Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

A 257 Cast Bullet Reference Guide

Home Forums Other Guns Other Guns A 257 Cast Bullet Reference Guide

This topic contains 363 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  tnt76 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 361 through 364 (of 364 total)
  • Author

rifle50

IMO you are going about it completely BACKWARDS……FIND THE SPEED in FPS that is the MOST ACCURATE, then TUNE for your CURVE around those parameters……Like almost every airgunner on these forums that I read about, concerned only with, HOW FAST CAN IT GO……Well if you can’t HIT what aiming at, speed means NOTHING.

Speed is FINE with accuracy…..I shoot with my newest barrel the 257420 at 3100 PSI at 1100 fps and most around 1090 fps. and it is ACCURATE. With my old crap TJ barrels, i tried 4000 psi once and have 4500 psi available if wanted, and shot 1300 fps and at 100 yds. As PSI and speed went up, groups got bigger and bigger….Grapefruit sized.

Why do you seem to want to RE-INVENT THE WHEEL? You start a new thread here and GTA for the same thing posted or titled before, instead of ADDING TO IT? If you searched thourouhly, and just THIS ENTIRE THREAD is HOW I LEARNED over a year ago, it is all in here. ALL including casting is posted in this page, and what you are doing, has been done and is NORMAL……You shoot with DOUG and why not take his ADVICE, install necessary equipment and just go shoot it…If you are as I UNDERSTAND IT using the STOCK CONDOR HAMMER? For 3600 psi is NOT ENOUGH HAMMER and needs at least the 95 gr and I USE 120 gram……You are not getting best use of your airtank.

KNIFE who is on here uses a 24″ barrel….Take his and DOUGS advice as THEY DO IT and then just go DO IT instead of thinking you are doing something NEW…..To you it may be but you are wasting time trying to figure it out…

You must be the person Doug wanted a CATALINA BOTTLE FOR?? He asked if I wanted to sell it as I haven’t used it in a year and I said since hard to get now, I will just keep it…..I got a curve with it of 10 shots and about 3200 psi as can’t remember now. With a 27″ barrel.That is the secret a LARGER VOLUME CAPACITY……. THEN a curve is very easy….I only shoot off bench and tethered so curve means nothing to me.

Carl

wll2506
    quote rifle50:

IMO you are going about it completely BACKWARDS……FIND THE SPEED in FPS that is the MOST ACCURATE, then TUNE for your CURVE around those parameters……Like almost every airgunner on these forums that I read about, concerned only with, HOW FAST CAN IT GO……Well if you can’t HIT what aiming at, speed means NOTHING.

Speed is FINE with accuracy…..I shoot with my newest barrel the 257420 at 3100 PSI at 1100 fps and most around 1090 fps. and it is ACCURATE. With my old crap TJ barrels, i tried 4000 psi once and have 4500 psi available if wanted, and shot 1300 fps and at 100 yds. As PSI and speed went up, groups got bigger and bigger….Grapefruit sized.

Why do you seem to want to RE-INVENT THE WHEEL? You start a new thread here and GTA for the same thing posted or titled before, instead of ADDING TO IT? If you searched thourouhly, and just THIS ENTIRE THREAD is HOW I LEARNED over a year ago, it is all in here. ALL including casting is posted in this page, and what you are doing, has been done and is NORMAL……You shoot with DOUG and why not take his ADVICE, install necessary equipment and just go shoot it…If you are as I UNDERSTAND IT using the STOCK CONDOR HAMMER? For 3600 psi is NOT ENOUGH HAMMER and needs at least the 95 gr and I USE 120 gram……You are not getting best use of your airtank.

KNIFE who is on here uses a 24″ barrel….Take his and DOUGS advice as THEY DO IT and then just go DO IT instead of thinking you are doing something NEW…..To you it may be but you are wasting time trying to figure it out…

You must be the person Doug wanted a CATALINA BOTTLE FOR?? He asked if I wanted to sell it as I haven’t used it in a year and I said since hard to get now, I will just keep it…..I got a curve with it of 10 shots and about 3200 psi as can’t remember now. With a 27″ barrel.That is the secret a LARGER VOLUME CAPACITY……. THEN a curve is very easy….I only shoot off bench and tethered so curve means nothing to me.

Carl

As it stands my gun is shooting just fine with 72gr pills and the standard hammer (I do have a hammer from Doug coming) 5 good shots is really all I was asking and I got that and then some, so I’m very happy with that. I very well may use the heavy hammer just because I can lower the PW and make the gun easier to cock. The PW at 4 with Doug’s heavy spring really does take some effort.

As far as the Catalina bottle, that will be used on another gun, for more shots without tethering, (I did not realize how heavy it is) I love the extra volume and the consistency that volume can give within reason. I have not decided what gun I will put that on, I may use it on my other 25 Condor, or possible on my SS in .22 — have not made up my mind yet 🙂

The ‘388 bullets were/are a “I wonder if I can get” type of thing and if I can get a reasonable speed then fine, if I can’t, so what, I’ll stay with the ‘420 slugs …. Lots of folks including yourself have used those with good success I believe.

My shots will never be as far as yours, 75yds to maybe 100yds at the very most. This is a fun little project and so far I’m very happy with the way things are going.

wll2506

knifemaker

Wll;

I may have answered you incorrectly. The bullets I am having so much luck with, and gave the .338 B.C. were the bullets I am casting are from a modded mold. I ordered a 104 FP Spitzer from NOE, and milled the blocks down to throw bullets at 82 gr. with 2% tin/lead mix. They are performing better than I could have imagined.

I milled off the last driving band in such a way, as to intersect the last lube grove exactly in it’s apex. This gave a tiny rebated boattail for the base. 😉

I will get the BC for the 388 when they arrive from Cedric. I need to send him some of these NOE bullets to play with also. Just been too darned LAZY!!! LOL!!! :rofl:

Knife

tnt76

The 65gr .257 mould from NOE is getting very close to production, since Bob and Al have come up with a couple of extra sizing options, increasing interest.
    Anybody interested in adding their name can check it out at
    http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,1632.0.html

I’m looking forward to this for my .257 marauder which is at a comfortable 137 ftlb, which should push the 65gr up to high 900’s fps

Viewing 4 posts - 361 through 364 (of 364 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar