Another adjustable buttplate…

Home Forums General Mods/Machinists Another adjustable buttplate…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    buba-b
    Participant

Good work mcMike, dont look to bad 😀 , youve gone for a bigger (Dia) adjusting bar than me ,dose it clamp up alright? . Just got my slitting saw arbour so il get mine finished at the weekend with any luck 😀 .So what next for your designing talents hmmmm! .Dont keep us in the dark 😛

teflontron
    Participant

Oooh!

Looks even better in black, I think. Is anodising hard to do?

walkonking
    Participant

Once you go black you never go back….

Love it 😛

teflontron
    Participant

It really is a shame that after all these years AF STILL haven’t given us a half-way decent buttplate, yet alone the beauties that people are making for themselves.

walkonking
    Participant
    quote TeflonTron:

It really is a shame that after all these years AF STILL haven’t given us a half-way decent buttplate, yet alone the beauties that people are making for themselves.

What I dont get is why they think it was okay to put a Tee Nut into a disc of plastic and have the bottle cover hold it in place?

Mine got cracked and that is what lead me to making my butt plate.

teflontron
    Participant

To be honest, all of the parts of the guns are done on the cheap. However, the real question is whether it’s a bargain or a false economy.

danointx
    Participant

I’m just laughing because you guys keep saying “butt”!

Dan

mcmike
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Buba; I made new minimalistic and very simple design in case you wish to make these for sale. This should be quite a lot easier, faster and cheaper to manufacture. The round buttplate can be made from aluminium + rubber (red in pic) or even single part plastic.

Customer could measure his/her shoulder “diameter” with for example cardboard silhuette and also drop from centerline so you could tailorize the fit. Also you can play with angles for how far “over” shoulder backplate will reach from top and below.

The axle is just press fitted to 16mm bottom hole. With al that should be enaugh but with plastic maybe it needs couple of set screws from both sides.

The idea with “over 180-degree reach” design is to fix your hold everytime to exact same position and improve accuracy.

I think I will do one for myself to see how it feels. The FT-style is ok but not perfect.

-Mike

buba-b
    Participant

I like the more angeled look of the FT type personaly but can see that your new design will hold onto the shoulder better. Dont think it will be easier to make thou and your going to use alot of metal to get the round shape. But il wait until your done one and maybe your tell me im wrong. Ive got an FT stock on the go but im looking for something more grippy to fix to it, but until i get my gun together i cant tell if the stock fits /grips and balances well 🙁 Take it easy 😀

rabbits
    Participant

mike mate your full off idea,s and designs another nice one mate welldone

shadoh
    Participant

Instead of milling a half round you could cut up some thick walled round tube ally. I would go with something larger so the curve is not so tight. You could get three or four BUTT ends out of one section of ring.

The tight ring you have shown would lock to the shoulder but would it be comfortable or easily shouldered?

mcmike
    Participant
    quote Shadoh:

Instead of milling a half round you could cut up some thick walled round tube ally. …
    The tight ring you have shown would lock to the shoulder but would it be comfortable or easily shouldered?

In that pic it is likely too tightly curved. I designed it to be made from 150mm diameter AL axle since I don’t have problem with material 😉
    But it can also be done form 25mm plate and just saw it off.

rabbits; thx for compiments. I am just throwing ideas to get feedback. Better this way than spend time making one and finding it’s not good because I couldn’t think all the aspects.

Buba; Like shadow said you could use 150/100 tube and make two from one cut. Or simply go for plate. I need to think easier way to make that tank connector ring. It’s too difficult to make now. Either with milling from one part or welding from two separate parts. I don’t have access to good al welding equipment. Maybe it could be made from steel. Then it would be a lot easier to weld. Could use also thinner material.

akula
    Participant

Very impressive! I’m interesting purchasing the tank mounting bracket at this time since the total assembly seems to be in the offing. Quote a price and a delivery date please. Any takers? AKULA

buba-b
    Participant

Tube would be the answer ,but the problem for me is to order that size tube 😯 ££££ or get some off cuts . To make it out of plate would take quite abit of work . Ive only got a 8inch swing on my lathe ,so it s getting towards the tricky end 😕 lol . Need to face plate mount it ! and its quite a mass to swing around on my small m/c. 😯
    Maybe heating and bending the alloy plate 😯 ( i no this is tricky) il have to have a read up.
    Stainless for the ring would be a better chioce the welding route , but i prefer the machining way ,avoids all the distortion with welding thin metal , and better finish.
    I did some rings for Rabbits that took abit less time to make ,so think its gona get quicker , but yes they do take time on a rotary table.
    EDM is the way to go ! (wire erosion cutting) be faster than CNC, with cleaner surface finish , but need to make a home built EDM M/C or get a big order for that 😀
    Have to stick with making them handmade for the moment ! 😕
    PM me if you want one made and were talk about what specs you want . Think about £80 + postage and two week delivery time, depends on wot you want. Terms and conditions apply hehe 😀

rabbits
    Participant

well lads what can i say about the rings i got from buba lllllllllllllloooooooovvvvvvveeeeeeeeeelllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy .. i,ll get some pics up soon lads

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.