Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

Airforce Texan: 500+ ft-lbs

Home Forums AirForce Texan Airforce Texan: 500+ ft-lbs

This topic contains 57 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  dfwpi 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
  • Author

maw

Tofaz, I too can’t see the sense in cutting a foot off. Although, I must admit I have a 357, short in the closet right now, 17in. I am dying to get a frame for.

chrisyboy

I think the side lever cocking is simply a fantastic feature and the definately right evolution for Airforce guns. Hopefully they will quickly introduce it in other models? I hope so.

But I feel they have gone way overboard with a 457 making 500 foot pounds. A 50 yard cannon? Most of us down shoot Rhino. For anyone that has seen the Tofazfou videos on youtube will know you can get staggering range and knock down punch froa 257 making around 200 foot pounds. For those that haven’t watched his videos I highly recommend.

dyotat100

I have said this so many times I’m tired of typing it. When you down size the caliber you loose lots of power. It’s all about surface pressure and .45 is almost most twice the size of a .257.

If you down size to .257 it would be like dropping it in to a stock condor.

The only reason this gun makes the power it does is because it has a 34″ barrel and is .45 caliber.

Perfect example is my .257 and .308. They both run on they same valve basically except for top hat size and bore. .257 makes just over 205 fpe on 3000 psi with 94 gr and .308 is around 250 fpe on 3000 psi with 112 gr.

chrisyboy

Fair point Dyotat100, I’m on a steep learning curve!

dyotat100

They posted a video over on the GTA from AG Depot.

Well looks like they pulled the video of the chrony numbers.

Doesn’t matter I saw it and wrote down the numbers. Pretty sad 

914 fps with 143 gr  265 fpe
    831 fps with 200 gr  306 fpe
    807 fps with 180 gr  180 fpe
    714 fps with 343 gr  388 foe

5 shot strings and most were 100 fps lower on the 5th shot.

Wonder if this is production gun? Love how they hype up the gun and then the numbers don’t match the hype. 

dyotat100

Now saying they pulled video because some of the bullets were .454.

Then also replied again saying it was only 2500 psi fills. BS

airgundepot

Well, sent the Texan that I had for testing off to Eric and Chad with Iraqveteran8888 on youtube and they have been doing lots of chrony testing and ballistics testing as well as some work with a few different bullet designs. We should have a full video up from them in the next few days. In the mean time I put together a little bit of a preview of some of the chrony data and a few photos from the video shoot. If you head over to the AirForce Texan Guide and click on the box that says Iraqveteran8888 Preview Review there are some data tables showing the shot strings. They are pretty spot on to what AirForce stated the gun was capable of with the correct ammo. The rifle they used for these test was the exact rifle I used for the tests that where annotated above, I just boxed it up and sent it off. Really wish I had more time to play with it. Im really excited for you all to see the ballistics gel tests, I got to see a preview yesterday and they where very impressive.

~Cameron
    AGD Marketing

sergeynet

Вечером изучал материалы сети, неожиданно к своему восторгу заметил прекрасный веб-сайт. Вот посмотрите: выкуп кредитных автомобилей . Для моих близких вышеуказанный сайт оказался весьма привлекательным. Пока!

sirjeigo

Thr airforce Texan has changed my perception of bigbore airguns to a whole new level. I just ordered a heavier spring to shoot at 3500psi and am eager to see how my 405 grain bullets fly at 500 yards 🙂 I connect a remote line to my carbon fiber tanks and get hundreds of consistent high powered shots now. It’s a great airgun for the price. I still dream of shooting a 20mm airgun using 1000 grain slugs.

dyotat100

They fly like a rainbow.

roachcreek

I will probably buy one, either 457 to shoot 255’s, Mr HP got 917 FPS, and with a shroud that means a 45 LC with a can. But what I am really interested in is what the 357 does with the 145 grain Nosler.

The 257 Haley I used to make what is still the longest shot from a AG was shootng far beyond what the power plant and bullet stability could practically deliver at 615 yards.

We need a better power plant, the side cocking lever and th inline vavle, combined witj the full diameter spring is a step in that direction.

sirjeigo

I am a fan of the Texan and .457 airguns that literally make things explode. The energy of the 480 grain bullets I cast just destroy all things it hits even at 500 yards. The wind doesn’t buckle these bullet’s at all and the sound and recoil is epic.

roachcreek

Just curious, what velocity is that 480 grain slug going and what scope do you use to get the adjustment need to reach that far?

My ex Ranger 45 serial @12 had a 28 inch barrel and a fill pressure of 4500, although 3800 or so was the sweet spot with the small diameter spring XP uses. It made 500 FPEa couple times, but struggled to that with 408 grain bullets. It was throwing the all weights at just about the same speed that the Texan shoots. The guys wih the longer barreled Rangers made a lot more FPE.

The TAG sure is lucky to have a long range shooter such as yourself to take up the slack when Cedric and Dy otat are busy shooting.

sirjeigo
    quote roachcreek:

Just curious, what velocity is that 480 grain slug going and what scope do you use to get the adjustment need to reach that far?

My ex Ranger 45 serial @12 had a 28 inch barrel and a fill pressure of 4500, although 3800 or so was the sweet spot with the small diameter spring XP uses. It made 500 FPEa couple times, but struggled to that with 408 grain bullets. It was throwing the all weights at just about the same speed that the Texan shoots. The guys wih the longer barreled Rangers made a lot more FPE.

The TAG sure is lucky to have a long range shooter such as yourself to take up the slack when Cedric and Dy otat are busy shooting.

I will crony test it sometime but a 405 – 480 grain bullet makes a much louder sound and uses 300 psi of air each shot. I am awaiting a heavier spring to shoot at 3500psi rather than 3000. I love the Texan valve and hope it can be used for bigger calibers oneday.

Right now I a using a Bushnell legend 5×15 scope. I use the bottom mildot to shoot 300 yards with these big bullets. It’s nice to see the ground explode when it goes 500 yards away. I am surprised how much of a recoil is created using these bullet’s vs 220-300 grain bullets. It’s hard to shoot small bore pcps after this beast.

roachcreek

Well shooting a new airgun without a chrony is ike virgin sex with a homely girl, after you get a chrony you see the real beauties you have been missing.

I suspect you going to find that your in the 740 FPS range at tops, judging by the true numbers I see from others and knowing what the Ranger did. With a 100 yard zeo you have slightly over 700 inches of drop. That is a stretch with the Bushnell scope you have. I have had two or three of that model in the past on airguns, and it is a damn good scope to around 150 yards, then old lady gravity cobined with the lack of adjustment will take the thrill off of trying to hit anything at 500 yards.

Now to reach 615 yards with the Haley 25, I used a Leupold VX3 Long Range with the Hollands MOA reticle. It had 107 inches of adjustment if I remember right, but that only got me to 500 yards with a much flatter shooter than what your Texan and 480 grainers can hope to fly. I ended up using the Burris Signature rings and still shimming them so much that I had a zero at 191 yards, at the bottom of the adjustent and dropped 610 inches at 615 yards. I could see half of my 36 inch barrel in the scope, it tilted that much.

The backstop in my video is a old mine tailing that was just outside my fence line, I could go out to 1100 yards and had a benchrest there to do so, but had the ranges marked out from 400 to 1100 yards in 100 yard increments,

I started on that range with 300 mags and M1A Supermatch, Stoner SR25 ect and used the range for over 20 years.

But I really started to lean with computer trajectory weblites like Handloader.com all the while using two Sharps rifles, a 74 Shilo #1 sporting rifle and a custom Borschardt, both n 45/100 and of course naked bullets.

But the thing is your jut evolving as a long range shooter, you got the gun, the casting equipment and you evidently have a place to kick up dust. Your really going to get hooked when you put a steel plate in the middle of all that dust your launching bullets at, shooting and waiting a second or two for a dust cloud or a triumphant ding is about as much fun as you can have wearing clothes.

Thing is no ballistic site will help you until you get the simplist of tools, that chrony. It will enlighten you, then when you plug in the numbers you will see that Dyotat was right about the loopy trajectory.

I never shot the Ranger past 260 yards, I shimed up the scope mounts for the VX3 Leeupold I had on it and sighted it in at the Vineyard where I had a 260 yard range. I could hold minute of elk rib cage, but those bullets wee falling fast at that range.

Important thing to do here on this site is to remember you rubbing shoulders with the pioneers in long range big bore airgun shooting, guys that understand air flow and shooting these guns. Listen to the advice of people like Dyotat and Tofazfu , I call him Cedric. Dyotat will tell you what can be done in different bore sizes with a particular valve and the machinists, like Dyotat and others hear wil tell you what can be done to alter a rifle to different barrels and still be able to use that valve. It is easy for a unknown gunsmith to post pictures of what he thinks he will do, two or three years later when that unknown gunsmith gets around to tackling the project of interchangeable barrels, the results may be far different, the guys with the big post numbers next to their avatars are the ones that you should listen to rather than the ones who tell you what you want to hear.

Sorry if this post is hard to read, I am doing better since they cut the right eye out last fall, but I still only see two letters at once and it makes correcting things a migraine trigger. I still shoot but with a Mrod in 177 and play with a Mrod in 25 with the WAR parts, which is why I am in the market for a Texan or even a hot 357.

The other thing is unless your a Trust Fund Baby, be prepared to spend momey like a Junkie that just won the lottery, this stuff is expensive and truly a real high.

Good luck with you endeavors.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar