Q:

A few CCW questions for you all.

Just wondering how you guys choose to go about your CCW carry duties:

1 – Where do you choose to carry? Hip, shoulder, cross draw, etc.

2 – Do you carry a backup?

3 – What caliber do you choose to use?

Other Guns

All Replies

Viewing 12 replies - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

1 2

Riverside – the main thing that concerns me about carrying is the possibility of getting an overzealous DA or the scumbag’s family trying to fleece me for $. It is a great responsibility carry a pistol and one that I would not take lightly, but the potential legal fallout, even for a justified shooting, scares me much more than the mental side of things.

When Shall Issue CCW came up here in Minnesota a number of years back I opposed it, frankly I still do which bugs the hell out of near all who know me well as I am not far off from an anarchist politically speaking.

Here was my concern and over time it’s been proven out in this State time and time again…
Shall Issue means if you don’t have a Felony Conviction you get the CCW endorsement
yeah that sounds real good until you consider just how many people are out there that while not Felonized very few of us want packing a piece in public
for example back home I know a good dozen people that are major Meth heads that have CCW, well several eventually were busted on Drug convictions but only one copped to a felony
also know people with CCW that committed some nasty crimes in their younger years…talking bad assaults, rapes, ect that the law was never able to convict them on that have CCW as well
The old system was at the descretion of the Sherrif and in most areas that meant no one other than local politicians and retired LE received endorsement which was a bad deal but I honestly do not see the current law as a great improvement either

Here we have had a flood of new CCW, major reason is the permit allows one to bypass Brady…not many regularly carry as it is a pain in the ass based on the years I did
never saw any sense in some Pea Shooter…
When I carried it was either a Colt Gold Cup .45 or a 4″ M29 Smith .44
thing is Tron, anything effective usually is weighty enough to throw your balance slightly off kilter and by the end of the day can get tiring
Counter balanced shoulder rigs, {gun on one side, dual mag pouches on the other} help a great deal but tend to get sweaty in warmer weather.

one last thing I will add is you should never clear leather unless you intend to shoot and further, when you shoot, you best intend to kill
If your heads not straight with that get a whistle or pepper spray because as sure as the sun rises, if your heart is not where it needs to be you very well may end up in the dirt instead of the other guy.

just sayin’

quote TeflonTron:

quote stower1:

I agree, as constitutionally, we all have the right to carry in this nation. Another interesting question to me would be the incidence of violent crime between right to carry states, such as Montana, and non rtc states, such as california and washington DC. I believe the answer could be eye opening for a lot of people. The population is signifigantly smaller, but even adjusting for that, the percentage per populous is probably exponentially higher. Is it gun ownership, population density, morality, there are many factors, but people hesitate to rob, rape, or murder people that odds say carry a gun.

If you apply for a CCW permit in CT (you have to have one to even own a pistol, period) you are meant to receive an answer within a couple of months at maximum, and if you do not have a felony conviction then they are not allowed to deny you. However, the actual application of that in practice is BS as how long it takes you to be granted the permit depends entirely on which town you live. If you live in a small town you will be granted the permit in a few weeks, yet I have heard about people in New Haven (where I live), Hartford and Bridgeport who have been given the runaround for 5-6 months. It boils my blood and the real reason is that the people in power in those cities simply want guns off of the streets, even those owned by people who own them legally.

In Oregon, it takes a pistol safety class that fills up quickly and you have too preregister for months ahead of time, then a lengthly application including a rediculous amount of background info and even character references, then you wait for 10 to 12 weeks to see if they deem you sufficient to carry. It is a rediculous process, but i feel lucky i can at least get one in this state. IIRC, it was a few hundred bucks to make it happen also, i even got charged for them to fingerprint me for the first time in my life since i was born. I asked if criminals are charged for them to perform this service, she said no. 🙄 I guess in todays day and age, we are expected to pay for our constitutional rights, nothing is free. 👿

One thing that did scare me through this process, was some of the people that took that class, which included classroom and time at the range in live fire practice. Some people should not be allowed to own a gun without lengthly instruction. There are obviously people out there that have no business carrying a gun. My instructor reminded me of a nervous high school shop teacher. As soon as some of those idiots chambered a round, he got real nervous. Everyone of the thirty plus people in the class passed, and no doubt carry a gun today. 🙄

Tryed them all and own most but always come back to Keltec in pocket holster. I have carried it so much I forget it is there. I go for months and never look at it except to clean but I know it is ready to go if needed.

snub nose, leather pancake holster tight to the hip. I am large so you cannot tell with just a shirt over it. (blends with the hip roll of fat)
I carried daily for years and never had an incident. I carreied mainly in PA where you apply and get the permit within a couple weeks if no felony history. Same rules as alot of other places if someone freaks with a glimps of your gun they will take your permit. open carry is for hunting in PA. that is an easy permit to get even for none residents. Hunting license and $5 and you get that permit. Better not be walking in town with that gun out on that permit. lol
When I retired I moved to NJ and I cannot even get a permit here!

quote stower1:

I agree, as constitutionally, we all have the right to carry in this nation. Another interesting question to me would be the incidence of violent crime between right to carry states, such as Montana, and non rtc states, such as california and washington DC. I believe the answer could be eye opening for a lot of people. The population is signifigantly smaller, but even adjusting for that, the percentage per populous is probably exponentially higher. Is it gun ownership, population density, morality, there are many factors, but people hesitate to rob, rape, or murder people that odds say carry a gun.

If you apply for a CCW permit in CT (you have to have one to even own a pistol, period) you are meant to receive an answer within a couple of months at maximum, and if you do not have a felony conviction then they are not allowed to deny you. However, the actual application of that in practice is BS as how long it takes you to be granted the permit depends entirely on which town you live. If you live in a small town you will be granted the permit in a few weeks, yet I have heard about people in New Haven (where I live), Hartford and Bridgeport who have been given the runaround for 5-6 months. It boils my blood and the real reason is that the people in power in those cities simply want guns off of the streets, even those owned by people who own them legally.

quote stower1:

I atually hold my CCW in Oregon, where you never see open carry. When i moved to Montana last year, the first time i entered the local bank, in front of me was a cowboy with colts in drop leg holsters on each side! I was shocked. I have since become accustomed to seeing alot of open carry, it is a daily occurence here. They just don’t bother hiding it here, and you can bet a high percentage of the population carries on a regular basis. If i walked around when i get back to Oregon with a gun on my hip, people would call the swat team and i would make the news for sure. Different worlds.

Yeah, CT is just a “carry” State and open carry is perfectly legal. However, if you walked down the street in New Haven, where I live, with a pistol on your leg you’d be stopped by a dozen police with pistols drawn, no doubt. It’d be an interesting legal case if nothing else.

I atually hold my CCW in Oregon, where you never see open carry. When i moved to Montana last year, the first time i entered the local bank, in front of me was a cowboy with colts in drop leg holsters on each side! I was shocked. I have since become accustomed to seeing alot of open carry, it is a daily occurence here. They just don’t bother hiding it here, and you can bet a high percentage of the population carries on a regular basis. If i walked around when i get back to Oregon with a gun on my hip, people would call the swat team and i would make the news for sure. Different worlds.

Hey Stower.

I just find it to be interesting, is all. Laws vary State by State, but in CT where I am open carry is legal, though ill advised. With concealed carry you can be prosecuted if your jacket flaps open and someone sees you are carrying and gets spooked, but if you have the pistol buried so that no-one will ever see it it isn’t much good! In the movies they always seem to carry on a shoulder rig, but it seems to me, personal preferences aside, that a cross draw from the weak side would be the quickest method.

I guess I just find it fascinating that there are so many solutions to what is basically a very simple problem – where to carry a gun so that it doesn’t fall out and can be gotten to quickly.

I carry a 357 mag taurus titanium frame revolver, seven shots so i have six backups. 😆 I don’t carry in my kids schools, court houses, or any federal building that is illegal, and of course on the rare occasion i go to a bar, as that is also illegal where alchohol is served. I use a Ross small of the back highrider concealed carry holster mostly, but at times i use an underarm crossdraw, although rarely. I have been ogling over the new Kimber SOLO, it is very small, carries seven 9mm rounds, and is a little piece of pocket jewelry, will fit in a pocket easily and is smaller than most 380 autos. What’s the topic? If i remember correctly you are not a gun owner, would you be considering, or questioning? Just wondering.

I carry a 1911 .45 with 4″ barrel, sometimes in a bellyband holster and sometimes an IWB leather holster. I also have an NAA .22 Mag in a pocket holster as backup.

I’m considering one of the Smartcarry holsters for summer wear with shorts in warmer weather.

Viewing 12 replies - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

1 2
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.