Skip to toolbar
Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

100 Yard flattened lead slug???

Home Forums AirForce Texan 100 Yard flattened lead slug???

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    hoot
    Participant

Check it out. He claims 5 “kill shots” per charge, and then shows a totally flattened .45 slug he says impacted at 100 yards. Hmmmmmm???

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/airforces-hard-hitting-rifles-shot-show-2015/

I’d certainly like to know the trajectory of that fat slug at 100 yards…mil-dot holdover? C’mon…even at 1000 fps, a 100 yards is still a long way off for a 350gr slug, and that muzzle velocity has to be dropping faster than a fat kid’s fork at an all you can eat buffet!

The real world will tell the tale when some shooters get their hands on one.

Hoot:

acourvil
    Participant

That 350g slug is going to have a much higher BC than a .25 or .30 pellet, and those still hit pretty good at 100 yards. If he’s really getting 1000fps muzzle velocity, he’ll have plenty of speed and energy far past 100 yards, probably still in the 800-900fps and 400+ft/lbs range.

x356b
    Participant

There’s a bit of useful data from AirForce. They show a table with bullet mass, and muzzle velocity. The 240 grain truncated cone bullet flies at 841 FPS with 377 FPE at the muzzle.

Assume a ballistic coefficient of .141, which is just a guess from looking at various.45 bullets flying subsonic (ref: Sierra Handgun BC PDF).

iStrelok shows the following for a 50 yard zero: 10 inches of drop at 100 yards and 306 FPE.

Pretty good punch at 100…

-x356b

leadbetter
    Participant

I can get pretty easy two hunert yard hits with 418gr cast slugs doing 1500fps out of a 45/70.

genet
    Participant

I’ve shot poppers (steel targets) to 100 with a .45 pistol (230gr @ ~850 fps) and no holdover was necessary. The bullets splatter just like the piece shown. I see nothing fishy here – if the Texan achieves the velocities claimed (or even 15% less) the rest rings true.

GsT

caboose212
    Participant

I wouldn’t kick that reporter outta bed for eatin’ crackers, that’s for damn sure! Wait- were they talking about an airgun or something?!

jobobo
    Participant

She said “You have a phenomenal piece in your hands” :confusedn: :suprisedn: …

rj-porter
    Participant

When I would shoot my Haley with a 500grn spitzer with a BC of .421 I would have to use a 3 mil dot hold. It was making 600fpe at the muzzle. Still dumped around 500fpe at 100yds. That holdover was with a 30yd zero

jagchaser
    Participant

My 257 shooting a 71gr flat point will flatten the slug the same exact way at 200 yards if I am shooting pure lead at a steel plate. Lots different shooting at steel instead of a soft target.

rgaumer
    Participant
    quote Jobobo:

She said “You have a phenomenal piece in your hands” :confusedn: :suprisedn: …

you dirty dirty dog jobobo

chrisyboy
    Participant

Yeah I saw that with him proudly waving a flattened pellet. My airforce would flatten a pellet when it was making 40 foot pounds.

tofazfou
    Participant

I’m not 100% saying the number accurately but, i think if the bullet impacts at around 700+- fps, then you get flattened slugs like that. If its higher then the bullet disintegrates

sanokypa
    Participant
    quote Hoot:

Check it out. He claims 5 “kill shots” per charge, and then shows a totally flattened .45 slug he says impacted at 100 yards. Hmmmmmm???

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/airforces-hard-hitting-rifles-shot-show-2015/

I’d certainly like to know the trajectory of that fat slug at 100 yards…mil-dot holdover? C’mon…even at 1000 fps, a 100 yards is still a long way off for a 350gr slug, and that muzzle velocity has to be dropping faster than a fat kid’s fork at an all you can eat buffet!

The real world will tell the tale when some shooters get their hands on one.

Hoot:

yup i also smell so much marketing in the air in that vid,,,i think that flattening is too much 😀 😀 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.