Q:

An X Ray of various suppressor designs

Shrouds and Moderators

All Replies

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

1 2

Cool pic.

Building a Xray machine is actually fairly easy. You just need a high voltage “tube” diode and a HV supply to get those electrons moving fast enough. I built one during my studies for my BSEE. Save the tube I built it all from scratch. Worked well too.

I dabble in metal spining and have been contemplating spinning some conical shape baffles. I will turn a mandrel tomorrow and try my luck at itomorrow night at some simple cones. I have spun some venturi before and I dont see it being any different.

quote Cygnus X:

nice explanation Steve….

TT do you happen to have the list with names matching the pic ?`
would be funny to see what designs belongs to what brands

Sorry Cyg – I just came across the image but there were no names of any of the designs.

really cool post tron.
Steve in la, I was just going to say what you said but you beat me to it!
(are you friggin kidding I still do not know what you said! lol)
Good thing I am a plant manager!

Actually I think the springs are for quick detach usually with a three lug on the barrel instead of threads. Others like the SCAR have a flash hider that the suppressor connects to by pressing on and giving a half turn.

Thanks for the PM Walt.

For those interested, the springs have nothing to do with decibles.
They are part of an anti-recoil device inside the suppressor.

Cool stuff.

They are all baffled designs. Some are offset side to side making them asymmetrical.

Its kind of fun to try and envision how they work.

Some of them look like spring/petal designs where the bore is closed by pressure after the projectile passes thru them.

Others appear to be expanding chamber designs (14,15,16) where the inside of the chambers expand with the gasses then are pushed back to a collapsed position by the spring assembly.
I would tend to believe that would be quite useful on an airgun as my best shroud used rubber fender washers. The problem I had with it was keeping the washers in place as they tended to pull out of thier collars.

Im now using a delrin core that looks just like the kind Blodnob makes. Not quite as silent as the rubber washers, but absolutely foolproof.

nice explanation Steve….

TT do you happen to have the list with names matching the pic ?`
would be funny to see what designs belongs to what brands

X-radiation is ionizing radiation. That means that the photons, or bundles of energy, can remove electrons from other atoms. That interaction is what either damages a cell, but the cell repairs itself. The cell can be damaged and eliminated through normal processes of elimination of dead cells, or the cell is damaged and begins to reproduce itself in a mutated form…cancer.

X-radiation is man made from slaming electrons against a tungsten “target” which breaks them. The resulting interaction between the electrons and the target produces 99% heat and 1% ionizing radiation. Diagnostic radiation doses are quite low. CT scans expose people to more radiation by virtue of the greater time of exposure. However, if there is something wrong with a person that a CT can demonstrate, then it’s probably worth the exposure. That’s a personal choice. There is no healthy dose of radiation whether it is man made, or is from naturally decayng elements.

Whether or not an x-ray tech has a high occupational exposure is directly related to his work habits. There are adequate protections in place, but the stupid factor can still win out. Radiation workers are monitored and if they are found to have too great of an exposure in a given period of time, they can be reassigned, or removed from their job for a period of time, or longer. There is a lifetime dose limit. Radiation exposure is cumulative. Most techs have no problems.

If you are thinking about it as a career, it’s a great job. Every exam is like opening a present. There are many really cool things to see. Techs are not doctors, but they see so much that they can’t help but get good at reading “films.” We still say film although many facilities have gone digital and images are viewed on a monitor.

If you have more specific questions, send me a PM. If this is a topic of interest to many I’m happy to post about it. We should probably create another thread so as not to take over Tron’s great post. It is so cool to see the guts of different LDC’s. Thanks Tron! 😀

Steve it sounds like you know of what you speak. In your opinion how dangerous are x-rays to humans? Do x-ray techs have a higher incidence of cancer?

Tron, that is so cool! There are many things that I would love to x-ray, but I don’t want to get in trouble for doing it. In the medical community, people frown on such things. It’s not worth losing a job, or a license for. I’m sure that the people who perform industrial x-ray can get away with much more than the medical techs.

I have always wondered what internal damage there is to critters shot with pellets. However the thought of being caught shooting film on dead critters is just too much. These days, with digital x-ray, there is no way to shoot x-rays without leaving the evidence somewhere in the system. The sanitary ramifications alone bring me back to reality. People would freak if they knew that there was a dead rat or squirrel on the x-ray table…even if it was double bagged. 😉 Can’t blame them at all.

In case anyone is wondering, the really dark/black areas are air. There is nothing there so the radiation passes right through; just like a lung, or gas in the intestines. Aluminum is a filter for x radiation. That’s why it appears translucent. The white areas are where the x-rays have been completely absorbed. This is either a thick section of aluminum, or a section made of steel.

Thanks Tron, that is so cool!

quote RiffRaff:

quote Love my Talon SS:

quote RiffRaff:

My money would be on #4.

#4 is actually Tron’s dildo 😳 😆

What! No bumps or ridges??

I suppose they would make good fart suppressors too.

Fssssssss 😆

quote Love my Talon SS:

quote RiffRaff:

quote Backyardsniper1:

What’s the most effective design, given that they’re all on the same rifle?

My money would be on #4.

What! No bumps or ridges??

I suppose they would make good fart suppressors too.

quote RiffRaff:

quote Backyardsniper1:

My money would be on #4.

quote Backyardsniper1:

My money would be on #4.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

1 2
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.