Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

Beeman P1 and P11, Pistol Question?

Home Forums Other Guns Springers Beeman P1 and P11, Pistol Question?

This topic contains 28 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  miksatx 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

iride
    Participant

I have a couple of P17s in 177 cal only and I love them, 30 dollar guns, LOL . Now that I have modified them to use loading pens for the pellets,
    I walk the grounds of my daughters horse farm, Looking for a rabbit , Rattle snake , I holster the gun as I need both hands to pick stuff up..
    Been looking real hard at the P1 and P11 in 22 cal
    Any one have any thing to say about the beeman pistols , I am leaning real hard towards the 22 Beeman P11
    Oh my little P17s in 177 have killed over 50 rabbits and 100 rattle snakes in the past few years…
    I am just asking , Whats your opinion,
    Thanks
    Mike

papa-schultz
    Participant

Hi Mike, had the .177 P1 equivalent HW45 when I was a youngster.
    It’s a spring piston gun and in .177 I had 2 power levels depending on how far I tensioned the spring.
    Compared to the P17, the principle is similar, pull the “hammer” to release the upper part which serves as lever and swing over. And here’s where the difference comes: the cocking is done during the forward swing, unlike the P17.
    Loading the pellet is similarly fiddly, though.
    The trigger is adjustable and is a fine one, no complaints.
    As for spring rifles, the recoil can be challenging, finding the correct consistent grip and trigger pull from shot to shot is crucial here but is a damn good training. Shot her with a russian red dot sight or the open sights back then, absolutely fine.
    Recently, I pulled her out of her retirement closet (Ok, this is 25 years later, whithout any maintenance as I forgot I still owned it) and tried to shoot her again. I said tried as to my surprise when locking shut, the shot went off by itself. Then I remembered that this was the reason I had sent her to retirement. I guess the sear mechanism is worn or something’s broken, no adjusting the trigger will sort the issue. Tried to sort it out, but didn’t manage to dismantle the gun. To her honour, that is with some 10000 pellets downrange and for sure some abusive handling in my youth years. Either I seek professional help or replace her.
    I for my part enjoyed this gun, hope you will, too.
    Actually I thought about a P17, looks like you’re happy with them?

iride
    Participant

Thanks Papa
    I am very happy with my P17 at 35 dollars it s a down right steal.
    I have to holster my guns walking around picking up large objects , bending wire on the fence, The P 17 fits the bill great.
    The P 11 was an impulse buy at 2 am , I just hope I can get a holster for it, All will be good.
    Mike

iride
    Participant

Got my Beeman P 11 in , Like any springer it take a few shots to settle in, I also been shooting 22 cal Crow mags
    I will switch to some 16gr JSBs and see how it does ,
    I really like the feel of it and the cocking is pretty easy,
    Now to find a holster for it,
    Mike

iride
    Participant

Dam I got to find a pellet it likes , I got so used to shooting PCPs and my Pneumatic singe stroke pistols , This P 11 has a kick,
    Time to get the sand bags back out , Fun gun been working on the trigger,
    Its got to shoot just as good as my 35 dollar P 17s and hit a can at 30 yards open sites,
    Just ordered a couple of 1911 holsters hope they fit,
    Mike

iride
    Participant

Cleaned the barrel of the P 11 , I should have done that first, But I knew it was going to diesel a little bit,
    It took a while to get the barrel clean, Maybe I will get to shoot tomorrow,
    Man It feels just like a 1911 in the hands. I did kill a coke can today at 25 feet just two quick shoots
    Mike

miksatx
    Participant

Dang Mike this is all kinda discouraging news. I was hoping on a glowing report on the trigger. I notice while pulling the trigger on my p17 I get a couple seconds between shakes lol. So long trigger kills the hell out of my accuracy at 15yrds. I’d be lucky to hit a 8″X11″ target at 30 yrds with open sights.

iride
    Participant

I got the trigger down pretty good its got a long frist stage and fine second stage. Going to work on my first stage , After I get a pellet it likes and get it dialed in, Right now my 177 35 dollar P 17 will shoot rings around this 500 dollar springer, I just think it needs to settle in and down and let me find a pellet it likes,
    I do not get to shoot on weekends so its going to be Monday before I pick it back up.
    I still have hopes the gun will settle down and shot a decent group.
    I love pistols , and just by nature I am a pistol man,
    But I also love my PCP bull pups, The accuracy just flips me out, Not new to the sport but I am still in holy shit mod. Its the gun , Its not me.
    Mike

papa-schultz
    Participant

Mike, from what I remember it’s all about the right hold, which should be consistent from shot to shot. After all she’s a springer…
    The trick is not to hold her too firm. Only the thumb and middle finger get a firm hold around the grip, the other two fingers just support to get a stable aim. Same for the second, support hand. No firm grip, just light support. Let her jump when shooting the two fingers which provide a firm grip serve as pivot.
    Hope, the description is understandable.

iride
    Participant

Thanks, I know the springs like a special hold,
    I found some Benjamin 14.3 gr pellets I am going to see it likes them a little better.
    I have not used the sand bags yet, Still to come.
    Mike

iride
    Participant

The target is starting to tighten up a little, I been shooting at 20 feet and 30 yards,
    My P 11 is 22 cal, when all is said and done its life is going to be shooting rattle snake heads at one to two feet,
    ANY one wanting a pistol, and can live with a 177 , A beeman P17 at 35 dollars is a better deal,
    I have two 35 dollar P17 and I do not think the 600 dollar P 11 will ever out shoot them, Hell I know it will not.
    That’s a fact coming from a pistol man,
    Even my 177 Tempest will shoot better, But I have shot that gun for 40 years, Its my back up on snakes for now,
    Oh, I have the sand bags out and there is a little improvement .
    Mike

bogman

Crow Magnums don’t shoot well out of any of my guns. I’ve got several springers and they seem to like JSBs, but often shoot Beeman FTS (Field Target Special) or H&N Field Target Trophy with better results. The last two look like the same pellet, at 14.66 gr. Another one, which I’ve had good luck with is Beeman Silver Bear, about 12.6 gr. Those shoot quicker and deform into more lethal shapes, being a hollow-point, semi wadcutter design.

Sand bags only work for me when my hand/arm is on them. Springers bounce around on harder surfaces. Some really like egg crate foam as a rest. This post shows foam-rested groups: http://www.talonairgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=35296

I’m going out of town for awhile; let me know if you’d like me to mail you some .22 pellets to try out, including the ones above.

iride
    Participant

Thanks bogman
    But I got a 22 pellet sampler coming , I think a big problem is a 22 14 grain pellet at 500fps has a major drop,
    I am going to put it through the Crono this week end, I will see the true FPS ,
    The feel of the gun is super cool and just like a 1911.
    Mike

iride
    Participant

22 pellet sampler is on back order.
    I did put a black bottle cap on the ground at about two feet and hit it every time, Snake head,
    I got a way cool 1911 holster for it, If I can get this magic picture posting down I will post up,
    Be cool to compare the rig to my P17 rig, But I have had years to prefect the P17 rig,
    I even have a pretty cool rig for my Tempest 177 but its leather old school, and no pellet holder.
    Mike

miksatx
    Participant

What pellets have ya tried so far?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar