50 cal blowgun mod

Home Forums General Mods/Machinists 50 cal blowgun mod

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    clownafye
    Participant

How hard would it be to swap a 50cal blowgun barrel (almost the same size of the lw barrel) into a condor. Anyone done it?
    Just some ideas, sure im not the first to think of it.
    -matt-

colinb
    Participant

how big is the OD of the barrel ?

j3magnum
    Participant

I thought blow-guns were 40 cal…..i made one off of a crosman 2240 once a while ago..it was scary to see what it could do on co2…hate to think of it being on a talon….

rob3dr
    Participant

You’d have to really turn down the Condor to do that. Otherwise, the dart would be powerful, but about as accurate as pissing in the wind.

I’d think a CO2 version Condor, or similar would be a much better choice.

mr-lama
    Participant
    quote rob3dr:

…but about as accurate as pissing in the wind.

You speaking from experience there rob? 😛

I’d like to see a blowgun thing. Dnc was thinking about it a while back. Of course, without anything to make parts, it’s just hopes.

I think it’d be wicked. There was that arrow shooting think that I think lemak made. If that’s possible why not a blowgun.

I think you should try and get them going as fast as possible, just to see what they can do. Then figure out how fast you can make it go with accuracy.

Be cool. 🙂

rob3dr
    Participant

I am. Never piss in a windstorm… at least with your head (either) to the wind.

I used to make smaller darts and shoot them out of a 2200 MSP Crosman and up until about 4 feet they did fine. The reason the Airrow is accurate is they are far heavier than a blowgun dart. I’ve not tried it with a high powered airgun, but I’d venture a guess that out of something as powerful as the Condor, those light darts would just fly all crazy…. A blowgun dart seems to do best with a gradual increase in air rather than a short blast such as from an airgun.

j3magnum
    Participant

the one I built was deadly accurate…At the time my chrony was down and when I got a new I never thought to test the velocities….I can tell you the valve was shooting 14.3 gr cp’s at 750 fps. If memory serves me correct the darts were around 16 to 21 gr so roughly that translates into around 600 fps ( same length barrel )…here was the problem though..I know you seen pictures or most of us here have done it…Picture a dart with the shaft half thru a piece of 1/2 ply wood…Had one,,,had to test it at 10 feet sure enough…well out the crosman 30 feet straight thru and it would pop the end off every time.. Or bend the living piss out of the wire…Manage to take 2 squirells and 1 Dove with it..Then I picutred on of the kids getting the piece of wire in the foot because it would go clean thru and pop the end off on the squirell too… So then i had the bright idea to increse the wire size. shot the dove at 15 yrds and blew it all to pieces…was gonna eat it too…

rob3dr
    Participant
    quote j3magnum:

the one I built was deadly accurate…At the time my chrony was down and when I got a new I never thought to test the velocities….I can tell you the valve was shooting 14.3 gr cp’s at 750 fps. If memory serves me correct the darts were around 16 to 21 gr so roughly that translates into around 600 fps ( same length barrel )…here was the problem though..I know you seen pictures or most of us here have done it…Picture a dart with the shaft half thru a piece of 1/2 ply wood…Had one,,,had to test it at 10 feet sure enough…well out the crosman 30 feet straight thru and it would pop the end off every time.. Or bend the living piss out of the wire…Manage to take 2 squirells and 1 Dove with it..Then I picutred on of the kids getting the piece of wire in the foot because it would go clean thru and pop the end off on the squirell too… So then i had the bright idea to increse the wire size. shot the dove at 15 yrds and blew it all to pieces…was gonna eat it too…

Well… maybe I’m just talking out of my ass…. May have to give it a go… I’m still leery of using the Condor as a vehicle for such a project. I’m thinking a Crosman of some type may be a better route… but as stated earlier, I’ve not tried it with anything other than a cheap MSP. Would be an interesting project for sure.

j3magnum
    Participant

Rob I’ll have to agree…I think the talon would be way to much…unless you shot alot heavier dart. I think part of the succes, with the co2 was the fact that you always get a little liquid co2 in the mix until your cart is about gone. This would simulate a blown breath as the small amount of liquid expands going down the barrel..I’m not sure the the intial blast off a talon valve would be right….However I too am no expert on the subject..Just built one and got lucky…You know I could have turned the valve down on that bad boy and it would have probably been better…Nahhhhh why ruin something that cool !!!!!!! Byt hte way Rob what part of NC are you in…

rob3dr
    Participant

I’m in Western part. Just as close to Johnson City as to Asheville. Almost in Burnsville.

Good theory on the CO2, never thought of it like that….

mr-lama
    Participant
    quote rob3dr:

Well… maybe I’m just talking out of my ass….

First you pee into a windstorm now this!!!

When will the madness stop!?!

😛

j3magnum
    Participant

Rob we need to let the air out of the tanks one day..I’m in Greeneville your only about 45 mminutes away…

rob3dr
    Participant

Just say when… I’ve got a few guns here to shoot 8)

akula
    Participant

Lama; Your ‘potty’ humor is telling. Are you having puberty problems? Just kidding. It’s always a pleasure to see you post. Glad to see you back and writing. AKULA

clownafye
    Participant

Sorry i forgot to metion that it is a co2 condor. I was thinking not to use the long skinny wire darts but these short heavy ones called stinger darts. Just curious i guess thought it would be pretty cool.
    -matt-

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.