Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

.25 Crosman SOMETHING

Home Forums Other Guns Other Guns .25 Crosman SOMETHING

This topic contains 40 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  caboose212 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author

caboose212
    Participant

Not sure what to call it… It’s gonna look like a Disco at first glance, but it’s shorter. Also, the ammo will be .25 caliber cast bullets. Here’s the run-down:

Baker Big Bore breech
    Baker .25 caliber .5″ O.D. barrel. 18.875″ OAL, with M12x1mm threads at the muzzle
    Cothran Powerhouse valve
    Screws to allow filling up to 3200 psi
    19″ OAL PCP tube
    Hopefully a DonnyFl Tatsu LDC

Those are the major parts. Original intent was to build a .25 hand cannon. After looking at some other similar builds, it might be a tad too long for use as a pistol… I’m still deciding. My options are:

– Blue Fork Designs trigger group, uses AR grips- a bare-bones pistol
    – Prod trigger group, with either a 2250 fore end, or a modified Prod fore end- can also use a carbine stock when wanted/needed
    – 2260/Disco/Maximus trigger group w/a Baker brass trigger kit in a Disco stock, Boyd’s Pro Varmint stock, or a modified QB78, AR2078 stock. The AR2078 stock could also be modified for use as a pistol “stock”
    – Mrod trigger group in a modified Gen1 Mrod stock (like a Katana!), or any of the above listed stocks

The two I’m really leaning towards are the Prod stock w/2250 fore end, and the modified Mrod Gen1 stock. Those two are the easiest options, and I have most of the parts on hand.

My goal is to have a short (or very short, if I keep it a pistol), handy air gun that can take down up to a fox sized critter that’ll have around 100 fpe w/50+ grain ammo. Not looking for shot count, just punch.

miksatx
    Participant

I just bought a new powerhouse valve it came with 3 10-32 Allen head screws. They look to be 180,000psi type. My other 2 PH valves had 8-32 stainless steel screws.

pb0201
    Participant

This I gotta see!! Hurry up and get that done would ya!!!!

caboose212
    Participant

I’ve made my decision… I’m using an Mrod trigger group, and I’m going to slap it into a Gen 1 Mrod stock. I’ll have to modify the stock of course; shorten the fore end a bit, make a slot for the bolt handle, and fill in the gauge hole and checkering/script. Then off to get hydro dipped. I guess you could call this build a “Wakizashi”, since it’s a carbine, and not a full length Katana… LOL

I also found out a bit of bad news, I can’t use a Tatsu from Donny- I can’t get it in the threads I need. No worries though, I’ll just go with a 2″ O.D. 6″ OAL LDC from Neil Clague. That’ll tame this beast for sure! Again, not really looking for “backyard friendly”, more just something to tame the bark a bit. I certainly won’t ever use this in a residential backyard… But the 14 acres my buddy has? Sure. LOL. I would prefer it to be 4.5″ OAL, but Mr. Clague won’t make one shorter than 6″. No bother, it doesn’t stay on for travel anyway… I won’t complain about more sound suppression!

I hope I can modify some Crosman Intermounts for a .5″ OD barrel… I’d like to set this up as kind of a Scout “rifle”, using a 2-7 pistol scope… We’ll see. If not, I’ll see if Don Cothran can make something similar to his “rear sight mount”, w/o the cut out for a rear sight, and for a .5″ OD barrel.

I also still have to send my bullet mold off to be hollow pointed. Originally the mold would drop the bullets at around 60 grains or so, but since I’ll be hollow pointing them, they’ll of course be less than 60 gr. I’m just not sure how much lower. No worries. I’m sure it’ll be fine.

caboose212
    Participant

Well, I found my scout mount… it’s an Air Venturi Intermount:

I’m stoked!!

caboose212
    Participant

Oh- in case you don’t know what a Katana is, basically it’s a Benjamin Discovery rifle in a Gen 1 Mrod stock:

Just picture it with a Mrod trigger guard, filled in gauge hole, a touch shorter with the end cap and muzzle near the end of the stock, and with some kind of hydrodip camo on the stock… An in .25. Shooting 50+ gr hollow point slugs at or near 100 fpe. Sometimes with a 2″ x 6″ LDC. With a long eye relief scope… :rofl:

caboose212
    Participant

I got my valve screws in… Now for the Powerhouse valve, and I can send all the parts off to be modified/made. Parts I’m sending to the tuner:

– Breech
    – Barrel
    – Powerhouse valve (to set up the TP and such)

I’m going to have the tuner make a TP, and a new bolt (w/longer skinnier probe), plus re-do the leade and TP in the barrel. Not too much longer!! The Wakizashi might be done near the end of summer!! Sooner is fine too!

For now, I can swap out the Mrod trigger blade for a RAW trigger blade, and start working on the stock… I can finally get rid of that silly checkering and “BENJAMIN” script. I’ll wait until I have the major parts back from the tuner to shorten the stock and do the bolt handle cut-out. Oh! I can start figuring out what hydrodip I’d like as well!! :8:

miksatx
    Participant

Hey Tom I’ve got a BSA 2x7x28 edge pistol scope only been on a pistol for bout 10 mins. Ya got any scope that ya might trade?

caboose212
    Participant
    quote miksatx:

Hey Tom I’ve got a BSA 2x7x28 edge pistol scope only been on a pistol for bout 10 mins. Ya got any scope that ya might trade?

Unfortunately all I have is a BSA 3-9×32 AO scope and a 4×32 Bushnell scope. Neither have been used.
    I’d be willing to trade both for that pistol scope…

caboose212
    Participant

I got my Air Venturi Intermount in… I like it! It fits the barrel very well, and the mounts snug down nice and tight! Not as tall as I thought! I can’t wait to get this carbine together!!

miksatx
    Participant
    quote Caboose212:

Unfortunately all I have is a BSA 3-9×32 AO scope and a 4×32 Bushnell scope. Neither have been used.

Sounds like a deal to me Tom. This scope didn’t come with rings. So if the scopes you want to trade have rings on them pull them so you will have a set. Sending a pm.

caboose212
    Participant
    quote miksatx:

quote Caboose212:

Sounds like a deal to me Tom. This scope didn’t come with rings. So if the scopes you want to trade have rings on them pull them so you will have a set. Sending a pm.

That’s a relief! I don’t have rings for these scopes either! :rofl:

Shoot me a PM w/your address and I’ll have these shipped out to you NLT Monday. Much appreciated sir!!

EDIT:

quote miksatx:

Sending a pm.

*facepalm*

miksatx
    Participant

What main tube? I missed that part sorry.

caboose212
    Participant
    quote miksatx:

What main tube? I missed that part sorry.

a 19″ main tube by Roy over at Mountain Air. Basically a cut-down Disco tube. I’m going to send him some of my parts so he can fit them all together and make some other parts for me. The parts I’d be sending him are:

Breech/Bolt
    Barrel
    Valve

I’ve got the specs for him so he can machine everything to match…

Barrel Port: .1875″ x .3125″ oval port
    .09375″ (3/32″) dia Bolt Probe.
    No gauge hole
    Ream out barrel hole on barrel band to fit the barrel (barrel is more than .5″ O.D.)
    Machine in a leade for slugs (slugs will be .50″ long), polish crown

Side note: I’ve ordered the LDC from Neil Clague today! Oh man, just a few more items!!!

miksatx
    Participant

my .25/2240BG w/phv is loud even with a sumo 104dba at the muzzle. thats just 1500psi.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar