Skip to toolbar

Anybody making their own pellets?

Home Forums AirForce General Chat Anybody making their own pellets?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    libertyman777
    Participant

Just wondering. I bookmarked this site a while back. Very intriguing.

http://www.corbins.com/pellets.htm

Paul

ribbonstone
    Participant

Years back, had a pair of McGuire (?) molds …later to become LEM form England…that cast a little spitzer .177 and one in .22. Becasue of the way they were designed, top accuracy was never possible (becasue it required you to bugger up the skirt).

Swaging is the way to do, but you’d have to have a burning need for some odd caliber to make it worth the effort.

riffraff
    Participant

It is interesting to think about, but the price of a single die scared me off.

walkonking
    Participant

I think that is the stuff Pyramid Air uses to make some of their big pellets/slugs

libertyman777
    Participant
    quote RiffRaff:

It is interesting to think about, but the price of a single die scared me off.

Yeah, it would have to be “worth it to you”. But the ability to tailor a particular pellet shape and weight for a rifle……….

If I understand correctly, quality air rifle barrels shouldn’t wear out (at least not over many tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of shots). If that’s the case, then making hunting/target rounds specifically designed for that barrel might be plausible.

I’m also curious about retained energy downrange. Seems to me that since the “pellet” is shaped more like a Minie Ball instead of a wasp waisted pellet, then is should retain more velocity downrange and have more energy than a wasp waisted pellet of similar weight fired at the same velocity.

Does this sound right or am I suffering from rectal/cranial inversion?

Paul

andrew-zx
    Participant

How much for .22 air gun pellet,anybody know?

bodhisdad
    Participant

I’d love to get a die to make my own pellets. One in which was tested and delivered the performance desired. Why is that difficult, i’d think one like the 30g Eley Wasp would be perfect, bullet shaped for higher power AGs, heavy enough for those running with a Condor valve, or custom one. Have it available in a couple different grains and caliburs. Its shape is perfect for high powered Ags. The pile driver is also carried by AOA, i know not my first choice of suppliers, but they have what others don’t. I hate monopolys, which is what we have with AOA, tis why prices are jacked up as much as they are.
    http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/

knifemaker
    Participant

I too am intrigued by the possibility of a spitzer type pellet. Especially a boat-tail design. But for this to work, we would need custom bbl’s with a twist rate compatible with the conical shaped projectile.

dnc
    Participant

I want to try bullet swaging, but I don’t want to buy corbin stuff because it seems way overpriced. What are other alternatives?

mr-lama
    Participant

You can hold your hand in a cup shape, and pour the molten lead into it. Just close your hands around it to the diameter of the pellet you want, and hold it there until the lead hardens.

It’s a cheap alternative.

dnc
    Participant

What diameter is your eye socket?

voltar-1
    Participant
    quote dnc:

I want to try bullet swaging, but I don’t want to buy corbin stuff because it seems way overpriced. What are other alternatives?

You obviously have never made anything of that quality or precision
    therefore you cannot comment on the price.
    For the product Corbins make the price is incredible.
    Try and get anyone here to machine you a setup like they sell! good luck
    Walter….

walkonking
    Participant
    quote Voltar_1:

quote dnc:

You obviously have never made anything of that quality or precision
    therefore you cannot comment on the price.
    For the product Corbins make the price is incredible.
    Try and get anyone here to machine you a setup like they sell! good luck
    Walter….

Walter he is only a young Buck and his opinions will change as his experience increases. Many folk come to learn it is better to buy it right the first time then wrong several times over.

Corbins stuff is top grade and it worth it for those who want it.

dnc
    Participant

Apparently I offended you. Sorry.

Actually, I CAN comment on the price. I found THIS die:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=549404&t=11082005

for a whopping 43.00!! Many corbin dies are over 200.00.

Can you see why a total n00b would question the price?

You’re exactly right. I have NO idea of what goes into making one of those. Obviously its completely ridiculous to ask about other alternatives, or to say that something seems rather expensive when you’ve never made it yourself!!

I’ll have to remember that next time I’m buying clothes or something. OH. Cant comment on the price of that shirt as I’ve never hand knitted one!

If you are insinuating that I don’t respect the difficulty of maching work, and the skill involved, then your are dead wrong.

/rant

mr-lama
    Participant
    quote WalkonKing:

Many folk come to learn it is better to buy it right the first time then wrong several times over.

Yeah. Dnc reeeeeally needs to work on that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.