Another adjustable buttplate…

Home Forums General Mods/Machinists Another adjustable buttplate…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    synopsys
    Participant

Is this round tube stock welded to a billet part? This would be the quickest and cost effective way to mass produce these…

Orange scribble around possible weld…

Jim

mcmike
    Participant
    quote JimW.:

Is this round tube stock welded to a billet part? This would be the quickest and cost effective way to mass produce these…
    Orange scribble around possible weld…

Jim, Yes it is.
    The thing is that welding aluminium requires it’s own equipment which I don’t have access. It is possible to weld with standard welding machine and with dedicated hmm.. what you call that long stick that melts during welding? 😀

In that proto I made two mistakes 🙁 (we all learn by experience don’t we?). First was to make the ring too close to final dimensions before welding (too thin). The welding methods produces so much heat that it is difficult to keep the material from melting too much and produce a decent weld. The second was error in design and I made the darn ring too small overestimating the compression of the rubber.

Yesterday I started to make two new rings. I left the thickness of ring for 15mm so it’s easier to weld. After that the inner diameter is turned to final size. I also try to weld it so that I can machine the weldment to look better.

I also had made a CNC code for highspeed milling machine (45.000 RPM) so that it can be milled from 100mm solid axle. The code will just mill the outer shape and the holes. The split and side holes needs to be manual since the machine is only 2.5D. Btw, it’s pretty nice to drop a solid 3D-model from CAD to milling machine and basicly just aid the machines program to decide best milling process. Gotta take some pictures of the process too. The problem is that the HS milling machine is under heavy usage and I can have access window to it only after 2-3 weeks. And I can’t use it myself but luckyly the operator is a teammate from our floorball team and helps me out with it.

I have a new idea how to make it very easily and cheaply. It’s not as nice but the price should be fraction of solid part. I will post design pics later.

-Mike

synopsys
    Participant

Yeah, welding alum is tough and more so when it is thin. The weld spot is so small I though I was imagining stuff and after the black ano is it not noticeable at all.

TIG welder does aluminum but I think you have to have different gas and a shield or something, I am familiar with thin wall CroMo and Ti welding mostly for bicycles, aluminum frames would need to be heat treated to avoid falling apart at the welds.

Beautiful work Mike!!

Jim

mcmike
    Participant
    quote JimW.:

Yeah, welding alum is tough and more so when it is thin. The weld spot is so small I though I was imagining stuff and after the black ano is it not noticeable at all.

I got grab of better welder. Not TIG but MIG with aluminium wire. Overshoot the weld and chamfers to leave little room for machining. Then I got lazy and instead of carefully milling everything I just turned the front and back surfaces and belt sanded rest. It shows in the results too but at least it works and after anodization I can live with it. I just wish I’d have time and dedication for Buba’s quality finishing 😥

Now it fixes perfectly over bottle cover. The tolerance is very tight because same clamp is used for bottle and axle. Unless one try it out it’s difficult to imagine how much it improves the hold and aiming. IMHO modding the butt is the first things one should do along with the trigger mod.

-mcMike

y
    Participant

Couldnt you just screw it on?

buba-b
    Participant

Looks better than your last go , if you had only milled the corners and got the needle files out ,you would have got the finish you want . Its the way to do it if you want it quick , just dont have a TIG welder 👿 damit !
    I did think of screwing the blocks on but you would need a thicker ring to take the thread or countersunk screw head . The stock is taking alot of force at that point ,so you could rip the screws out ! .You would lose the thiness of the ring too as youve still got to put 2 clamping screws through the same part that youre bolting the blocks to the ring. But im open to clever ideas! anyone !!!! 😀

y
    Participant

I got nothing…. Way beyond my ablities here. I just like throwing out random junk…

At least online someone tells me why its not that good an idea. When I’m in my shop I learn the hard way after a few hours of machining….

walkonking
    Participant

MC,

That is great looking.

synopsys
    Participant

Sweet!!!!! 😯

Looks like THE way to me!

Mike, awesome stuff, so how much? (I don’t have my AF yet and I want an adjustable butt plate already)… 😆

😉

baz
    Participant

I’ve been following this subject with interest for quite a while. I would like to ask if anyone has any objections to me trying to make something similar to these designs? I’ve only got a laith and no milling machine, so I’ll be doing it as much as possible by removing the tool post off my laith and clamping the alluminum plate to the cross slide and probably use a rotabroach hole cutting bit in my laith chuck, and also a couple of end mills that I’ve got for other jobs. This will probably make a few of the more professional machinists on this forum cringe, especially if you were to see the state of my thumb last time I used an end mill in my laith chuck. Lets just say I’ll have to wait a while before I cut my thumb nail.

buba-b
    Participant

Go for it Baz it s a free world !( well on TAG anyway 😀 ), anyone who dose broaching 😯 on their lathe deserves respect for their shear balls / patiance hehe 😀 , just post a pic of the end result plz. We may need to steal ideas from you !!!! 😈 lol

baz
    Participant

Thanks alot, I’ll keep you up to date with my progress. In the mean time, here’s a picture that Shaun [Blodnob] has been trying to get me to bluetooth it to his phone so he can take the mess, to get his own back from when I put the pictures of his blue ankle on the other Talon forum. Just abit of fun between mates [tough look Shaun I got there first]

buba-b
    Participant

😯 LOVELY 😯 ……ment pics of the stock you make ,not that ! 😀 .Your not an engineer without scars, brings back bad memories……. 😥 .Think were hear form you when thats healed then! hehe

walkonking
    Participant

I just threw up a little in my mouth….that is gross. I called my wife in to look at it and she screamed….great stuff.

synopsys
    Participant

Damn dude! Ouch, looks like my thumb after the tablesaw got a hold of it… 😯

But the skill saw to the top of my thumb was the worst. Did you know that exposed human bone looks a lot like chicken bone… 😆 Yup!

Be careful out there!

Jim

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.