Skip to toolbar

anodising

Home Forums General Mods/Machinists anodising

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    baz
    Participant

blodnob came round my house last night with a silencer and asked me to anodise it, i asked him who it was for and he said it was just a freebey for somebody so if anybody is expecting a silencer of blodnob i hope you like black.

buba-b
    Participant

Now Baz that just a tease int it! 👿 I / WE need more info than that , especialy arfter all the trouble i ve gone through to get my gun anodised 🙁

rabbits
    Participant

mm i wsih sean would send me a free bee like that .i,ll need to have a good chat with him soon when i get some money sorted out i need to silence my condor .. 😀

blodnob
    Participant

You could’ve had that’n a couple a months ago but sinse the new laws came in i can’t make any more. It was one of the first things i made by way of testing the miller when i first converted it to single phase.
    Works better than it looks. 😉

walkonking
    Participant

Now that look fine. I looked into anodizing a few times. Always get scared off by all the chemicals and stuff.

voltar-1
    Participant

Baz, could you tell us how to do that and get such fine results?
    I did a few experiments but was only able to get a light purple when trying for black.
    A how to anodize would be real cool!
    Walter…

bodhisdad
    Participant

Seems i got one of your anodized TSS Voltar, but its more deep purple. You only notice in the sunlight. I’d like to hear more about the process as i’ve got scratches here and there, wouldn’t mind a touch up. More info would be appreciated, thanks.

baz
    Participant

I’ve read alot about anodising, and it seemed quite a simple process. All you need to do is get some alluminium connect it to the positive wire of a battery charger, get another piece of alluminium or lead connect this to the negative side of the battery charger, submerge both bits in a container full of sulphuric acid and de-ionised water, approxiamtely 50-50 mix, turn on the power, the negative side should start fizzing, the positive side also fizzes but nowhere near as much as the negative side. I tend to leave it fizzing until it stops, usually tahes between 1/2 hour / 1 hour dpending on the size of the part, after this I take the part out and wash with clean water then put into a container with dye in it. I usually boil the dye in a cheap electric kettle. The dye I use is a powder dye [ Dylon no. 8 Ebony]. I get different textures on the alluminium I’m anodising by either doing it straght off the machine for a gloss finish or etch it with a solution of costic soda to get a matt finish similar to the finish on scopes and Talon frames etc. All this is very simple, the acid is ready available and so is the de-ionised water and costic soda crystals. Another tip is if you clean your alluminium in costic soda it might turn black, don’t worry this can easly be removed with very little effort if you put the part in sulphuric acid for a short time then take it out and wash it. Cleanliness seems to be the key to a good result. So remember to de-grease the parts thoughly. Wear glooves so you don’t leave grease or oil off your fingers on the parts. And a good electrical contact with the part that your anodising needs to be maintained, and should be done by using alluminium wire. Have a look at the pictures below, this is how I set up the circuit. The end results and the type of dye that I have found works OK. But I am still looking for a better supply and type of dye to use. Cheers Baz.

bodhisdad
    Participant

Awesome work. Do you have to neutralize the acid after the soaking with a base or just rinse with water? Also i take it glass to be the best container for soaking, something from a science surplus store? They look really good to me.

blodnob
    Participant

Not bad i suppose. 😉

baz
    Participant

No mate, you do not need special containers for the acid as they sell it in plastic containers anyway, just go to an hardware store and buy whatever container that you need and just use that, as you can see from the picture there are a wide choice of colours and sizes available these days. And they are very cheap and you can also get lids to fit them.

buba-b
    Participant

So where do you get you acid from? .Do you desmut with nitric acid before anodising, read that using caustic soda usaly means you have to desumt ?. Your got a good deep black ,im only looking to do small stuff so il have a talk to my bloke about giving me some acid and see if i can have a go . Looked at this site for info , http://astro.neutral.org/anodise.shtml , think he uses the same dye as you 😀

skybones
    Participant

Be very carefull with Nitric acid,it mixed with the right amount of Hydrochloric acid, will dissolve Karat gold into a blu/green liquid. Not to mention, that Nitro-glycerin is based on Nitric acid.The fumes are deadly as well.

bodhisdad
    Participant
    quote blodnob:

Not bad i suppose. 😉

Looks dam good to me. The things you two come up with makes me want to be your neighbors, would love to hang out at the shop and learn from you two.

Baz thanks for the container info, wouldn’t have thought that. I have a bunch around the house.

blodnob
    Participant

Ask Baz to put some pics of his latest project on. That’ll impress you no end. It has me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.