Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

.25 Cricket leaking air

Home Forums BullPups Kalibrgun .25 Cricket leaking air

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    bogman
    Participant

Having not disassembled a Cricket, I looked around this forum for the most likely cause for a pretty fast leak, from 250 bar to <60 bar in an hour or two. :suprisedn: Found a couple helpful threads in our incredibly useful Talon forum. I emailed John for the air gauge socket and will use soap/water to search around.

So, Question one: How to degas (what’s left) in the Cricket? If the Air Gauge is barely loosened, is that safe or might that be dangerous? Maybe I can aim it at a squirrel!

Any hints welcome!

Fortunately, I got one of those O-ring assortment “kits” from Ernest, years ago, for the cricket. Didn’t need ’em ’til now.

Thanks!

Rob

long-shot
    Participant

Don’t loosen anything until after you watch Ernest Rowes Youtube video on disassembly and degassing that thing.
    Besides damage to parts, the dangerous thing is a yes.
    Just my thoughts…………………
    — Or be sure and video the gauge and wrench that WAS in your hand flying at that Squirrel. :suprisedn:

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Bogman,

The places for most common Cricket leaks are the small Fill Valve and the Gauge O-ring.
    To check the fill valve just install the probe only into the fill port and use soapy water on the end.
    Sometimes it can be fixed by placing 100% silicone lube directly into the inlet inside the port and with a couple of short blast filling with your SCUBA tank to relube the O-ring inside.

Next, the reg O-ring(s)……check the Mid leak indicator hole.

I never tried to bleed out from the factory AT out, hear it can be problematic to reseal sometimes.
    I use a aftermarket HST that came with a valve degasser. http://en.shop.dase.fi/product/47/

Sometimes from over use the AT bleed out has trouble sealing if it does, let me know and I’ll send you some Nylon tip hex screws at no cost to you Sir.

~ Greg

bogman
    Participant

Thank you both for the info. I did watch Ernest’s vids and had no intention of unscrewing anything until learning more. There’s not much pressure left in the tank, but those cheap gun gauges are often off. Glad there’s a bleed screw.

Greg, I’ve got pure silicone paste, but I’m guessing you’re suggesting a more fluid type? What do you use (for the gun)? :biggrinn:

jungle
    Participant

Hi, bogman

Watching that video and never done it scared the heck out of me first, too.
    Now done disassemble my crickets a few times got me eased a bit but I am not an expert.

I just pulled the air cylinder out ( with air still in) and put nitrile gloves on both ends and tight up with rubber bands. That will show you which end is leaking and just apply a small amount of leak detector on three tiny holes on the cylinder to see any leaks.

I used a brass cylinder piece to degas cricket. It is 1.42in in length and 0.38in in dia. It almost looks like a bic ball point pen cap. Only one side is open like a pen cap.
    Unscrew the adjuster, take out a tension spring and put the degas piece in and slowly screw in the adjuster til you hear air coming out. All these have to happen before disassembly.
    I tried the bleed valve once and it is so tight and did not use it
    because did not want to strip the head.

For the grease, i have used hill grease and molykote for orings and both worked for me.

I would not try unscrew anything with air inside. I would unscrew when I can press valve stem with my finger.

Just wanted to share my thoughts.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    quote bogman:

Thank you both for the info. I did watch Ernest’s vids and had no intention of unscrewing anything until learning more. There’s not much pressure left in the tank, but those cheap gun gauges are often off. Glad there’s a bleed screw.

Greg, I’ve got pure silicone paste, but I’m guessing you’re suggesting a more fluid type? What do you use (for the gun)? :biggrinn:

I used Super lube which is a medium viscosity, a small amount applied it with a toothpick into that small hole that’s 90 degrees inside of the fill port.
    Used a couple of short quick blast of air and I was good to go, it worked with my Edgun too.

If you’re need to use the nylon tipped screw you need to remove the old screw and the tiny ball bearing inside.

Some also got a quick fix and a good seal with adding a small cut off piece of a 3mm O-ring and placed it into the AT bleed out hole.
    Then added the tiny ball bearing behind it and its factory screw back in with a bit of Blue Loctite to help it seal, let dry overnight.

~ Greg

Anonymous
    Inactive
    quote jungle:

Hi, bogman

Watching that video and never done it scared the heck out of me first, too.
    Now done disassemble my crickets a few times got me eased a bit but I am not an expert.

I just pulled the air cylinder out ( with air still in) and put nitrile gloves on both ends and tight up with rubber bands. That will show you which end is leaking and just apply a small amount of leak detector on three tiny holes on the cylinder to see any leaks.

I used a brass cylinder piece to degas cricket. It is 1.42in in length and 0.38in in dia. It almost looks like a bic ball point pen cap. Only one side is open like a pen cap.
    Unscrew the adjuster, take out a tension spring and put the degas piece in and slowly screw in the adjuster til you hear air coming out. All these have to happen before disassembly.
    I tried the bleed valve once and it is so tight and did not use it
    because did not want to strip the head.

For the grease, i have used hill grease and molykote for orings and both worked for me.

I would not try unscrew anything with air inside. I would unscrew when I can press valve stem with my finger.

Just wanted to share my thoughts.

All good tips and advice here Mr. jungle !

……. we have a member here that uses condoms on the AT ends to check for leaks …… pink ones too.
    I’m not telling his name, is Mike ……. :rofl:

:tag:

~ Greg

jungle
    Participant
    quote GKU:

All good tips and advice here Mr. jungle !

……. we have a member here that uses condoms on the AT ends to check for leaks …… pink ones too.
    I’m not telling his name, is Mike ……. :rofl:

:tag:

~ Greg

Haha I think I read about the pink in here somewhere along with good tips from you and others. Definitely I did not hear the name…..Mike. :winkn:

It is nice to be here.

Jung

bogman
    Participant

Thanks again GKU and jungle. Given the Cricket’s age, it’s probably due for a disassembly to check all the o-rings, after the leak spot is discovered.

The finger-tip, final pressure check on the valve sounds like a good final step.

Tell you what I’ll never get used to, what always gives me the heebie jeebies: checking the pressure safety blow off on a Bauer Jr. compressor. Running that sucker up near 5,000 psi (safety blowoff is 4,950) :suprisedn: wish the shutoff switch had a 100 yd cable, so I could check it with a spotting scope! Kinda “sc-air-y”

sorry

bogman
    Participant

With the help of GKU and Ernest’s videos, got the Cricket air tube out and fixed the leak. As has been the woe of others, it was that plastic :suprisedn: seal behind the air gauge. Man, I hope the new Kalibrguns don’t use the same cheesy seal. Replaced it with an o-ring, 2mm x 10mm 90 duro.

drumsguns
    Participant

I know that this is an older post but thought I’d put my leak story up.

Had a persistent leak, tore the gun down and replaced all o-rings three times. Was about to give up and then talked to Ernest. we did the water bath dunk of the air tube and found the leak to be from the gauge itself. Ernest sent another gauge and Voila! Leak fixed.

KP

iride
    Participant

So glad to here Earnest is still with us ,
    He tuned both my crickets and they have been excellent,
    Mike

zonk
    Participant

Same here Mike. Ernest did both my Cricket and my Vulcan. I’ve contact Ernest by Txt and by phone and he replies ASAP. He hasn’t forgotten us here on TAG.
    I also have one of John Hagen’s degasser tools. :8: :8:

ridetoeat
    Participant

I am dealing with and sourcing the air gauge seal now as well. Sent a note to Ernst. Have not had a need to communicate with him for likely 3 years, knd of anxious to hear back, hope to hear back from him soon. Seal seems more like plastic than hard oring. If need be I will re-machine the end cap for a Dowty type seal. I would prefer to keep original but if needed this would be a great and dependable fix. Made up this little socket from pictures and hints from online to get it apart.

EDIT: attached pic not sized properly so not visible.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar