Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

A 257 Cast Bullet Reference Guide

Home Forums Other Guns Other Guns A 257 Cast Bullet Reference Guide

This topic contains 363 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  tnt76 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 364 total)
  • Author

lurker-1

With my “257 NOBLE” Condor here is a string of 5 X 85 gr Spitzer bullets
    from about 3400 PSI to about 2950 PSI Power Wheel 2:
    1) 973
    2) 987
    3) 988
    4) 984
    5) 975
    AVG = 981
    SD = 6.5
    ES = 15

I just punch paper for now and haven’t gotten to shoot it much yet. But I got 10 consecutive X 73 gr. rounds on standard size paper target at 200 yards. No doubt the “257 NOBLE” Condor will do much better when fully sighted in.

tofazfou

BIll,

Things are looking good so far and its good to see your getting a little more than what you wanted. The OEM bottles volume has a lot to do with your numbers and once you change that to a CF tank, I could see your speed/fpe increasing for sure.

Another thing is to NOT go up or down a full turn on the PW. Try using all those numbers to get the most of what your looking for. For example, i move my powerwheel UP or DOWN only .4 points at a time. In other words, my gun shoots best on PW 4-8 with the newer LBT 90 gr FP’s. If i use the Lyman 257420’s, i back the PW down to 4-4. If i go to 4-12, i get more power and I start wasting a little bit of air per shot. If i go to 4-16 pw, i waste a ton of air and speed only increases minutely.

A little more or less spring pressure is all it takes. The PW might not seem like its moving much but just a pinch is all it takes to open the valve a little more or a little less.

wll2506
    quote LURKER #1:

1) 973
    2) 987
    3) 988
    4) 984
    5) 975
    AVG = 981
    SD = 6.5
    ES = 15

I just punch paper for now and haven’t gotten to shoot it much yet. But I got 10 consecutive X 73 gr. rounds on standard size paper target at 200 yards. No doubt the “257 NOBLE” Condor will do much better when fully sighted in.

OMG !!!

That is just off the charts … that makes the 257 into an absolute monster of a bullet/airgun combo !!! Is that a standard R&L 700mm barrel and nothing super fancy, maybe a spring and hammer change and that’s it !!!! WOW !

wll2506

wll2506
    quote Tofazfou:

BIll,

Things are looking good so far and its good to see your getting a little more than what you wanted. The OEM bottles volume has a lot to do with your numbers and once you change that to a CF tank, I could see your speed/fpe increasing for sure.

Another thing is to NOT go up or down a full turn on the PW. Try using all those numbers to get the most of what your looking for. For example, i move my powerwheel UP or DOWN only .4 points at a time. In other words, my gun shoots best on PW 4-8 with the newer LBT 90 gr FP’s. If i use the Lyman 257420’s, i back the PW down to 4-4. If i go to 4-12, i get more power and I start wasting a little bit of air per shot. If i go to 4-16 pw, i waste a ton of air and speed only increases minutely.

A little more or less spring pressure is all it takes. The PW might not seem like its moving much but just a pinch is all it takes to open the valve a little more or a little less.

Cedric,

Thank you so much for your input. I will be ordering a CF tank on Wednesday (payday, :- ) and I’ll see Doug on Friday.

I’m sure It will be shooting beyond my expectations. After reading what I have been reading my ~70gr pills should be flying out over 950fps without to much trouble at all, especially if I set the tank to 3400 psi and get a bell curve. Right now with the little bit of shooting I did this weekend, I was surprised at the raw power a 72gr pill has at 915 fps ….. at 950-975 fps, it has to be off the charts and more than any “Yote” can handle !

I will take your advice and use the Power Wheel setting more judiciously when the CF tank arrives !

I was going a full revolution just to see if there was a change .. and in effect, there was very, very little change with this valve … it seems that this valve is almost an “all or nothing at all” configuration. I removed all the air and will remove the valve tomorrow at work where I have the vice and other tools to do it. I will take out the Top hat and see if I can remove the inside of the working parts … we will see !

Thank you again for your input.

Bill

lurker-1
    quote wll2506:

quote LURKER #1:

1) 973
    2) 987
    3) 988
    4) 984
    5) 975
    AVG = 981
    SD = 6.5
    ES = 15

OMG !!!

That is just off the charts … that makes the 257 into an absolute monster of a bullet/airgun combo !!! Is that a standard R&L 700mm barrel and nothing super fancy, maybe a spring and hammer change and that’s it !!!! WOW !

wll2506

Bill, it is all customized by Doug Noble. Barrel is 32″ TJ hammer forged with extra long one piece bushing, carbon fiber barrel sleeve, custom valve etc. etc. Also has a carbon fiber tank that I provided but Doug had to rework to make it fit. Oh, and it pushes the Arsenal 85 gr Spitzer bullets at 1010 FPS and that’s not full power. :biggrinn:

wll2506
    quote LURKER #1:

quote wll2506:

quote LURKER #1:

1) 973
    2) 987
    3) 988
    4) 984
    5) 975
    AVG = 981
    SD = 6.5
    ES = 15

OMG !!!

wll2506

Bill, it is all customized by Doug Noble. Barrel is 32″ TJ hammer forged with extra long one piece bushing, carbon fiber barrel sleeve, custom valve etc. etc. Also has a carbon fiber tank that I provided but Doug had to rework to make it fit. Oh, and it pushes the Arsenal 85 gr Spitzer bullets at 1010 FPS and that’s not full power. :biggrinn:

That sounds like one heck of a machine ! Do you have any pictures so I can drool ;- )

wll2506

lurker-1

OK, ah somewhere amongst 1,044 pictures on this phone;

[=0]

From back to front, WokButt;
    chinka CF Tank;
    E-TAC with gauge & foster fill;
    Doug’s Valve, Breech, Hammer & Spring;
    AR15 type grip on custon 1 of 3 made unobtainable frame hugging trigger guard;
    ?Trigger Supper Sear? Installed by Doug-an excellent improvement!;
    32″ TJ Hammer Forged barrel with custom extra long one piece barrel bushing;
    CF Barrel Sleeve (Doug said it is pretty but is hidden by custom Shroud);
    Hawke 6.5-24X Tactical scope on ? adjustable drop 1mm to picatiny mount;
    Hey, I installed the tripod and it is ahhh…the latest version & wasn’t cheep;
    Little red laser for close up bullet trap.

Doug also added things here and there as he likes to do the best job available. WOW!!!
    What more could you ask?

Attachments:

wll2506

Man alive, that is a beauty.

I’m ordering my 4500 tank tomorrow, they do not have black so I’ll have to paint it my self. but it will look good.

I’m looking for a very solid 5-7 shot gun, using 69-74 gr slugs in the 935-950+ ish area now as I’ll be using the psi set to 3400 and this with Dougs valve will be awesome.

I can’t think of anything I could hunt in the desert that this won’t take with a good shot.

wll2506

lurker-1

Bill,

If your AF tank has a rubber sleeve, it comes off essily with an air hose. My air wand has a rubber tip that can get under the edge and not scratch it. If it is more of a rubber boot like the older AF guns, that comes off easier. Otherwise hold one end of the sleeve against the tank while blowing air in the other end. It will want to move. You’ll see.

The newer clamp on WokButt fit my CF tank perfectly, looks good to me and helps raise the scope to my eye.

wll2506
    quote LURKER #1:

Bill,

If your AF tank has a rubber sleeve, it comes off essily with an air hose. My air wand has a rubber tip that can get under the edge and not scratch it. If it is more of a rubber boot like the older AF guns, that comes off easier. Otherwise hold one end of the sleeve against the tank while blowing air in the other end. It will want to move. You’ll see.

The newer clamp on WokButt fit my CF tank perfectly, looks good to me and helps raise the scope to my eye.

I will use the butt plate that is on my aluminum tank to see if it fits on the carbon tank … we will see ?

By the time I get through with it it will look nice. I’m excited to see what realistic speed and shot count I can get with 70ish gr bullets ;- ) I do plan on a 3300 to 3400 fill to get the numbers I want, along with of course the PW setting.

I have no idea what I’m getting into, so this is an adventure

wll2506

knifemaker

Watching with interest!!! 😉

Here’s a pic of mine. Doug’s valve, 24″ R&L bbl. (TJ’s). A 4500 psi bottle that Dman got for me a couple years back.
    Stock by Mad Dog, Scope by Zeiss.

Was able to get 980 fps with the LBT 94 gr. bullets. Have it set up at 1020 with the 80 gr. NOE Ranch Dog bullets, that Eric at “Hollow Point Mold Services” did up for me. They are explosive on varmints! (Cast them with 1-2% tin in the mix, at 680-690 F). On a side note, the point of the spire point pictured here, will actually fit inside of the hollow point pictured to the right.

The Modded Spire point mold throws them at 104 gr. from NOE. I milled the blocks to give me a 82 gr bullet. Accuracy is very typically under 1/2″ at 100 yd. and very typically in the 1/4″ range. Would love to stretch it out to LONG distance. It gave a BC of .388 when I tested it here on my home range.

Accuracy is outstanding, to say the least! 😀

Knife<a href="” target=”_blank”>

<a href="” target=”_blank”>
    These bullets are 1. modified NOE Spire Point, 82 Gr.
    And the NOE RD at 80 Gr. with a Huge HP cavity. Both very accurate!

Doug supplied me with the hammer for converting it to a “Side Cocker”
    <a href="” target=”_blank”>

Just replaced the Harris Bipod with a Recon 360 this week, along with a Accushot Monopod in the rear. Sweet setup together. 🙂

Knife

wll2506
    quote knifemaker:

Here’s a pic of mine. Doug’s valve, 24″ R&L barrel. (TJ’s). A 4500 psi bottle that Dman got for me a couple years back.
    Stock by Mad Dog, Scope by Zeiss.

Was able to get 980 fps with the LBT 94 gr. bullets. Have it set up at 1020 with the 80 gr. NOE Ranch Dog bullets, that Eric at “Hollow Point Mold Services” did up for me. They are explosive on varmints! (Cast them with 1-2% tin in the mix, at 680-690 F).

The Modded Spire point mold throws them at 104 gr. from NOE. I milled the blocks to give me a 82 gr bullet. Accuracy is very typically under 1/2″ at 100 yd. Would love to stretch it out to LONG distance. It gave a BC of .388 when I tested it here on my home range.

Knife<a href="” target=”_blank”>

Knife

Knife,

That is crazy, gives me a lot of confidence that I can get speeds well above what I was thinking with 72gr slugs. Sounds like I may be able to turn my gun into something I never dreamed of, it should be a breeze to get in the 975fps range with a 72 gr pill, not using as much air as a heaver slug that should give me the 5-7 solid shots I want also ; – )

wll2506

knifemaker

I have to turn her down with an extra “O” ring to keep her under 1035 with the Lyman 257420 for best accuracy. 980 to 1020 seems best. Wide open, she will knock on the door of 1100 fps.

The Custom 60 gr. NOE bullets I cast, cannot be shot well the way she shoots now. I can’t get them under 1100 fps at all with the current spring.

Knife

wll2506
    quote knifemaker:

I have to turn her down with an extra “O” ring to keep her under 1035 with the Lyman 257420 for best accuracy. 980 to 1020 seems best. Wide open, she will knock on the door of 1100 fps.

The Custom 60 gr. NOE bullets I cast, cannot be shot well the way she shoots now. I can’t get them under 1100 fps at all with the current spring.

Knife

I’m smiling big time ;- )

wll2506

wll2506

Well, went shooting today with Doug and Nick…. I needed a spring change for sure as my stock spring did not have the power to run Doug’s valve.

I went back to the office after watching Doug and Nick shoot their awesome guns at 225 yards smacking soda cans and eggs with 257 and 308 cal airguns and I changed my stock spring to about a 9+ lb spring that Doug supplied for use with his custom valve. It takes a lot more pressure to cock my gun even when on 1 on the Power Wheel. My gun got about 680 fps at 10 with the regular spring…..tomorrow morning will be to tale of the tape … kind of….as I only have a 3000 psi tank, and can’t fill it to the 3400 psi that it needs to be ! Nick was getting in 1050+ using bullets heavier than my 72 gr’ers for sure ! Don’t know what my speed will be tomorrow but if it is in the 950 area, I will have confidence I will get in the 975 ++ with a 3400 tank for 5 shots :-).

Those bullets from Doug and Nick’s guns got to the target quick and hit with a ton of bricks at 225 yards ! They let me shoot their machines and I was able to smack a couple of soda cans with Doug’s 257 and his 308 :- ) shot Nick’s Slayer 308, and it is quite the machine :- )

We will see how gun performs tomorrow :- )

wll2506

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 364 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar