Skip to toolbar
Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

A 257 Cast Bullet Reference Guide

Home Forums Other Guns Other Guns A 257 Cast Bullet Reference Guide

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 364 total)
  • Author
    uncledevo
    Participant

I have a hot rodded .257 AirForce Condor. I have a Lyman 257420 mold. Everyone who shoots .257 likes that round, but they don’t like the fact that the Lyman mold only comes in a 2 cavity configuration. Arsenal Molds is now making a four cavity 257420. In addition to faster casting, he rounds from the Arsenal mold make tighter groups than the ones I get from the Lyman mold. It is available in either aluminum or brass. I have the aluminum. http://arsenalmolds.com/product/257420-70-grain-rf/

dougroundup
    Participant

Right on unky D E V O!
    Thanks for the good tip and contributing something to this thread.
    I cant help but wonder if the manufacturer’s are noticing a significant rise in the sales and rise in popularity of this round due to air rifle enthusiasts. Surely this caliber and especially this particular cast bullet must be much more popular amoungst air riflemen compared to most firearm marksmen and general powder burning shooting crowd????? I dont hear much of the handloading guys making up many .257 wildcats… Maybe a few will load for the expensive 257 Weatherby round. I seem to recall a 257 Peters, and of course the 257 Ackley being probably the most popular wildcat … My guess is that most guys loading these cartridges likely arent casting lead bullets and more likely are using jacketed tailor made bullets from one of the regular reloading suppliers. Speer, Hornady, RCBS, ect… So who buys casting moulds for .257 and especially that oldskool classic 257420 by Ideal/Lyman? :2cents: :2cents:

uncledevo
    Participant

I also have the DYOTAT hammer valve and spring on my AirForce Condor, a 32′ TJ barrel which was threaded for a Hatsan Air Stripper at the Muzzle. It has a Limbsaver in between the Air Stripper and a carbon fiber shroud I bedded using Brownell’s Acraglass. I put a Chinese made carbon fiber bottle on the gun which is rated up to 4350 PSI and run tethered through a Ninja Paintball regulated valvee to a 4500 PSI Great White tank from Joe Brancato. FX no limits scope rings as set up on my gun give me 138 MOA, I have a 4 x 16 50 Vortex Viper scope. I was able to hit a target at 547 yards this week using 90 grain Long Flat Nose rounds from Lead Bullets Technology. If you order a mold from LBT, specify that you are shooting air gun. Veral Smith made an experimental mold after talking with me about subsonic shooting. There is only a .1 rise from the body of the bullet to the bearing band, so there is almost no drag as the rounds fly.

It is raining here in Boulder City NV, so the dirt may not fly so well the next time I go shooting, but if it does I want to see if I can put rounds on a target at 800 meters.

knifemaker
    Participant

OH NO!!! another Have To Buy+the cost of hollowpointing. Yeah, That’s it! 🙂

Knife

rifle50
    Participant
    quote knifemaker:

OH NO!!! another Have To Buy=the cost of hollowpointing. Yeah, That’s it! 🙂

Knife

I got the 4 cavity 257420 ARSENAL MOLD in AL…………SWEET……Make them twice as fast now…….WAS thinking of the 5 cavity but heard the stories from those that said hard to keep it running smooth all 5 with heat???
    I have the 257388 mold ordered as he is still waiting for the tooling to make the point. He is bringing back that out of production single cavity IDEAL MOLD I believe? Will be 4 or 5 cavity, AL or Brass…..

Thanks to uncledevo, as he paid an UP FRONT premium for tooling, to get the Lyman and the Ideal molds back into manufacturing.

Carl

tofazfou
    Participant

Lambertus,

I was going to suggest sleeving your barrel with Carbon Fiber. But its been suggested.

Also, since you shoot competition, try sorting your slugs to within .5 a grain.

tofazfou
    Participant
    quote uncledevo:

I have a hot rodded .257 AirForce Condor. I have a Lyman 257420 mold. Everyone who shoots .257 likes that round, but they don’t like the fact that the Lyman mold only comes in a 2 cavity configuration. Arsenal Molds is now making a four cavity 257420. In addition to faster casting, he rounds from the Arsenal mold make tighter groups than the ones I get from the Lyman mold. It is available in either aluminum or brass. I have the aluminum. http://arsenalmolds.com/product/257420-70-grain-rf/

UncleDevo,

You sir are most awesome for that tidbit o’ info. I have them saved in my favorites and i just might buy one. I like the way their bullets look. Did they redo some of the measurement from the old 257420 to their newer 257420? The lines look sharper and deeper?

Or is it just my old eyes…….lol?

uncledevo
    Participant

The old 257420 rounds fit in the cavities of the new mold. It’s as close to 100% accurate as it can be. If they’re good enough to make long range record holder Carl happy, I’m pretty sure you’ll be happy with them, too.

tofazfou
    Participant
    quote uncledevo:

The old 257420 rounds fit in the cavities of the new mold. It’s as close to 100% accurate as it can be. If they’re good enough to make long range record holder Carl happy, I’m pretty sure you’ll be happy with them, too.

Im sure they will make me happy……lol!

the question came up because i HEAR THEY ARE MORE ACCURATE than the old LYMANS. HOW IF THEY FIT 100% (not really asking YOU how, just thinking aloud). Something had to have changed ever so slightly for them to be better.

Yes, i know all about CARL and i have a record too………. :winkn:

The bullets lines just look sharper in the photo provided is all

THANKS!

uncledevo
    Participant

Carl tells me that they are more consistent than the Lyman, making tighter groups. I bow to his expertise.

tofazfou
    Participant
    quote uncledevo:

I bow to his expertise.

WOW…that’s some worshiping there Devo……..lol!

I’m gonna buy one……………..

Thanks again!

knifemaker
    Participant

If he is going to make the 88 gr. Ideal Mold casting, there is NOOOOOO Way I can resist!!! 😯 😉

Knife

uncledevo
    Participant

Thanks for that. I’m gonna copy and paste that in a mail to him.

uncledevo
    Participant

Regarding the Spitzer under development from Arsenal the tip profile has been the stalling point (no pun intended).
    I exchanged emails with them today. I have a “Spitzer” mold from Lead Bullets Technology that has a 0.1100 flat tip (meplat).
    I asked if re-– creating the Ideal/Lyman 80 gr 257388 with a flat tip that small would get things off the drawing board and into production. We shoot sub sonic so a small flat tip like that probably shouldn’t make too much difference. If that gets it off the dime I’m buying a four cavity aluminum mold with sprue holes between 0.1000 and 0.1100. I will let you know if that comes to pass, I’ve been waiting for this for some time, and want to move things along.

Cheers, jeers and other thoughts are all apprecited.

dougroundup
    Participant
    quote uncledevo:

Regarding the Spitzer under development from Arsenal the tip profile has been the stalling point (no pun intended).
    I exchanged emails with them today. I have a “Spitzer” mold from Lead Bullets Technology that has a 0.1100 flat tip (meplat).
    I asked if re-– creating the Ideal/Lyman 80 gr 257388 with a flat tip that small would get things off the drawing board and into production. We shoot sub sonic so a small flat tip like that probably shouldn’t make too much difference. If that gets it off the dime I’m buying a four cavity aluminum mold with sprue holes between 0.1000 and 0.1100. I will let you know if that comes to pass, I’ve been waiting for this for some time, and want to move things along.

Cheers, jeers and other thoughts are all apprecited.

I always thought that it would be really nice to have that Ideal 88gr like RJ Porter’s got, but all done up in a hollow point. Now that would be the cats meow! :whistle:

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 364 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.