Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

Airforce Texan: 500+ ft-lbs

Home Forums AirForce Texan Airforce Texan: 500+ ft-lbs

This topic contains 57 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  dfwpi 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • Author

muggs4u

Found this on pyramid air’s website. What do you guys think? I wonder what the groups look like @ 50 and 100 yards?

Airforce Airguns .45 Caliber Texan, “It’s a BEAST”: SHOT Show 2015: http://youtu.be/5VnnTRkQH9w

Airforce Texan air riflePrecharged pneumaticSingle-shotSidelever11mm dovetail34″ barrel2-stage trigger (adj. for position only)2.06-lb. trigger-pullAutomatic safetyTextured grip490cc tankPressure-relief device3000 psi (200 bar) max fill pressureAdjustable powerExtended optics rail7.65 lbs. (without scope & mount)No baffles/is not silenced13.875″ to 15″ length of pullButtplate can be rotated right and left for some cast-on and cast-off adjustabilityIncludes 4×32 scope and mount (unmounted)Made in USA
    AirForce Airguns recommends using only lead projectiles.

The AirForce Texan is the world’s most powerful production air rifle: .45-caliber bullets going up to 1,000 fps and getting 500+ ft-lbs.

thehunter

It’s going to be my next gun.

muggs4u

Is it just me our is 500+ ft-lbs not a big deal for an airgun? 🙄

on-the-edge

It is just you.

Production air rifles, those massed produced by companies with more than one employee that is, have just recently been exploring 100+ FPE. This is a big jump. Most off the shelf big bore air rifles do good to sling big chunks of lead downrange at more than 500 FPS. Also, their accuracy has been horrible.

My source says not only does this air rifle have the power they claim, but has the accuracy to use it. This air rifle is going to force the other companies to step up if they want to compete in the big bore market. You will also be able to change calibers, making this a versatile hunting and long range shooting platform.

I have no idea how I am going to scrape together enough change to get one of these things, but I am.

thehunter

Anybody see the evanix big bore? They copied airforces tank as the stock idea. It is also shrouded. Comes anywhere from .177-.50. Don’t know how I feel about it. 🙄

quote muggs4u:

Found this on pyramid air’s website. What do you guys think? I wonder what the groups look like @ 50 and 100 yards?

Airforce Airguns .45 Caliber Texan, “It’s a BEAST”: SHOT Show 2015: http://youtu.be/5VnnTRkQH9w

Airforce Texan air riflePrecharged pneumaticSingle-shotSidelever11mm dovetail34″ barrel2-stage trigger (adj. for position only)2.06-lb. trigger-pullAutomatic safetyTextured grip490cc tankPressure-relief device3000 psi (200 bar) max fill pressureAdjustable powerExtended optics rail7.65 lbs. (without scope & mount)No baffles/is not silenced13.875″ to 15″ length of pullButtplate can be rotated right and left for some cast-on and cast-off adjustabilityIncludes 4×32 scope and mount (unmounted)Made in USA
    AirForce Airguns recommends using only lead projectiles.

The AirForce Texan is the world’s most powerful production air rifle: .45-caliber bullets going up to 1,000 fps and getting 500+ ft-lbs.

Well, it’s not the most powerful production since AOA has a .45 that is 600 FPE

quote ON_THE_EDGE:

It is just you.

Production air rifles, those massed produced by companies with more than one employee that is, have just recently been exploring 100+ FPE. This is a big jump. Most off the shelf big bore air rifles do good to sling big chunks of lead downrange at more than 500 FPS. Also, their accuracy has been horrible.

My source says not only does this air rifle have the power they claim, but has the accuracy to use it. This air rifle is going to force the other companies to step up if they want to compete in the big bore market. You will also be able to change calibers, making this a versatile hunting and long range shooting platform.

I have no idea how I am going to scrape together enough change to get one of these things, but I am.

Several Big Bore Production rifles have been in the 200 + Fpe range for sometimes, those rifles are easily tuned in the 300-400 FPE range, those rifles have 20+ inch barrels,
    the Texan is getting that power from a 34″ barrel and the Hollywood FPE is acieved with super heavy bullets at slow velocity, once you use a buulet weight to give decent velocity the FPE lowers in the 300 range.

So, in the end if you put a 34″ barrel on those other Production Big Bores they would be capable of the same performance.

dman1114

manny….

about time someone says it.

so they stick a massive barrel on it and claim big numbers at low velocities.. they must of hired ELDY to help design. if they came with a 24 ” barrel sporting numbers in the 1K maybe high 9s then wed be talking .

hopefully this is gonna be a better platform for the .257 or 308…..

muggs4u

Thanks Nomadic for breaking things down. looking forward to seeing how the Texan stack up against the other big bores in the accuracy category 😈 . Time will tell :whistle:

knifemaker

At any rate, at least the price isn’t as bad as most. And may very well be a good starting point for further mod’s. 😉

Knife

Price is not bad,
    I would cut the barrel 10″ and shoot the EPP/UG out of it

hoot
    Participant

I’ll bet it’s a loud Bitch!!!

A .45 acp, leaving the barrel at 900+ feet per second, has a trajectory like a rainbow…25 to 50 yards is it’s maximum “usable” range. That big of a slug, with the aerodynamics of a bathtub, is not going to fly flat for very long, and it’s going to slow down fast. I would think of this gun as a 75 to 100 yard gun, max. I recall one of the videos indicating the holdover for a 70+ yard target was four mil-dots on his scope. Without a laser, a long range, estimated mil-dot shot is very difficult.

That 500 fpe muzzle velocity is also going to rapidly drop, along with the velocity of that big fat slug. It’s ballistic co-efficient has got to be in there with shotgun slugs of a similar weight. If it had a Sierra Boat Tail, elongated slug, and pointed tip, performance would be definitely enhanced. However, in a .45 caliber, that design would add a LOT of weight to the slug to get that shape. Muzzle velocity would have to be up in the 1500 fps+ to 2100 fps range to make it effective. A powder burner can provide that kind of velocity, a factory pcp isn’t going to make the cut.

I honestly believe at 100 meters it will show some serious limitations in performance and accuracy.

The .357 Benjamin Bulldog slug is smaller, has a nicely shaped Nosler designed poly-tip slug, and it’s “effective” range is estimated to be 90 yards max, and that’s with a big mil-dot holdover to hit the target. It’s fpe is much lower, but I’ll bet it is more accurate/usable at longer range than the .45 AR offering.

Perhaps I’m wrong. I hope I am. A 100 yard, single shot, tack hammer, in caliber .45 would be the bong!!! Future testing results will show the facts. I personally won’t get my hopes up too high.

Hoot:

on-the-edge

I have been hearing that it is really accurate. In the coming days we will see just how accurate at what ranges. I too am hoping for 100 yards.

Another thing is we will be able to drop .357, .308 and .257 barrels into it. A 100 grain .257 slug might not put out 500 FPE, but I bet it will travel pretty far pretty fast. 😉

on-the-edge

I am also looking forward to more about the AoA big bore. Jim Chapman bought the one that AoA had at the SHO Show, so we will be hearing about it pretty soon.

thehunter

If you could drop a .308 or a .257 barrel in the platform, what do you guys think the max range would be? I’m hoping out to 150?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar