Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

2013 great white tank, five years BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Home Forums General Compressors, tanks and pumps 2013 great white tank, five years BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This topic contains 17 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  maw 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

iride
    Participant

I was one of the lucky few to get a Sheldon compressor , Its a kick ass garage compressor , I fill my little Venturi foot ball tank 2015 date, from my great white and then fill my guns from there,
    Now I am not so much a safety nut, but I go to a tank place that deals in the big tanks and ask about a 5 year safety test on my 4500 psi carbon fiber great white
    The guy said sure we can test it and have back to you in a week. 250.00 dollars. WTF So I am a cheap ass , What to do?????????????????????????
    I do not think my tanks are going to blow up, For that kind of money I can buy an extra water filter and have two of them in a row , Thats the BIG deal on the tanks is keeping them dry, Right? My tanks live indoor in my home office in a dark closet.
    Am i in danger , or should I suck it up and get them tested,
    I am setting here right next to my little ventui tank and the gauge reads 5000 psi, Oh I love the sheldon compressor .
    The great white sets behind the door reading about 4800 psi.
    A little history on my tank, before I had my compressor the oilfield company used to charge me 38 dollars to fill my tank, Or even to top it off same price 38 bucks, Now they did fill to 5000 at my request so when I got home it would read 4800 or 4500 depending on the rate of fill.
    They did not fill in a safety box just on the bed of my truck, I ask about the safety box for fills , One of the guys that spoke pretty good English came over and said , This is one of the finest quality tanks we come across , The gauges alone are some of the best we come across, Just stand back and let us do our job…
    Now that was some pretty high praise in my book.
    I would like to know what the all knowing that all knowledgeable master of oz , and the genies that reside in the black boxes have to say :whistle:
    Mike

sacshooter

In CA tank hydros for the carbon fiber tanks only run $20 to $35
    You may want to find another place to get it hydro tested.

Roger

iride
    Participant

wow 20 bucks to have a tank tested, Monday I am going to call around and see what I can find out,
    The guy I talked to deals in oil field Hugh tanks,
    Or I just might do what the UK does and test every 15 years , ( I think) :fishinghole: :fishinghole: :fishinghole:
    Mike

miksatx
    Participant

You got any friends in the fire department? You might find out where they get there tanks tested.

iride
    Participant

miksatx
    No firemen All retired , City insurance will not let me even bring a tank in the building.
    Note on the city they just get new ones , Wow.No testing of the tanks just exchange them for new ones .
    I got a welder friend of mine that has his own truck, But I am not going to push it,
    I got my own compressor and I take care of my tanks , I see no problem , Even if something happens I expect a SHHHHHHH,,,, Not a boom.
    My great white has never even left my office but twice to go to the deer camp.
    Mike

miksatx
    Participant

So how about Toucan Dan’s Dive shop. Says they are full service dive shop. That should include tank testing. I know the dive shop not far from my place test tanks. But like you I got my own compressor and ain’t real worried bout it.

huntjunky

My local paint ball outlet (Utah) sends it out for complete hydro/certification for $37 w/ 1 week turn around. Might try your local paintball outfit for there certification and testing. The scuba outlets, I contacted, were not really geared for 6000 psi carbon fiber nor had source.

fomen
    Participant

Getting tanks re-certified every 5 years is a scam. There are tons of budget friendly air compressors that can refill your tank at home. You can go big and buy the Air Venturi, which is the best. Or you can go to Ebay and buy one of the 220v or 110v models that will do the same thing. If you buy one of the cheap models, make sure you use good compressor oil. I would run the compressor for 10 or 15 minutes the first time, then swap out the oil to a high grade compressor oil. That oil should last you a while. If you can fill the tank yourself, then screw hydro testing or re-certifications. It’s not illegal to have the air in the tank past the cert date. It’s illegal for these places to refill them if the cert date has expired. Those tanks should last 15 years with ZERO issues. They are typically tested to 450 BAR which is well beyond what you intend to test them at.

I know spending $400 for a compressor seems like a lot, but look at it logically. If you’re taking your tank to a dive shop to get filled, it’s costing you $10-$15 per trip. Plus the time and gas to get there. If you do that 10 x’s a year, that comes out to about $150. If your tank needs to be re-certified after 5 years, you’ve spent $750 over those 5 years just getting the tank filled.

The compressor is $350 plus shipping. 60% less than what you would spend getting it filled at a dive shop over the course of 5 years. No more worrying about dates, hydro testing, or certifications. It’s a win-win! Just my $.02

iride
    Participant

thanks Fomen
    I got a Sheldon compressor long time ago, My Tanks used to cost me 45 bucks or so , Also about 3 hours of my time,
    I bought a compressor pretty quick,
    In the UK the Carbon fiber tanks are good for 30 years, Maybe they make them better there, (not)
    I do agree with you that the every 5 year thing is a scam, Its an over kill,
    I also think we are not sitting on bombs , Just tanks that could burst,
    I do take precautions, Like not filling my small tank in my lap from my great white tank. :rofl:
    I set it on the floor now.
    Mike

zonk
    Participant

My first fill on my great white was $20 and I had to leave it over night. 25 miles there 25 miles back 100 miles round trip. Only filled once, bought me a Shoebox. Best thing I ever did.

iride
    Participant

My Sheldon compressor will fill my great white in about 10 minutes from 3000 to 4800 psi ,
    That’s pretty fast compared to a lot of these new wiz bang compressor coming out.
    I know the shoe box has been around for a long time and has a proven track record .
    Mike

rcontrera
    Participant

Get it hydro tested. It isn’t a scam … it is the law. In order to travel across public streets/highways with a tank, it must be tested to insure it is safe. If someone were to run into you and damage the tank causing an explosion, even though it was someone else’s fault, you would be liable for all damages for transporting the “bomb”.

$250 for a test is the rip off. If you don’t have a “real” hydro place, you can just send it to Hydrotester.com and they can take care of it for you.

The biggest reason for getting tests is that, in the US, ANY idiot that knows how to push an ON button can pump air. While Hazmat training is required for compressor operators, it is NOT an enforceable regulation so a lot of idiots ARE running compressors … such as the oil field guys that fill to 5000.

bigtinboat
    Participant
    quote rcontrera:

Get it hydro tested. It isn’t a scam … it is the law. In order to travel across public streets/highways with a tank, it must be tested to insure it is safe. If someone were to run into you and damage the tank causing an explosion, even though it was someone else’s fault, you would be liable for all damages for transporting the “bomb”.

$250 for a test is the rip off. If you don’t have a “real” hydro place, you can just send it to Hydrotester.com and they can take care of it for you.

The biggest reason for getting tests is that, in the US, ANY idiot that knows how to push an ON button can pump air. While Hazmat training is required for compressor operators, it is NOT an enforceable regulation so a lot of idiots ARE running compressors … such as the oil field guys that fill to 5000.

Did you just make this $hit up? Or did someone tell this to you? Either way it’s not true.

rcontrera
    Participant

It is all VERY true. I have been working with high pressure systems and dealing with DOT regulations since the early 70s.

bigtinboat
    Participant
    quote rcontrera:

It is all VERY true. I have been working with high pressure systems and dealing with DOT regulations since the early 70s.

Link to “truth”?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar