Skip to toolbar
Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

Airgun vs Firearm

Home Forums AirForce General Chat Airgun vs Firearm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    tredge
    Participant

I want to make sure I am getting into high end airguns for the right reasons.
    Here is how I currently look at things – please tell me if I’m missing the point at all. I realize it is pointless to try and make a definitive list like this, its just my thoughts and nothing else.

Airgun pros:

• not a firearm
    • lower cost per shot once initial investment is made
    • advancing the technology
    • relatively silent
    • bragging rights – I did it with an airgun
    • accuracy
    • more easily self sustainable
    • easier to tinker with
    • they are just cool

Airgun cons:

• Lower shot count at higher calibers
    • Generally single shot at higher calibers
    • lower range
    • generally requires longer barrels to achieve power needed

Firearm pros:

• consistency
    • no need to refill anything – load and go
    • generally more power and precision in smaller packages
    • more options

Firearm cons:

• its a firearm
    • regulations
    • loud
    • ammo availability and cost per shot

I think if I were to summarize all that – For me, the #1 reason I dont enjoy shooting as much as I should is because by nature I am frugal. I look at every shot as money out of my pocket.
    The noise reduction, helping advance the technology, tinkering, are all secondary to that for me.

Am I getting into this sport for the right reasons?

cdegrassi
    Participant

Interesting question.
    I don’t see the:

“I want an airgun cause I am interested in the hobby and I like tinkering a lot…”
    or
    “I want as air gun cause I am interested in shooting competition ….”
    or
    “I am not going to compare air guns to firearms cause I am going to endup complaining that for the same price I could have bough a bazooka”

I mean why do you want an air gun?
    Does it have to be one of those reasons you listed to justify it or could you just get one to try it and just have fun?

Cheers
    Chris

tredge
    Participant

I laughed at the Bazooka comment. I dont care about having the most powerful or accurate gun on the planet.

Definitely not into shooting competition. I love tinkering – but do not like high maintenance.
    I should have mentioned that I am into this for hunting more than anything else – some plinking. Mostly just fun.

knifemaker
    Participant

Well, Big Bores are “NOT” quiet. Not unless you put a big suppressor on them. (by the way they have those for powder burners as well LOL!!!) But at least there are no legal hurtles to jump thru for AG suppressors ——yet.

If your going to play in the Big Bore game, you have to be able to do some work your self. There is a lot more to it than simply load and shoot.

Knife

birdman
    Participant

Tredge : All true shooters love to shoot their guns , whether it’s a center fire , rim fire , black powder , or air gun. What air guns offer to many shooters
    is the ability to be able to enjoy shooting in their back yard without bothering their neighbors. My neighbors don’t complain about me shooting
    my air gun because my gun is so silent they don’t even hear it when I’m shooting. I have both center fire and rim fire guns and because I live in
    Califorina and my shooting rights are screwed up and are limited as to where I can shoot them. I love being able to shoot in my own back yard
    and not offending anyone , that is why I decided to buy and shoot air guns. Hope this input helps you in your decision about shooting air guns.

knifemaker
    Participant

True enough, and it’s a big part of our hobby. I love to shoot PB’s Butttttt—

Very few people live in an area that will allow them to shoot their pb’s often if at all.

My favorute cal. in PB’s is the .257 Weatherby. However, I shoot the .257 Talon/Dor more in a day than the Weatherby gets shot in a year.

How many powder burner shooters can say that they shoot 150 to 250 rounds of medium bore a day? Unless a full fledged competition shooter, I would guess damned few! 🙁

I shoot more in a month than the average deer hunter will in several life times. LOL!!!

I love to shoot, and AG’s allow me to do it! 😉

And then there is the expense. Since I recover most of my fired lead, and cast for the .257, my cost is a tiny fraction of even the “Cheap” Box Store .22 Long Rifle ammo. And my bullets are precision grade, match quality than can out shoot ANY .22 Rimfire ammo. . . Something that is VERY expensive in the PB world.

Knife

tredge
    Participant

Wow that’s a lot of shooting!
    It makes more sense to me now. It’s not just the cost of the ammunition – being able to shoot in my backyard this often is a whole different ball game. I’ve been keeping my comparisons to just what I can realistically do now – which is self limiting.

With a compressor and a way to collect lead its virtually unlimited. At what point does casting your own rounds make sense? I’ll need to read more about how to do it efficiently.

daveshoot
    Participant

Seems like you’re going to bypass springers… I think they are a minority here, but mastering spring guns makes me a better shooter, period. I just make sure I shoot them first, before going to the PCP or pbs.

Truly the zen of bullet launching.

dougroundup
    Participant

Just a few points to mention that I would like to point out.
    Backyard friendly is likely a fallacy and with powerful PCP guns a flat out lie!
    The only advantage most air rifles have over firearms in the confines of populace is that most use diablo pellets. A projectile that rapidly lose energy over a shorter distance.
    Many of us have PCP guns that are quieted down enough to shoot in our own back yards.
    However, myself I live out in the unincorporated area of the county and even have the luxury of a large backyard consisting of 3/4 of an acre. Unfortunately I do live a very populated and restrictive state (California).
    For the most part , in my regional area (Riverside County) it is considered illegal to discharge any type of gun whether or not it is technically a firearm or not, within most populated areas …… PERIOD
    Especially restrictive is the mention of within occupied dwellings and residences. Of course there are ways of doing the right thing and going to city hall, petitioning for the required zoning exemptions, obtaining building permits, constructing and passing inspection for a proper personal shooting range built upon your own private property.
    That’s all fine and dandy but how many scofflaws are amoung us who do there own thing and outta site and outta mind? No harm no foul?
    Well remember it is your resonsibility to minimze the many possible instances of harm and repurcussions that might occur from your recreation.
    Personally, I have come to the general conclusion that to be completely honest and completely prudent, PCP airguns are not particularly safe or wise to shoot regularly in most backyard environments within the confines of neighboring properties. I know that i can safely construct a backstop and i can be quiet and stealthy enough as to not disturb others. However, stealthy and quiet …..as in the fact others are unaware of my shooting activity…. Is it not arqueable that one would be most negligent to not post or anounce or make clear any area or range that is hot or active?
    I am just pointing out some overlooked things that often are takin for granted. Maybe extreme, but any range safety officer will tell you that nothing is too extreme when it comes to gun safety. (Not just firearms)
    Regardless that it is my own private backyard, I am within a residential environment were range hazzards arent expected and located within such populace it isnt far fetched to imagine a person whether tresspassing or not to wander to within the perimeter of my residence. A kid cutting a shortcut over my fence, a neigbor chasing a wayward pet, a utility person working on a utilty easement, even a criminal tresspasser.
    Also if for no other reason please be aware that you are representing our hobby and maintain some sense of harm reduction to the way this hobby is percieved to the public at large. WE NEED NO STUPID INCIDENTS OR SOMEONE BEING STUPID TO NEGATIVELY IMPACT OR FURTHER LEGISLATE OUR HOBBY! BE SMART AND BE A GOOD NIEGHBOR. GENERALLY, air rifles capable of of similar power as firearms are never really too backyard friendly. If you do use in your backyard. Build a dedicated area that is isolated or roped off . A capable backstop to place your target is not enough , you must have a sufficiently clear area behind your backstop. Its so easy to beleive that you will never miss that barn size bullet stop but what about the accidental discharge or stray flyer ?
    OK you get my point, do I always practice what I preach? Not exactly but I am aware and grow more prudent especially when I consider the consiquences and my legal liabilty or bottom line!

dougroundup
    Participant

Just thinking again about how my attitude has changed. When i first started, how much my respect and consideration has changed!
    Nobody was going to stop me from shooting in my backyard! Damn now i am even apprehensive shooting my .177 Airforce in my backyard.
    A sobering test I ask myself is, what if I had contact with the police? What if the cop was a prick? Do I have any reasonable or sensible explaination? Above all else AM I WITHIN MY LEGAL RIGHT?
    Do I want to risk confiscation and am I again within my LEGAL RIGHT that I should be able to reclaim my property before the courts?

thebullseye
    Participant

If you get a talon tunes shroud or even and r and l shroud noone will even hear you shooting wht kinda relationship do you have with your neighbors? Is it a safe area to even shoot in your back yard ?

tofazfou
    Participant

Not to get into the WHOLE LEGAL thingy about backyard shooting but i laugh so much at the multitude of post about people shooting airguns in their backyards.

Hmmmmmmm, many, not ALL, have dingy wooden fences with neighbors about 50 yards or less aways. I keep hearing about LIMITED RANGE of pellets! Yeah, some 500-600 yards plus or minus some is NOT LIMITED. The same people that have said my bullet travel too far and that’s why they stick to pellet gun cause they can shoot in the back yard due to a pellets limited range and power. REALLY? With todays springers and pcps and even a benji pump, no backyard is really safe regardless of your backstop. At some point, a pellet will go astray. You won’t be a perfect shot all your life. Besides, its illegal in many state (california especially) to discharge a pellet rifle inside the city and i believe a many a airgun to be too powerful to backyard plink.

dougroundup
    Participant
    quote Tofazfou:

Not to get into the WHOLE LEGAL thingy about backyard shooting but i laugh so much at the multitude of post about people shooting airguns in their backyards.

Hmmmmmmm, many, not ALL, have dingy wooden fences with neighbors about 50 yards or less aways. I keep hearing about LIMITED RANGE of pellets! Yeah, some 500-600 yards plus or minus some is NOT LIMITED. The same people that have said my bullet travel too far and that’s why they stick to pellet gun cause they can shoot in the back yard due to a pellets limited range and power. REALLY? With todays springers and pcps and even a benji pump, no backyard is really safe regardless of your backstop. At some point, a pellet will go astray. You won’t be a perfect shot all your life. Besides, its illegal in many state (california especially) to discharge a pellet rifle inside the city and i believe a many a airgun to be too powerful to backyard plink.

THANK YOU TOFAZFOU!

Some may intially balk or think that the statement about 500-600+ yards is a embellishment or inprobablebility……
    BUT CONSIDER THE SOURCE ,
    CEDRIC (TOFAZFOU) IS FULL ON THE AUTHORITY ON THIS POINT AND ISNT JUST TALKING OUT THE SIDE OF HIS NECK.
    This man has practical experience and can back up what he says. If anyone doubts his claims then maybe they should do a little research because he speaks from real world actual uses and experiences to backup the theory and science.
    Just saying because its easy to dismiss if you didnt know, that this wasnt just a number someone is just throwing out there….
    I know for a fact that he regularly has experienced this!

I really believed I could get away shooting in my backyard.
    YES, I can get away with sbooting in my backyard, BUT
    Can I shoot in my backyard with full immunity and no disregard to safety
    NO!
    AND I am on a rather rural nieghborhood with large lots that average an acre. Just because my air rifle is silent doesnt make it safer . In fact if I have to shoot clandestinely and incognito, that in and of itself makes for a rather unsafe situation where as someone not knowing may stray into your pathway. Especially such the case as when shooting from within an obstruction. Example include a blind, out of a window or within a door frame and behind the corner of a wall or fence! I know that i have shot out my back sliding door from within my dining room of my house !
    So many what ifs and chances for someone to stray into my shooting path. I minimized the risks and only when i was assured that I was alone in the house, i made sure that my side gates were locked and even roped off my back portch.
    However, i have since come to reason that such shooting is not worthy the risk. Too many what ifs… Especially since I have a full on rifle range within a couple of miles where i live , its just no excuse!

One other point also comes to mind and I will quit being such a strict Debbie Downer or Killjoy…
    Just because you own a powerful air rifle capable of some decent destruction doesnt make you automatically Teddy Roosevelt out on Safari with a license to kill every critter you consider to be a pest. It is illegal to kill wildlife in my state without a license or permit under most all circumstances! Varmint Hunting included requires a fur bearers license. Not that I am such a great law abiding do gooder choir boy, I certainly have thing about killing gophers and ground squirrels! Crows are a challenging target to stalk too! However, in my state it is illegal to go killing many nongame species , sparrows and other birds are considered non game species…. This includes CROWS with the exclusion of depradation permits and proper game license.
    poaching is a very serious crime that is aggresively enforced in my state. Any hunting activity here in Cali. requires licensing :butkick: PERIOD!

birdman
    Participant

OK , you have express your point about PCP shooting in your own backyards. All I can say is maybe you should take up slingshot shooting
    in your backyard that way you will be sure to not worry about breaking any laws , but let me remind you that if you are not prudent with
    your ablities to shoot a slingshot properly you may end up with a flyer which may cause some concern with your neighbors.

dougroundup
    Participant

LOL! :rofl: Birdman,
    Funny you should mention slingshots. My giant slingshot launches 1/2 kilo lead balls up to almost 300 meters. DEFINETLY NOT BACKYARD FRIENDLY!
    Thats with the bands doubled up. With the bands single wrapped it will send chicken eggs almost a 900 meters , a small water filled balloon easily 100 meters, golf balls ……. Well three times further than anyone could ever hope to drive one with the additional bounce and richochette!

Ok well I didnt want to be such a prudish worried stressbox.
    I just like to look at all sides of an issue or objectively play the devils advocate. Obviously I have more than made my point. I know or would hope to believe that those of us enthusiasts that get online to share our interests and experiences shooting, building and carrying the sport forward are all smart enough, responsible enough and to behave with enough common sense (is common sense really so common?) to make most of my points posted rather moot. I dont wish to demean or insult anyones intelligence.
    Just remember that we represent the way our sport is percieved by others. We dont need to reflect ourselves in a negative light and open our hobby to restrictive legislation !

By the way I think that my slingshot might actually be legal to discharge in my nieghborhood. If there isnt a law, I am sure if I were to operate it in a inapropriate way someone would be quick to make a law to restrict my possesion and use of such a useless device.
    I am not ultra moral or without fault and even at times lapse judgement. I have shot my slingshot in my neighborhood, I have even taken a shot or two with various firearms in my backyard at one time or another (it was much more rural then…) I on occassion even have pointed my .257 airforce up towards the trees at a wayward crow. (Got a lot of riverbed behind the prado damn in the landing zone)
    Like any of us I believed in or had a false sense of security and was confident in thinking that I minimized risks and am smart enough to not have any accident…. Minimized or not risks do remain both in safety and legally.
    My point is we all get complacent….. But i know we are all smart enough to realize even the most subtle and benign risks. I am beating a dead horse and more than made my points. There is no such thing as too safe, its just how practical a way we each choose to employ it. ENOUGH SAID ALREADY! I will refrain from here on out! :horse: :horse:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.