Q:

Anybody making their own pellets?

Just wondering. I bookmarked this site a while back. Very intriguing.

http://www.corbins.com/pellets.htm

Paul

General Chat

All Replies

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

1 2 3
quote garytex:

The .20 cal FMG airbullet from So. Africa sure looks like it might have come out of a Corbin double diameter die. It seems to shoot well. Who will be the first to step up to the plate and start swaging a .25 cal one for us boys here in the states? I would be a customer.

What are you willing to pay for a 100 50 grainers? or whatever weight you prefer?
slug your barrel and I can make you some at the same time as Butcher’s
Walter….

The .20 cal FMG airbullet from So. Africa sure looks like it might have come out of a Corbin double diameter die. It seems to shoot well. Who will be the first to step up to the plate and start swaging a .25 cal one for us boys here in the states? I would be a customer.

quote DogWood:

Found this web site, guy makes his own pellet molds

http://airgundevelopment.com/mold.html

correction….. ‘made’ no further info since Nov’07

That was a first go at a mould. Not bad but would require a lot of refinement to make a shootable bullet/pellet

Found this web site, guy makes his own pellet molds

http://airgundevelopment.com/mold.html

Blackops

I can’t seem to figgure out how to do the quote thing, however the choking in air gun barrels is miniscule, and swaging a projectile moving in a barrel requires much less energy than initially starting and engraving a projectile. There was an article in the magazine for the powderburner obsessed “Precision Shooting” that addressed this several years ago. Some guy built a test rig, shoved bullets down a barrel, and measured the energy it took. The engraving forces were much much higher than the sliding friction.

I am sorry you couldn’t make a connection with Corbin back when you had the time and inclination to swage. Damn the bad luck.

However, somebody out there is swaging pellets, we just need to find him, or do the sizing process outlined above. I suspect, from the few lackluster reports on solid projs. like the piledriver, that the swaged projs. are the ticket.

I would appreciate hearing from folks tha thave experience with solid projs. If they are an accuracy dead end I dont wan’t to pursue it. Conversely if there is hope etc. etc. Anybody shot the Sharks?

As an interesting aside, before NASA’s plasma guns, and even before their squeeze rail guns, in the late 1950’s they were trying to get high vels out of firearms to simulate space collisions or something. They did a .50 BMG case necked down to .22 and got about 5000 fps, and decided that they didnt have enough piston area on the base of the proj. So they built a barrel in which the internal diameter of the bore tapered from .50 to down in the .2 range and touched it off. I cant remember exactly what they got, however it was significantly faster, like 9-10 thousand fps. An acquaintance of mine was an engineer at NASA at the time, not assigned to the project, but being a gun nut wandered over to watch.

P. O. Ackley did some similar stuff, however his was”what happens when a dumbass manages to get a .30 bullet in his .270″. He cut some special chamber reamers to get the round in the chamber with an inch or do of leade and let her rip. Unlike many of his experiments that resulted in barrels squirting off the ends of actions, there wasn’t a significant pressure rise.

As I scratch my memory a little I also think I remember an Air Force connection to a .50 to .30 project, and a 20mm to .50 trial trying to figgure out how to shoot down those faster jets during the same time period. They got great vels, but were inaccurate.

quote garytex:

When all else fails read the destructions… I went back and thoroughly read the Corbin description of what could be made with their dies, and was very impressed with the bore rider-driving band style that they have already figgured out. That would be the nuts. I want to find someone swaging that pellet in a heavy weight and buy some. I e-mailed Corbin to that effect. Anybody out there making pellets?

Please let us know if you hear anyting back from them…I tried to get some dies made last year and wasn’t able to get an answer back from them…I was able to order some lead and stuff but they never got back to me on the dies.

I did a ton of research into projectiles about 3 years ago and have 600 lbs of pure lead, 2 spools of Corbin pure lead and one feeble attempt at making a set of swaging dies at home…they worked but need a lot more attention to detail and clearances.

Look up subsonic .22 rimfire and see what you think? they retain over 90% energy @ 100 yards! rimfire barrels have the same twist as our air rifles so the projectile “should” be stabile. swaging dies would let you go longer or shorter to find the perfect length for a certain fps too.

I’m wondering about the end of most airgun barrels being choked also…in my mind a solid pellet could cause some problems? For solid pellets a conventional unchoked barrel may give the best results???

I have too many other projects now to mess with the dies right now but am VERY interested in seeing what you guys come up with.

Jim.

quote :

ok, then do this Dan
buy the set of dies from Corbin
make a wire cutter
buy lead wire
buy a cheap reloading press I use a LEE
should be setup for $300
make bullets Smile

Thats good info right there. Thanks man.

quote :

That’s one idea for those big heavy pellets that would be hard to push into the barrel.

You might try working out at a gym to build muscle.. 😆

That’s one idea for those big heavy pellets that would be hard to push into the barrel. If somebody could develop a bolt action type thing that would give you some leverage and something bigger to push on while the front of the bolt pushed the pellet into the barrel. I have no idea how you could put a bolt on these things, but that’s not my job. 😛

When all else fails read the destructions… I went back and thoroughly read the Corbin description of what could be made with their dies, and was very impressed with the bore rider-driving band style that they have already figgured out. That would be the nuts. I want to find someone swaging that pellet in a heavy weight and buy some. I e-mailed Corbin to that effect. Anybody out there making pellets?

my good friend daniel make a .43 barrel for his shark co2 shotgun. this is the pellet

Here is a video a made.
Sorry i cant find the subtitled version.
watch starting 4:03 time code.
Sorry i know is not an airforce but as we are talking to big pellets this maybe be usefull to somebody to make their own pcp version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AR3Tzwu81k

I am happy I’m not the only person wanting the whack of a heavy, pointed, not drag stabilized projectile.

My original idea was to swage a projectile that would be a bore rider design, like the solid brass match .50 BMG proj. that would have a small driving band or bourelet at the after end that would be bore diameter to seal the air, and the main body of the proj. would be the diameter of the tops of the lands, and ride thereon. This would undoubtedly be the optimal proj., efficient, & accurate. Unfortunately it is also the biggest pain in the ass to make, and would require one of Corbin’s swages, and custom made, at that. (Swageing is where you actually use enough pressure to deform a lead pug, usually cut from a piece of dead soft lead wire into the shape you want)

OK, could we get by with someting simpler and cheaper?

I was speaking to Dave at Lee Precision on Friday, and they sell custom sizers for around $40. They have no experience to relate re. airgun projs., but were open to the idea. That’s more like my price comfort level for hare-brained schemes. The sizer is basically a tapered hole that one merely pushes an already shaped proj. through. A custom as opposed to production die is needed as airgun bores are undersized as compared to powderburner sizes, which they stock, and cost about half as much. Included is a luber using a liquid waxy lube that can be cut with mineral spirits

This is what I intend to do:
1) Measure twist of barrel
2) Apply Greenhills formula to determine max length projectile that will stabilize.
3)Slug the barrel to determine size
4) Purchase someones’ (Maybe Wayne Dowdna, he does my 470 N. E. & .577 N. E. bullets and isn’t afraid of oddball ideas) .22 or .25 bullets with lots of lube grooves to reduce engraving force. I don’t want to cast bullets-been there, done that.
5)Size them in a custom Lee sizer die that fits on my regular reloading press.

I see the biggest problem as finding small enough projectiles to size down well, and I also worry about high engraving force and sliding friction.

Those .25 cal bullets in the picture from South America with the very gentle waist look like a good idea,

The other issue, now that I think about it is that a hollow base may be necassary for sealing, sort of like a .38 cal wadcutter, as airgun pressures won’t obdurate (mush a bullet so hard it expands and seals the bore) projs.

My gun is off getting tweaked at a smith right now, so I can’t tinker with it but I’ll be working on and reporting on this project as it stumbles along.

I would love to hear from others regarding this little recipe that I have devised. It is so much easier to learn the little tricks from someone who has been there, done that.

The 9mm and .45 cal look to be full-length bearing surfaces, and I assume they work OK.

Anybody got any ideas or experience?

Thanks, Gary

the first prototype weight 55 grain but they reduce the contacts point and thath mean less material. i think they are around the 48 grains.

this is the original prototype

How heavy are those?

That’s the one advantage I can see with making your own pellets. You could make them heavier than what is offered on the market. Some of our condor’s would do well with a 50g pellet. 🙂

Here there are some folks who not found on market in argentina heavy .25 pellets. So they made their own.

a friend of mine is travelling right now to miami to show these pellets and do some serious test to see if worth the job to be made in industrial numbers

they also made a version at .22 caliber but i still cant see the final pellet.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

1 2 3
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.