Skip to toolbar
Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

A 257 Cast Bullet Reference Guide

Home Forums Other Guns Other Guns A 257 Cast Bullet Reference Guide

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 364 total)
  • Author
    tofazfou
    Participant

Arsenal Molds 257420 mold. This puppies really clean. Can’t wait to cast and shot with this mold.

Thanks again UncleDevo for the heads up on them. I see some other calibers i want to buy.

dougroundup
    Participant

Sweet!!!
    May I ask? How much? Wonder if they can make them in a Hollow Point or do ya still have to send em off to your guy, to have him do it?
    Yes a great addition to this thread! Thanks unky devo!

uncledevo
    Participant

$75 for the four cavity mold. No, Arsenal does not hollow point their molds.

rifle50
    Participant

I cast with this mold yesterday for the 3rd time and did 700 bullets in one hour. Last 10 minutes timed in another pan and did 115 in that time…….This mold casts a beautiful and accurate bullet, and is better in all ways than my 2 Lyman dual cavity. Can’t wait for the spire point 257388 mold revival soon…..My order is in for it too………..Carl

quote Tofazfou:

Arsenal Molds 257420 mold. This puppies really clean. Can’t wait to cast and shot with this mold.

Thanks again UncleDevo for the heads up on them. I see some other calibers i want to buy.

tofazfou
    Participant

Carl,

Are the 90 gr LBT’s in Devo’s picture above the same ones you shoot from LBT? I had never seen a picture of them.

rifle50
    Participant
    quote Tofazfou:

Carl,

Are the 90 gr LBT’s in Devo’s picture above the same ones you shoot from LBT? I had never seen a picture of them.

No they are not what i shot the long distances with…… Below a pic of the LBT 92 gr I used to 1000+ yds. .22 pellets for comparison.Click pic to enlarge

Carl

uncledevo
    Participant

I can’t speak for Carl, but I might be able to address this question about the LBT Bullets as I know that Carl had LBT molds prior to the ones Veral developed as air gun specific for me. I sent Carl some of the rounds from my LBT molds and he ordered molds like them (though his spec was .2573 and mine .2570). If anyone is going to order what Carl calls the “Wasp Waist” molds from LBT, you need to make it clear on the order form that these are for AIR GUN only. In addition to the small differential bearing bands that minimize aerodynamic resistance, these also have a bevel base. For subsonic flight that acts like a rebated boat tail in flight and makes a smoother envelope of the air as it leaves the muzzle before it passes through the Hatsan air stripper. It may be helpful to send a sample slug to LBT. If anyone wants a few sample slugs of either the Spitzer or the LFN pictured send me your address by email. I love casting with the LBT molds: the sprue plate Veral Smith makes is vastly superior to any other. I’m tempted to buy both the LFN and the Spitzer in 85 grain to see what works best. If I do I will use Carl’s .2573 spec.

Carl’s my mentor so I hope I was able to save him time in providing this reply, but any corrections or additions he adds are of course welcome. This was being written as Carl replied. See above.

lambertus
    Participant

Been a while, did some reading up.
    Very nice to see that the .257 caliber is getting more attention again. 🙂

Did not shoot a lot last months, but i finally did made some more chrono-strings of my .257 Guppy.

I have build a new chrono setup where the gun position is fixed. So less shot to shot varience.
    The Shooting Chrony Beta was changed to a Chrono R2, more accurate reading, and a lot less errors.

The Chrono strings were all shot using 86,7 grain RCBS bullets.
    (2-Cavity Cowboy Bullet Mold 25-85-CM 25 Caliber).
    These really work best in my setup thusfar at 100 meters.

Before i shot each string, i did around 5-10 shots to get the barrel down to the right temperature.

The gun was tethered to a bottle via an external aqua environment regulator.

Results:

150 bar, unsized RCBS ’85’ grain.

150 bar, .258 sized RCBS ’85’ grain

150 bar, .257 sized RCBS ’85’ grain

Normally at the 100 meter range i shoot at 150 bar, because this gives decent groups. (150 bar = 2175 psi)
    I wanted to know which sizing gives the most constant chrono readout.

Just to get an idea off the power potential i shot a last string at 200 bar. (200 bar = 2900 psi).
    I bet i could get even more power if i wanted, this is still with minimum hammerspring preload and i didn’t play with the adjustable hammer stroke.

200 bar, .257 sized RCBS ’85’ grain

When im at the range next time i will make some new photo’s of my Uzenac Guppy’s performance at 100 meters.

I finally found the cause for having strange flyers sometimes.
    My scope was mounted way too high to get a comfortable and repeatable position behind it.

uncledevo
    Participant

I have been waiting for this for quite some time. Several months ago I sent a few RJ Spitzer rounds I bought from R&L Airgun to Arsenal Molds and asked for them to develop a mold based on those rounds.

No! I don’t have the mold yet, but I do have a picture of rounds that came out of a prototype mold along with this text in an email:

We are crazy close! Still tweaking the nose to get it smoothed out but I think we will have it by the end of the day…. If I didn’t just jinx myself by saying that. Sorry about the wait
    As is – it measured .2575 diameter and weighed 85.1 grain

So if you want to get in on making your own Sptizers from a high quality aluminum mold….what are you waiting for? Contact Arsenal molds and get a modern mold that drops the 257388!

uncledevo
    Participant

The 257388 is on Arsenal Molds website at long last. In order to get it into production the tip had to be made flat instead of pointed, but it’s only 0.09 so its pretty darn small and I doubt that in subsonic flight it will make any difference at all to the performance of these rounds. I placed an order tonight for a four cavity aluminum mold and specified the sprue holes at 0.10 as this makes opening the mold easier and makes for a more perfect heal to the round.

If these fly anywhere near as well as the rounds that inspired me to send a few to Arsenal to get this mold into production I will be one happy caster with this mold!

dougroundup
    Participant
    quote uncledevo:

The 257388 is on Arsenal Molds website at long last. In order to get it into production the tip had to be made flat instead of pointed, but it’s only 0.09 so its pretty darn small and I doubt that in subsonic flight it will make any difference at all to the performance of these rounds. I placed an order tonight for a four cavity aluminum mold and specified the sprue holes at 0.10 as this makes opening the mold easier and makes for a more perfect heal to the round.

If these fly anywhere near as well as the rounds that inspired me to send a few to Arsenal to get this mold into production I will be one happy caster with this mold!

If it performs anything like the original Ideal mold that RJ Porter casts his tailor made to order bullets from, then it will be a winner. The 88grain spitzer that I have bought from RJ are the most accurate I have shot in my dyotat built .257 ymmv

uncledevo
    Participant

The slugs I sent Arsenal were made by RJ. These should be very close but not exact replicas (see nose profile). I doubt that minor difference will mean much but we’ll see soon. I ordered a four cavity aluminum mold before posting: $75 & $7.50 shipping.

rifle50
    Participant
    quote uncledevo:

The slugs I sent Arsenal were made by RJ. These should be very close but not exact replicas (see nose profile). I doubt that minor difference will mean much but we’ll see soon. I ordered a four cavity aluminum mold before posting: $75 & $7.50 shipping.

Mine was shipped 2 days ago………..Carl

uncledevo
    Participant

Mine is here! I’m going out in the back yard and firing up the furnaces! I run two at a time so sprues and feedstocks don’t cool down the production pot.

uncledevo
    Participant

I am unable to attach pictures since the WS was changed. Oh well.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 364 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.