Another adjustable buttplate…

Home Forums General Mods/Machinists Another adjustable buttplate…

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    teflontron
    Participant

Fingernails aren’t armor-plated chitin? Damn!

photo22
    Participant

baz…thats a nasty one…..ooh 😮

baz
    Participant

Heres a picture of the cutter that I’ll be using to trim most of the waste alluminium off. The other picture is of some alluminium plate and bar which I got from a metal suppliers from Sheffield, they cost me £5 for the lot. So now I’ve got some materials and a cutter, I’ll start trimming some bits off the outside to start forming the bottle ring. I’ll post pictures of progress as I go along. Catch you later.

rabbits
    Participant

u going to have some fun baz mate .. 😀

blodnob
    Participant

The truth about the thumb is he got it traped in Jills purse when it 😆 snaped shut on him.

rabbits
    Participant
    quote blodnob:

The truth about the thumb is he got it traped in Jills purse when it 😆 snaped shut on him.

ha sean it,s the same in my house i told the wife i was thinking about one off your shrouds and she gave me the look .. u know one off they one,s that could kill lol 👿

marc
    Participant

Looks a bit like my indexfinger after it stopped the grinding wheel from my bench grinder by locking it between the grinding wheel and the support plate. I lost practically my whole nail( grew back though) I feel your pain man!

Regards,

Marc

mcmike
    Participant
    quote baz:

I’ve been following this subject with interest for quite a while. I would like to ask if anyone has any objections to me trying to make something similar to these designs?

Of course not. It should all be about sharing ideas.
    A tip; Don’t make that axle clamping hole too far from tank. In my latest version it’s just about as far as you can go with that design. If you go farther it will not clamp on tank and axle anymore.
    Also you need to make the tolarance over tank very precise (65.5mm) to be able to clamp both. ( OMG with your finger nail. 😯 )

YN; screwing is propably possible but welding makes it rocksolid. And I was able to borrow proper welder for exhange of couple coffee packets. 😉

Jim; Unfortunately I don’t plan to sell these but once I got the CNC-machined versions of ring and make new endplate I will have 1-2 extra complete systems to spare. I might exhange it to something useful.

baz
    Participant

Here are a few pictures of progress so far. I started out with a piece of 1 1/2″ alluminium plate, mounted it in my 4 jaw chuck, used a boring bar to bore the hole to go around the bottle and then took the tool post off the cross slide of my laith and mounted the alluminium plate on the cross slide and started to take away the metal around the outside of the ring, leaving a stub to shape for the shoulder rest.

buba-b
    Participant

Looks nicely done Baz .Its one hard way of doing it lol, but as all can see you dont need a rotary table to make one ,just abit of time /skill 😯 . Butt plate next , how long has it took so far! 😀

mcmike
    Participant

VERY nice. What’s that finish on the surface?

How are you going to attach /tighten it around the tank?

-Mike

baz
    Participant

Thanks. I don’t really know how long I have spent on my laith, but I seem to spend just as long on making things to hold the parts down. But I have spent alot of time with a file and emmery cloth after its come off the laith. The treatment on the surface of the alluminium is an etch that leaves a finish similar to sand blasting, this helps to remove any surface scratches after filing and rubbing down. I bet Rabbits wishes he could use this on his nice looking wood grips. Here’s a few pictures that shows how I’ve been mounting the parts on the cross-slide. I’ll be using pinch bolts to grip on the bottle.

walkonking
    Participant

I am going to steal your ideal on making that slot. I have been looking for slotting saws but I like your idea better. Nice jig BTW

baz
    Participant

Thanks Adam, here’s abit more information on the cutting disc. I’ve included a picture of the label with all the specifications. The main thing to remember is to lock your laith saddle down so it does’nt move left or right by accident and feed the work to the disc slowly allowing time for the disc to cut its way in. Also when I made the spindle for the disc I left it in the laith while I finished all the steps involving making it: e.g. centre mounting for disc, drilling and tapping bolt hole, just to keep everything on centre, if I use this method again I’ll re-make a new spindle, to make sure everything runs smooth, last thing you want is an egg shaped disc.

walkonking
    Participant

Nice, thanks for the shot of the disc. Now I am wondering if I could rig it up to the mill also….

Making the machines and jigs is half the fun….or is it half the frustration? 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.