Skip to toolbar
Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

.30cal big bore pistol build

Home Forums General Mods/Machinists .30cal big bore pistol build

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    tofazfou
    Participant

Damn that pistol is super nice. Very clean looking and simple.

You done real good sir…………

on-the-edge
    Participant

That pistol is awesome! I really like that muzzle brake. With the numbers you are getting, it probably helps.

I really think that is a good caliber and we are going to see a lot more coming on the market once the manufacturers realize there is a good market. It is small enough that you can get the velocity up pretty good and large enough to pack a good wallop when it gets there. You can also get a good number of cast bullets and molds for that caliber.

rob3dr
    Participant

THAT is freakin sweet….

wingman-nz
    Participant

Thanks guys, its been a fun build and even more fun to shoot.. it LOVES the little light weight 55gr hollow points and at 75-80ftlbs it makes a mess of anything it hits.

Just finished building another pistol for close range deer and pigs etc.. A .44 cal that shoots 163gr custom hollow points to 150ftlbs, currently getting 5 shots on a 220bar fill with a “mild” tune but it is capable of 2 shots at 200ftlbs.

Both pistols are now in line for some custom walnut target grips.. 😀

hookedonpcp
    Participant

Fucking awesome. That’s all I can come up with.

wingman-nz
    Participant

Today I did a little bit of experimenting with the .30 pistol and JSB pellets running a milder tune…
    Lately I have been running a 7 1/2″ long 1-14″ twist 4 groove match barrel with the cast 55gr and 85gr HP bullets but I wanted to see if I could get the JSBs to shoot better. I have found they actually shot quite well with the shorter 1-10.5″ twist micro groove barrel when fitted with a .22 silencer drilled out to suit the .308 bore. The cheap chinese .22lr suppressor although undersized and not very good at removing the bark did somehow stabilise the hefty .30 JSB pellets better and reduce the horrible groups it shot without the suppressor.
    It probably works by defusing the massive blast of air from such a short barrel disturbing the pellets skirt design as it vacated the muzzle causing an unrecoverable speed wobble..
    Never had probs with shooting the cast bullets though.

So today I received my $14 Airsoft 9mm silencer from Ebay and stripped it out to an empty can…
    Some Airsoft silencers are made from very good alloy and with a few mods can be a cheap airgun suppressor. Both the front and rear of this brand are threaded on (not glued like most) and will easily handle the blast from an air rifle and will cope with the massive blast from this big bore pcp too…
    I removed all the foam from the inside and made up a set of baffles and spacers then made an adaptor for the rear plug from the std airsoft 14mm thread to the 1/2″ x 20 UNF of my muzzle.
    I ended up with a very cheap .30cal to 9mm muzzle can that really shuts this thing up and squashed my 5 shot JSB groups to inside an inch at 35yds with a 745fps av ;D
    Without the suppressor it would be lucky to put them inside 6 inchs!

dyotat100
    Participant

Wondering how that is working.

JSB’s are under size for a .308 barrel. I’m surprised you can get them to group that good. Guess the big blast is making them expand enough.

wingman-nz
    Participant

Really it shouldn’t be working at all and I had written the JSBs off as being too small when I first tested them and got 6″+ groups at 25 yards.. It was only by chance that I was testing the suppressor that I put a few JSBs through and was pleasantly surprised!

The bore slugs at .307.5″ and I size all my cast bullets to .308″ with good results.
    The JSB pellets I have here measure .302″ at the head and .309.5″ at the skirt, When pushed through the microgroove marlin 30-30win barrel the heads seem to “bore ride” leaving only very slight rub marks, however the skirts even without the shot pressure to open them up cut nicely into the rifling and turn freely through the twist with mild constant felt drag.. Heres how the pellet looks when pushed through.. Ill have to fire and recover some to see if the skirt is expanding happening also..

I tethered it to my pony bottle on the bench holding it firmly in a front rest and cut a 25 shot ragged hole group at 35 yards with only 3 flyers just outside the inch! impossible to see the impact in the scope though as the muzzle flip even with the suppressor fitted kicks it up out of the rest! 🙄

hookedonpcp
    Participant

That is BAD ASS wingman. I’ve showed this to so many people whether they like airguns or not, lol. They all love it.

wingman-nz
    Participant

The .30cal is just a toy.. 55-80ftlbs.. the .44cal however is pretty darn serious with 200ftlbs.. I look forward to shooting some wild pigs with it..

Heres a short vid of it set up at 150ftlbs shooting grass carp.. (a invasive river pest here in NZ)

hookedonpcp
    Participant

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to post the video. That is seriously awesome. Do you ever sell the guns you make?

wingman-nz
    Participant

most are pre-sold custom builds but these two are a couple of prototypes trying different setups etc

tofazfou
    Participant

OK……..I WANT ONE SIR!……..lol!

There, i said it.

hookedonpcp
    Participant

Heck yeah!

Jens
    Participant

Hello Wingman, great looking pistols, and powerful.
    Just one question if you allow me.
    What material do you use for the valve (for sealing)?
    Feel I need to rebuild my tactical sniper valve, so any hint is highly welcome.
    Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.