Q:

Advice on getting a shotgun?

Hey guys, over thanksgiving I was visiting some family in Kentucky and we went to some property to shoot some easy skeet. This really interested me in the sport and now I want to get a shotgun.

I’d be willing to get either 12 or 20 gauge. I’m not going to be doing much hunting, just skeet shooting at a local range. I’ve been looking at the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500, but I don’t know which one has more pros than cons. Is have a choke really important? The mossberg doesn’t have one from what I’ve read.

Any advice?

Other Guns

All Replies

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

1 2

And at 60-years young, I’m still eager to learn at every opportunity.

That is what makes TAG a shining star for people like us; our many experiences and perspectives that we can share with those who ask.

Mossies are great shotguns, but the steel in some of the parts is softer than in higher-end guns such as 870’s which bear-up better to high-round usage. They are dependable & are used by both the military & LE, however, these folks have replacement programs whereas the average homeowner does not. I own several Mossies . . . 2 of which are home defense and bear insurance tools, but I don’t cycle a lot of rounds thru them (and I’ve replaced the extractors in one of them, but after quite a few years of use & bouncing around in a saddle scabbard). They are a great gun for the money . . . absolutely no argument there. The decision comes down to the buyer & what he or she is looking for & comfortable with. My intent was solely to offer my perspective.

The Mossberg 590 is a Marine Corp issue shotgun. It is also the shotgun of choice for the Burbank, CA police dept.. They are not frail; they take a lickin’ and keep on tickin’. The Mossberg 500 series is the only shotgun that I know of that has two extractors to garantee positive extraction even if one fails. When equiped with their ghost ring sights, they are great defensive shotguns. Some people choose to get them with a Davis speed feed stock and a pistol grip that makes them even more controlable. They are excellent shotguns for their intended purpose. But don’t take my word for it, check it out for yourself.

quote :

I’ve got reason to believe, that even at 20 feet, bird shot from a standard load will have the density to penetrate sheetrock walls. Now, if you using a saw’d-off or a spreader choke … probably not more than 1 wall (two layers of rock).

Depends on distance, circumstances, and constraints. I live alone, so collateral damage isn’t a concern. My focus is: STOP to dirt-bag . . . #1 Buck (hard to find, unless you reload . . . which I do) has been proven to be the most effective as a “stopper” with minimal wall-shoot-thru penetration. One must pick the tools that suit their needs. I personally would never consider birdshot (unless the threat was that of being attacked by . . . birds.). God forbid anyyone should face a home invasion, but if you don’t stop the scum, all in the house could be harmed (my first choice & constant companion is a proven 1911 .45ACP stoked with 230-grain Speer Gold Dot hollow points . . . the shottie is an accessory).

Depends on your primary purpose . . . I prefer a 20 for upland hunting & “occasionally” breaking the clay bird. For home defense/bear insurance, I prefer a short-barreled 12. Something with a 26″ barrel might suit both needs (and re: home defense, beats the hell out of bare hands/nothing), tho a longer barrel is better for flying targets. If you are planning to cycle a lot of rounds thru the gun, I’d shy away from Mossberg . . . great guns and reliable for routine hunting a couple months out of the year, but not built for high-use applications over an extended time.

Benelli (=$$$$) used to make a shot gun that you could use as a pump or auto. Can’t remember the model. I know this, if you plan to do a lot (100 or more rounds a day) of shooting you will definately find the auto more enjoyable. As to home defense, i’d say a 3” or 3 1/2” loaded with as small(read #9 off the shelf or #10-12 if you’ll load your own) a shot as you can get your hands on IF over penetration is a concern. If over penetration is NOT a concern .000 buck shot!

you can use shells for basically anything to the size of doves too, in the 870 too right? i don’t know alot about shotguns but i might be getting one soon. Is there a better beginners gun ?

I’ve been looking around my area to find shooting clubs and I’ve found a couple within around an hour from me. Is 1 hour and 10 minutes too far to drive for a gun club?

I also found that what I’d like to do more is Trap, rather than skeet. For this a pump should do just fine, right? I’m making some trips to local stores this weekend. From what I’ve read I think the Remington 870 Wingmaster is a perfect match for what I what to do with shotguns. What do you guys think or know about it?

BTW thanks for all the great responses this is really helping me out. I would have gone for triple-ought buck 😯 but I’ll stick to birdshot now.

http://www.theboxotruth.com has done a lot of testing of various, rounds and loads on various objects and is an interesting read to give a general idea of what will penetrate what.

If your intention is to shoot for fun any semi auto with cylinder choke will do. This arrangement coul also serve as home defense gun. Ammunibtion for home defense should be evaluated carefully and take into consideration the layout and construction of your. My preference for semi-auto would be a Benelli. If you’re serious about skeet shooting I would recommend a 12g over/under with 28 or 30 inch barrel with removable chokes or fixed skeet chokes. In this case fit is more important than make/model. Over/under guns will obviously cost more than a semi-auto and will probably start at about $1500… there are always good deals available a skeet range… range rats are always lookin to upgrade.

😆 😆

Sorry Gents; I live in SOCAL and I’m a rare animal. But here things can warp your view of things. My error and my appologies.

Yes, my home is protected. Would I pull a shot with buck on a perp due to what was behind…no. Dead Man. Would I wait until the perp was even with a door frame….NO. DEAD MAN. I’d blow the bastard trough a window and hope the splater didn’t give the dog any reason to lick the blood off the grass. No, the dog deserves better.

Buckshot will give better hang time to a perp and surer kill.

Thanks for re-centering my liberal ass. I needed it! AKULA

quote The Machinist:

quote airtight_python:

I’ve got reason to believe, that even at 20 feet, bird shot from a standard load will have the density to penetrate sheetrock walls. Now, if you using a saw’d-off or a spreader choke … probably not more than 1 wall (two layers of rock).

I have never actually shot a piece of sheetrock..probably the only thing I havent shot.. 😆 .. Years ago..like 1985 I had a home defense magazine that was specifically about shotguns..they did shoot several test walls using everything from 9’s to buckshot..the final word was to use bird shot it was the safest indoor shell there was.. 😉

I agree, other than possibly some home loaded poppy seeds or something to that extent. 😉 Rock salt would really burn like hell once in the skin and disolving.

quote airtight_python:

I have never actually shot a piece of sheetrock..probably the only thing I havent shot.. 😆 .. Years ago..like 1985 I had a home defense magazine that was specifically about shotguns..they did shoot several test walls using everything from 9’s to buckshot..the final word was to use bird shot it was the safest indoor shell there was.. 😉

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

1 2
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.