Skip to toolbar
Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

.270 air rifle (would it go the distance)

Home Forums Other Guns Other Guns .270 air rifle (would it go the distance)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ronin001
    Participant

Does anyone know if a 270 that has been made/used as an big bore air rifle? Im curious if it would be competitive …. 257 vs 270 vs 308

tofazfou
    Participant

I’ve never read about the 270 cal in an airgun. Cetainly NOTHING on 257 vs 270 vs 308. No info or builds like that yet. Would be interesting.

I say go for it and put another caliber out there. A 308 airgun would be a great candidate platform.

I would prefer the 7mm and 308 as i think the BC’s of those two rounds round be somewhat superior slightly over the 270

ronin001
    Participant

haha..I would love to if I had the access to land on a regular basis to shot it on. Hense the reason why I have not started on my 257 build. Nothing worst than having candy in your hands and not being allowed to eat it or this case shot it. 😥

jirover
    Participant

This rifle is perfect for plinking, shooting paper targets and for training new shooters. Of course, more experienced shooters will want to shoot this rifle to visit times past when they owned their first Daisy lever-action.

rrdstarr
    Participant
    quote Jirover:

This rifle is perfect for plinking, shooting paper targets and for training new shooters. Of course, more experienced shooters will want to shoot this rifle to visit times past when they owned their first Daisy lever-action.

What rifle? Haven’t seen one .270?

I have to agree with Cedric. .308 has very high BC which is what you want for long flight time and stability. I spent 18 years in the US Army Special Forces as a sniper shooting long distances with the M24 in .308 Winchester and .300 Winchester Magnum on the same rifle with a switch of the barrel, bolt and magazine. You can get up to .675 BC at 1200fps.

As Cedric also said .284/7mm has some bullets with high BC’s also. You’d probably want to use one of Bob Sterne’s magic Boattail molds as a scale to get a good bullet.

tofazfou
    Participant

Yes it actually would.

I’ve been doing some research and it looks like the .270 in cast bullet config can make some HIGHER than everyone else’ BC numbers. WOW!

RCBS bullet molds:
    A .257″ 120 gr has a BC of roughly .272
    A .277″ 150 gr has a BC of roughly .327
    A 7mm 168 gr SP has a BC of roughly .306
    A .308″ 165 gr Silh has a BC of roughly .286

So even if the numbers are OFF just a tad from shooter to shooter gun to gun, the 270 simply still dominates………….

amjadck
    Participant
    quote Tofazfou:

Yes it actually would.

I’ve been doing some research and it looks like the .270 in cast bullet config can make some HIGHER than everyone else’ BC numbers. WOW!

RCBS bullet molds:

So even if the numbers are OFF just a tad from shooter to shooter gun to gun, the 270 simply still dominates………….

At what speed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tofazfou
    Participant
    quote amjadck:

quote Tofazfou:

Yes it actually would.

RCBS bullet molds:

At what speed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

THose are generic numbers given for shooting cast slugs from Powder burners. But i doubt if they are shooting them super fast compared to a jacketed bullet but i’m sure much faster than we can shoot them.

Even then, from a PB gun, those numbers change. They change per gun and change as they fly downrange.

Those number like all of them are a BASE number and individuals should test those slugs from their own guns using a chrony set up near and far.

Many BC numbers also come from TEST barrels from a manufacturer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.