Reply To: .457 Talon

Home Forums General Mods/Machinists .457 Talon Reply To: .457 Talon

cygnus-x-d82
Participant

i see alot of posts….i have been working alot of hours lately (real work that pays 🙂

i broke the 800 fps barrier for the 405 grain, and the round ball got to 1102 fps….so i guess another record ;-)…..405 grain hit 580FPE…totally insane…which got me even crazier…and i want to break 600 fpe

Butcher…thanks for the info…i will zero it at 50 which is whats available at the range…now that you went and did the math and confirmed it…thats going to be it

what would optimal be for a roundball at 1000-1100 fps, im shooting some soft roundballs, they come in a red package in .457 ?

and youp those heavy rounds looses very little energy compared to pellets….its a dangerous gun for sure…

Tube used is a 6 cell maglite…..they come in a lot of colors….anodized nicely….just needs the head cut off, a plug made….and the endcap drilled…and your all set…i currently have 3x#8 screws holding it in place…i tried #6 screws but they just bend all to hell

did some stuff to the rifle a couple of weeks ago…to help on different stuff

frame endcap in steel….nice and heavy for less recoil and steadyness.

new breech in free machining steel…the aluminium one blew the oring out the side….posetive thing is steel is nice and sturdy…negative its so heavy that when the valve slams to a closed position…the breech carrys too much enertia, and actually jumps off the tophat 😯 leading to a nasty blow of air in the shooters face

breech cocking handle modded so it can now lock into frame and avoid the nasty airblast….gave about 20-30 fps with roundball extra

valve got an extra oring to seal it better…turned out it wasnt a problem after all as the air wasnt comming from the valve but from the barrel…see above (and video)

front grip removed….plastic broke and screw was pulled through…have to find a solution later….running out of time before the hog hunt…tomorrow cousin arrives…sunday or monday going to the range to zero the last time, and give cousin a chanche to shoot the rifle he is going to be using a couple of times before the hunt…

Tuesday the toyota gets pointed towards OK…and 1700 miles and we should be there….thats 3 days to get there…rest in motel…and be at the ranch at noon friday…yeeehaw…im so excited !