Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

A 257 Cast Bullet Reference Guide

Home Forums Other Guns Other Guns A 257 Cast Bullet Reference Guide

This topic contains 363 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  tnt76 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 364 total)
  • Author

knifemaker

UH-HU! And when he does, you gonna make me a deal on that 80 Gr NOE??? Right___ πŸ˜€

Knife

tofazfou

Thanx Adam and everyone else who reads this page.

BTW! Its still growing and changing. lots of needed info to still add to this page. Including RC’s new WORLD RECORD 😎

knifemaker

I went stupid yesterday, and milled the gas check area off of my 257420 mold. 😯

In fact, I removed just a bit of the last driving band as well.

Results, well, my spring that Doug sent with the bbl. had lost a bit of its mojo, and the velocity had dropped from 930’s to 903-4 fps on the first shot. The new (Custom πŸ˜† ) 240 droped the weight from the 20-1 as cast at 72.2 to 53.6 gr. and the velocity settled in at 1009 first shot.

Yep, I lost a bit of BC, but the velocity is actually showing a bit less drop. So On to testing.

First 5 shots sucked. 😳 So I ran a bronze brush thru in and an fp-10 soaked patch thru it, and a few dry patches and it got worse. πŸ˜†

Well, after 5 or shots it started comming around. Filled to 3200 psi and it put the first two through the same hole widened horizontally. The next two also printed side by side, even tighter, but about 1/2″ to the left. (Wind was blowing like hell.) (These were at 80 yards.) I then re-filled to see what a shot string would do and 10 bullets printed a group just over 1″, with the last shot droping about 3/4″

This was better than with the heavier bullets, as 5 shots was really stretching it at 80 yards with my small tank. The lighter bullet seem to have stretched the shot string out a good bit. Almost doubleing the shot count.

The down side, is that the lighter bullet is a little more effected by the wind.

Cant wait to see what OldGoat comes up with this weekend, as he is doing the same to both the 257420 as well as the 80 gr NOE. Should be interesting! πŸ˜€

KnifeMaker

maw

Wow!! 53 grainers now.

knifemaker

[

Looks like this 54 grainer might just be a winner!

mischief
    quote knifemaker:

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner.YOUR-4F1261A8E5\My Documents\My Pictures\2013-08-19\DSC01939.JPG

Sweet!!

knifemaker

It was my fear that I may have gone a bit too far in the milling of this mold. I wanted to only remove the gas check area, but went a little too far. 😳 I was shooting for a 60 grain bullet and ended up with a 54 grain. πŸ˜† (Getting old and BLIND sucks!) πŸ‘Ώ

But in the end, it got me to the 1000 fps I was looking for for a good flat trajectory. But would it be accurate. Well, YES-Yes it is!!! πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜€

This bullet barrel combo is very touchy as to what lub you give her. But get it right, and she really preforms! 😈

These are cast from 20-1 lead tin in the moded 257420 mold. The tin seems to help get a well filled out bullet, with a more consistant weight.

Seems this ended up being a happy oop’s! πŸ˜† I love it when a plan gets F’ed up and still comes together! :8:

KnifeMaker

roachcreek

That just may end up being the perfect bullet for cast bullet Condors with Dyotat valves.

Well done Tedd and Mike.

knifemaker

Thanks RC! Waiting to see what Tedd came up with. The shortned NOE 80 grainer should be really ingeresting. πŸ˜€ I think Tedd said it came in at 67 Grains. Now with a hollow point mod, it would be = 😈 And I do believe that is exactly Tedd’s plan. :8:

We may not be a Big Forum here, but we do have some cutting edge stuff!

KnifeMaker/Cuttind edge. πŸ˜† Sometimes I crack myself up. πŸ™„ πŸ˜†

KnifeMaker

oldgoat

Thanks Charlie!

I seem to be full of ideas that don’t pan out, like trying to get Β½ MOA out of an airgun, swaging instead of casting, trying to order a mold to my specifications from LBT, trying to make the Boss shoot 50 grain cast bullets at 950 fps: the list goes on and on; I don’t want to take up anymore time crying about it!

I have found out that the only way to come up with something that works is to try it and see.

I knew that the 257420 shot very well in TJ barrels but, at 72 grains, it was way too heavy for what I wanted to do. I thought that I could order one and flycut the gas check off of it and see what it weighed. I did the same to a NOE 80 grain mold. On the NOE, I initially stopped at the last driving band. The molded bullets looked good but, they miked at .261. When I sized them down to .2575, they had some of the last driving band smeared behind the base of the bullet. I had to scoot them across a piece of sandpaper to remove the β€œtail”.

I didn’t like doing that so: I put the NOE mold back in the mill and flycut the last driving band off. The dropped NOE bullets look much better after being resized to .2575.

Here is a pic of my cut down 257420 Lyman, the 2nd cut on the NOE and the first cut on the NOE. In pure lead, the Lyman weighs 56 grains, the second cut NOE 62 and the first cut 67. Looking at the 62 grain NOE bullet, I think that I can cut the “gas check” off of it and get it down to around 57 grains. I will have to give that a try. I haven’t been able to find 50 something grain .257 molds so, I am trying to modify something to fit my needs.

Sorry for the crappy picture. I fucked around with Photobucket for 45 mins and this was the best that I could come up with. Way too tired and under the influence to mess with it any more.

I plan on sending the 3 molds out to Hollowpoinpmolds and have them worked on. I want one of the Lyman 2 cavity molds to have a HUGE hollow point, the other one will have a slightly larger than normal HP. The NOE is a 4 cavity and I want 2 of the cavities to be HUGE the other 2 to be slightly larger than normal. I still have my RCE swaging stuff and I want to see if I can use it to close up the large HPs a little after they drop out of the mold. I would like to get some use out of the swaging stuff!

Before I send the molds out, I need to cast up a bunch more bullets. I sent almost all of my entire cast up stock to Grit and Knife and: if I ever get a chance to go shooting, I am really short on bullets. It’s all good; Mike and Joe will probably find the time to test them before I do.

Stay tuned!

Ced: sorry for posting a lot of useless info here, I know that you want to have just useful .257″ info here but: I tend to do that! 😳

knifemaker

OH, It’s plenty usefull! πŸ˜€ Man I like the looks of that NOE. I f’d up and cut more of the bottom driving band off on the 240 than I wanted. πŸ™„ At least it’s working!

Can’t wait to try these out! :8:

Knife

maw

It’s glorious Michael, I like your bullet!!

knifemaker

Thanks MAW!
    I think I will fire lap the bbl again tomorrow. It’s still a little rough.

I polished the inside of the sizer die tonight. It was just a but too tight. Making the bullets a bit undersized for what I wanted. May do it a bit more later. But the groups became more consistient. Now if I can jsut learn to cast a decent bullet! πŸ˜† 😳

KnifeMaker

80-grit

If they land today, I will test some out tonight at 40 yards to see how they do. I will save a bunch for when I reach out. Sorry Cedric, if I am “going back and forth”. Perhaps there should be a .257 page that is “locked” and only you or one of the administrators can add stuff to it???

They arrived. Holy cow, Tedd sent me over 500 bullets 😯 That is righteousness defined bruthas! Never had a second to try today but my plan is after I get back from my vending spot at the gun show this weekend, chrony and accuracy test on Tuesday @ 40 yards. Then nine days later (thursday) get out to 100 yards (maybe 200 if the bullets don’t drop too much as I have to shoot through a culvert pipe at the range I go to on the 200 yard bench). But at least I’ll discover which bullet performs best at 100 and post my findings. Thanks again Tedd, you sir are the man! 😎

mischief

Should have an admin take the “non relevant” posts and start a 257 only thread.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 364 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar