Skip to toolbar
Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

A 257 Cast Bullet Reference Guide

Home Forums Other Guns Other Guns A 257 Cast Bullet Reference Guide

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 364 total)
  • Author
    uncledevo
    Participant

Yesterday was fun at the range. An older couple showed up and were fascinated with my set up. They witnessed me take out two clay pigeons at 420 yards. They tried to help me get out to 840, but no luck there yet. The range has a lot of scrub that eats the missed shots so with no dirt flying there is no way to adjust. I did put five rounds on to the frying pan out near the sheep at 547 yards. It would have been better and easier if I had paid attention to the back bag on my bench rest set up: the stock was resting on the front of the bag instead of in the groove causing inconsistencies. Lesson learned. All of yesterday’s shooting was done with 257388 rounds from my new Arsenal mold.

I think I will simply crank the rear FX scope ring up as far as it goes before trying the 840 yard target again…want something different, do something different. Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results.

Is anyone else having trouble posting pictures since the website was changed?

rifle50
    Participant
    quote uncledevo:

Yesterday was fun at the range. An older couple showed up and were fascinated with my set up. They witnessed me take out two clay pigeons at 420 yards. They tried to help me get out to 840, but no luck there yet. The range has a lot of scrub that eats the missed shots so with no dirt flying there is no way to adjust. I did put five rounds on to the frying pan out near the sheep at 547 yards. It would have been better and easier if I had paid attention to the back bag on my bench rest set up: the stock was resting on the front of the bag instead of in the groove causing inconsistencies. Lesson learned. All of yesterday’s shooting was done with 257388 rounds from my new Arsenal mold.

I think I will simply crank the rear FX scope ring up as far as it goes before trying the 840 yard target again…want something different, do something different. Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results.

Is anyone else having trouble posting pictures since the website was changed?

I tried 2 tests to post a pic and didn’t work for me …………That 257388 is a superb bullet in my airgun. ……I used the 4 cavity mold and ordered his 5 cavity and it arrived today……….I cast 1500 of them last weekend.

Glad you enjoyed your shooting……Soon i will start serious accuracy testing starting at the 300-400 yds….Have the gun all tuned now at the 100 yd testing and it is seriously shooting well…

Carl

uncledevo
    Participant

Please let us know if the 5 cavity works as well as the four cavity. Glad you like the mold, and I’m glad I sent some rounds to Jared to get it back into production. I’m not sure bu I think that 257388 was last in production in the 1950s or 60s.

rifle50
    Participant
    quote uncledevo:

Please let us know if the 5 cavity works as well as the four cavity. Glad you like the mold, and I’m glad I sent some rounds to Jared to get it back into production. I’m not sure bu I think that 257388 was last in production in the 1950s or 60s.

I’m glad you got it made too! That .430″ group was with it and have several 1/2″ groups with it. That group is on Arsenal site pics ofo the mold. Jared asked if he could post it. I sent 4 others around 1/2″ but he used the one with Aspirin Tablet for comparisson ……Jared didn’t think I would have a problem keeping 5 cavity up to temp, my only concerns……I cast fast and actually probably get the molds to hot… Will see how it works……Soon may give it a try but with 1500 just made wait awhile…….Need to cast next the LBT 89 SP as down to a handful and with my new rebuild it shoots very well to and at long distance these 2 bullets will be better than the stuff I shot last year, no question…….

Carl

uncledevo
    Participant

I cast hot and fast as I can. Preheating helps. I run two furnaces: a Lee bottom drip that’s there to melt sprues and feed stocks and an RCBS that I pour molds with. I run the RCBS maxed out on its temperature setting, after getting it going I back the Lee down to 7. I use a Lyman ladle to take liquid lead from the Lee to the RCBS. I don’t dross as often as recommended: why bother every 20 minutes if it’s pouring from the bottom?

The Arsenal mold is susceptible to heat failure. The bushings on my first 258388 came off. I tried less preheating with its replacement and got lots of bad pours: smiles, cavities, lines and dimples. Next try I went back to preheating: it worked much better.

I need to start separating by 1/10 of a grain.

dougroundup
    Participant
    quote rifle50:

quote uncledevo:

I’m glad you got it made too! That .430″ group was with it and have several 1/2″ groups with it. That group is on Arsenal site pics ofo the mold. Jared asked if he could post it. I sent 4 others around 1/2″ but he used the one with Aspirin Tablet for comparisson ……Jared didn’t think I would have a problem keeping 5 cavity up to temp, my only concerns……I cast fast and actually probably get the molds to hot… Will see how it works……Soon may give it a try but with 1500 just made wait awhile…….Need to cast next the LBT 89 SP as down to a handful and with my new rebuild it shoots very well to and at long distance these 2 bullets will be better than the stuff I shot last year, no question…….

Carl

Ha ha ha!
    I am glad you like it!!!
    I toldcha so!!!
    Remember ????
    :rofl: dougroundup says…..
    ” the all around goodness of that old Ideal/Lyman #257420 bullet design. It seems to be a difficult all around design to beat….
    In my opinion and limited trigger experience,,,,, There is indeed another bullet design that is very worthwhile!
    It is an 88gr Spitzer. However it isn’t any of the same 88gr Spitzers manufactured today, such as the RCBS or NOE offerings.
    The mojo bullet I am speaking of is produced from an old antique and long discontinued mould that was once manufactured by the original “Ideal” company.” :whistle:
    Bigrifle50 says…
    “I haven’t shot anything over 88 gr and won’t, as to heavy for the caliber for WAY OUT there with a 1-14″ twist, IMO! The 88 gr Spitzers of which you are fond of, Yes i have tried them from where you got yours as i read how Cedric said they worked for him…..For me and my rifle they did not work well at all…I shot a few early on and were big groups at 100 yds at 3200 psi…..I had purchased bag of 100 to try……Left on the shelf till i got my gun working much better..Tried them again a week ago when at the 220 yd range and have bullets that work great……..Only shot just a few at the 3500 psi level this time where my other heavy bullets worked best, but the group was forming from left to right spread on the target and WASN’T wind!!.Wasted no more air with them….i switched to another bullet and actually yesterday i cast some more BBT 79 gr and i threw the bag of 88 Spitzers in the melt……..SO thanks for your kind offer but I tried them…Actually was HOPING they would be good as the higher BC would be an asset…..” :rofl:

Well it is a trial and error live and learn thing and what works for one doesnt always work for another. I just know that they always worked great for me.
    Glad to see that this cat or wildcat is outta the bag and currently avail in a quality production mould!
    Great work guys!!! Glad to hear that I am not an anomoly any longer… Yup, love that bullet. Best groups ever …. But it does kinda take a bit of a lobb with a desent arc.

uncledevo
    Participant

The 88 grain 267388 Arsenal Spitzers work fo my gun at 420 & 547 yards. Took out two clay pigeons at 420 and rounds on target at 547.

One of the two clays was taken out by hitting the Berm below it causing it to slide down. Made no adjustment to aim and hit it with my next shot. That’s good stuff at 420 yards.

Due to my lead tin mix my Spitzers come in around 82/83 grains. Great round. 3500 PSI, 8 PW.

dougroundup
    Participant

Uncle Devo , you said your running your PW at #8,
    Whats the weight and type of hammer inside your gun? Do you know how many pounds your spring is?
    My spring is pretty heavy and it just seems to work better with as long a stroke as possible. If i go up much more than #8 my gun gets a somewhat more noticeable to cock, the hammer seems more prone to valve bounce and my spring compression is too close to binding… So while my power wheel window goes twices as high, reality is .that 8 is as high as mine should really go. At a 3.5 k fill I am shooting fine at about #2 and anything over 4 is just blowing alot of air out past the end of my 30″ barrel once after the bullet has exited. I would like to try shooting unreg’d at 4.5k Probably would start to get up there close to 8 like you guys. With 88 gr pure lead, getting about 1040-,1050 fps with under 3400psi PW on 2….. Not too shabby would ya say? Perhaps I should try shopping another spring that is less apt to binding though… Do you guys cock with the breach or do you use a side cocking hammer?

uncledevo
    Participant

DYOTAT valve hammer & spring. Took a while with chronograph to figure out 8 was the best spring tension @ 3500 psi. Average speed 1034 with 257388 slugs. Mine aren’t pure lead. 25:1 with a touch of Oatey Leadfree plumbers silver solder in the mix.

tofazfou
    Participant

LOL….can’t keep up with you guys buying all these molds…….lol.

I ordered the LBT 90 gr cause Carl said they are excellent then i borrowed some from Doug and they shoot damn well from my gun now i here the 257388 is even better. Doesn’t surprise me though as the original Ideal bullet they were copied from shot very well in my gun too. But i have a Arsenal 257388 on the way in the future.

Thanks for all the leg work and reporting Devo and Carl

rifle50
    Participant
    quote dougroundup:

Carl[/quote]

Ha ha ha!
    I am glad you like it!!!
    I toldcha so!!!
    Remember ????
    :rofl: dougroundup says…..
    ” [/quote]

AND if YOU REMEMBER I SAID I TRIED IT 😎 …….I used RJ’s bullets in the 2 barrels i had then, and they sucked for my guns, barrels didn’t like at all…….I melted what i bought and cast another profile the barrels liked..The ARSENAL MOLD isn’t exact copy and Jared’s molds are exceptional for my gun now. I have a 4 cavity and two 5 cavity molds of the 388 profile. I have SINCE re-BUILT the gun from ground UP and THIS ONE WORKS……..Nothing is same except valve and tank………A 2nd gun is being re-built from ground up with a couple differences from the newest one, as in GUNSMITHS shop now…..Will be couple weeks before it is done…… I have 4 bullets available to me I did not have at end of last year when I shot to 1065 yds.

This season will be MUCH BETTER FOR ACCURACY at GREAT DISTANCE FOR SURE……Already is at 100 and 220 yds..Soon will get to longer range as the range is finished with week long shooting for awhile anyway…….

Carl

tnt76
    Participant

HI all, only new here.
    Would there be any interest in a lighter .257, such as the 65gr from NOE? When it is available of course.

Also, for those that have bought and cast from the Arsenal 257420 molds, what diameter are they dropping at?

lurker-1
    Participant

I’m trying hard to get myself together enough to finish sighting in this beauty that Doug custom built for me.

Attachments:

dporter
    Participant
    quote LURKER #1:

I’m trying hard to get myself together enough to finish sighting in this beauty that Doug custom built for me.

That looks like the sibling to the one I have in the works. The “Kick Ass” DNS .257s are on the loose! “Houston, we have solved the problem”!

How is this for a slogan? “DNS .257s, the answer to most problems”!

lurker-1
    Participant

Nah, “DNS” has negative connotation in retail whereas “NOBLE .257” is much more representative of the Quality, Power, and Support that Doug Continues to provide. Personally I think Doug’s pricing is very low.

Customization in itself presents numerous unique challenges that a yoyo may never fully understand or appreciate but Doug has proven his skills many times over. Customization is a continuous evolution and in my opinion it is the salt that will rescue our USA economy time and again.

i have cast about 200 Arsenal 257420 BOAT TAILS but have yet to shoot them at the range. As with other molds I have, I don’t get a sharp rear edge like Doug gets. Until I straighten that out maybe it isn’t that important with a BT bullet. I’m thinking the other Arsenal molds may be more accurate for my paper punching anyway.

Would a bottom pour lead pot do any better for me?

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 364 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.