried squab 😕

fwbgbs
    Participant
    quote what:

A city near by has declared themselves as a bird sanctuary.
    The town laws state that no bird can be killed.

Don’t get me started about pigeons !!!

Frikken pigeons, start coo’ing half hr before sunrise, crap everywhere
    and attrack other pigeons !!! But they’re big targets 🙂

Never tried squab 😕

That truly DOES suck!

Oh awesome man!!
    I never heard about you but i like to know about you.
    Then what are the major activities done at your institution?
    I really want to know about it if i can do anything for it then i will.
    I really have some good contacts so if i can do anything for it then tell me.
    I have never seen some of birds you described in the photos.
    Now a days where some thing is going to disappear then we should try to balance it because they are a part of our food chain.
    Thank you

fastfreddy

I make a habit of weeding out pest birds everyday, I have feeders and my wife likes making a nice habitat for the birds that are endangered or their numbers are on the decline.

The only sparrows that aren’t protected are HOSP or house sparrow all the other birds are protected.

You can shoot a lot of other species if seen engaged in destruction of property or plantlife.

http://web.extension.uiuc.edu/wildlife/permit_birds.cfm

There are only 3 birds not protected and all birds are protected while nesting (actual eggs in nest) if you see an unwanted bird building a nest just keep letting it build the nest part way and take it down that will keep them too busy to reproduce.

The 3 birds not protected are the house sparrow, european starling, and rock pidgeon.

You may ask why this is any concern on an airgun site well I’ll tell you why it matters and the reason is this.. if we want to be able to keep on using our air rifles with very little control over where we use them and not have the powers that be looking over our shoulders all the time and limiting our power or registering everything or elimination of silencers we have to make sure we don’t damage the good birds populations or it will only be a matter of time until they stop us from refilling them or control the power output or something so just a good idea to know what you are shooting at and the damn cowbird is protected but it deserves to die due to it’s impact on songbird populations. I am all for killing of crows too they are the worst in my opinion but if airgunners pop every bird they see without knowing what it is they are shooting it will damage populations and once again a matter of time until PETA or some group ruins our day.

joshua-alvin

I do appreciate you posting facts about the birds. Those are beautiful photos as well. I hope that they will be allowed to live in their natural habitat and not in captivity. Birds are meant to be flying free and not taken advantage by hunters.

Their native habitat is in Europe. If they wanted to migrate legally to the U.S., then they should have filled out the paper work like the rest of us.

Starlings are beautiful when you see them as a single bird, but they move in enormous groups that crap on everything. They have effectively made some parks unusable by the sheer volume of crap.

I used to watch packs descend and drive off chickadees, tit mice, juncos, wrens, and Harris sparrows. They make the ugliest squawk.

European Starlings are obscene.

Why couldn’t we have African starlings plaguing us? At least then they would be orange, iridescent blue, and white.

bad-balance

I have never understood why crows are hunted by so many guys.

They are smart and clean up roadkill. They are not usually destructive. Is it the challenge?

the-marine

where i live in the country its open season on what is avaliable,they want to live better not be around me,a moving target is far better then one that dont! 😆

bad-balance

Their feathers make for great flies for fishing. I always have a starling skin on hand.

the-marine

starlings and blackbird are always fun,way harder to kill a crow so they are the best challenge, crows have guards,either one wont give you a second shot.

hoot
    Participant
    quote Bad Balance:

They are smart and clean up roadkill. They are not usually destructive. Is it the challenge?

I have to agree with you. I admire Crows. They are probably one of the most intelligent birds around. Wild turkeys are supposed to be really smart too, but I’ve never had an opportunity to speak with one. Crows, on the other hand, I’ve spoken to a number of times, generally early in the morning when their calls wake me up. I mimic their morning cry by yelling in a high tone…”SHUTTHEFUCKUP!!!

I think the ethical question here is “Would a crow shoot me if the situation were reversed?”

I believe most crow hunters believe the answer to this is “Yes”, and justify their actions as self defense!

Little known fact: A group of crows is called a “Rape” of crows!

This came about in the early ages, when there were more birds than humans. Crows were known to form gangs, seek out young virgins, and despoil them…thus the name. Even to this day, if you see a woman running down the street screaming “Rape! Rape!”, you will generally find a crow nearby.

Kindest regards,

Uncle H 😯 😯 t

22condorss

Hoot, I always enjoy your posts. Keep it up!

thehunter
    quote Hoot:

quote Bad Balance:

I have to agree with you. I admire Crows. They are probably one of the most intelligent birds around. Wild turkeys are supposed to be really smart too, but I’ve never had an opportunity to speak with one.

Turkeys are very smart. We raise them on our farm, and they talk to us. Sounds kinda strange, but they do. They have their own language. Fun big “parrots”, that live with chickens. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar