It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:09 am

Welcome to TalonAirgun.com Guest!    Register  Or performs the  Login       

Information: The foremost Website for the discussion and tuning of AirForce Airguns

Surefire .25 slugs for sale (edit 3/27/2014)

Selling or Buying? You've come to the right place.

Moderators: PANDEMIC, WalkonKing, Y

Surefire .25 slugs for sale (edit 3/27/2014)

Postby Jerry » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:25 pm

There has been some questions regarding the prices and contact info in this post, Updates have been made:

I'm editing this post to answer some of the common questions I get via email. Nothing wrong with questions and I enjoy emailing with other airgun folks but this might save some time and get us to the second round of questions faster! Here's a dozen reference items...

1. We accept only PayPal payments to: jboyenga@md.metrocast.net or USPS Money Orders.
2. Shipping costs $10 for little orders (100-300) and $15 for larger orders (more than 400). All shipping is via USPS Priority Mail, insured and with delivery confirmation. If you ask for it or if I decide it is required (you live in an apartment) I will add signature confirmation. We come out ahead on some shipments and behind on others but I'd have to charge a customization fee if every order had custom shipping, oh, the fee includes the diesel fuel for a trip to the post office so you won't be waiting on another trip...
3. Small orders are less than 300 slugs for the smaller calibers and more falls into the large order category.
4. If you have a .25 LW barrel with regular rifleing, you want .251 sized slugs. If you have the .25 LW with the polygonal rifleing, you want the slugs sized to .252. (I wrote this years ago and LW had consistent barrels then, you may find other results now)
5. If you have a Sumatra you want 6 rings at .253 for loading in the magazine. The 7 rings can be single loaded in the Korean guns. BTW, I do NOT recommend that you buy these slugs for magazine loading unless you are willing to be extremely careful with the firing sequence and understand how and why your gun works! If you jam your gun and/or force the lever, ever, it will have been against my advice. I'll be happy to explain via email.
6. We currently offer the Barnes by Surefire .25 heavy slugs you have read about here and also the Barnes Raptor .45 slugs. In addition there are a number of .308, .32, .452, .457 and .50 caliber slugs that are available. All of these slugs have at least a couple custom sizes that we will size them to.
7. All of our slugs are custom sized to the customers request. We can sell you slugs "as cast" if you desire but our prices and normal practice reflect sizing the slugs to fit your barrel. I can make some recommendations based on experience and customer feedback, but knowing your exact barrel dimensions is a big help in deciding what's best for your gun.
8. All slugs are cast to order and are not cast until the order is paid for. This is custom work done to make slugs for a particular customer and gun.
9. I cannot know your gun as well as you. If you order the wrong slug or it does not fit your needs, I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do. We don't offer a performance based guarantee as I can't possibly know if you can shoot or if your gun is any good. We make the slugs to high standards and as ordered. Feel free to ask on this or any other forum and evaluate the answers you get regarding quality of the slugs before you order.
10. The .25 slugs are for enhanced power modified Condors. To shoot these slugs effectively you need a gun with a little extra power at least. You also should not expect good results with short barrel guns. Even if you can launch a Kodiak at 1000 fps from your 12" barrel, don't get the heavy slugs. The heavies need room to accelerate and that means a 20" barrel minimum is recommended.
11. We offer match grade sorting for all the slugs we make. It is a very labor intensive process and thus expensive, $15 per 100 slugs. That will get you all the slugs in a batch of 100 within plus or minus .2gr for .25s and plus or minus .4gr for .45s. So, if your .25 can take advantage of slugs that never differ by more than .4gr and you are willing to pay for the service; we will cast as many slugs as it takes to fill that order with perfect slugs in that tight weight range.
12. We offer color coating on all the slugs we make as well. Standard cost is $10 per 100 and that includes custom colors from pink to 2-tone school colors. There is NO implication that colored slugs shoot better or will protect you from cancer! The coating will probably reduce lead contact but I have no scientific proof that it does or that it would matter. If you want color to organize your slugs or just to identify your kill, ask. The coating has been tested and it does not foul barrels or harm accuracy. Just don't lube the color slugs with FP-10, that's the only lube identified so far with a solvent strong enough to soften the color coating, oil is fine.

We're back! The first 2 pictures are of the slugs sized to .253 (in case you are shooting a Sumatra as well as your trusty Condor). The second 2 pictures are of the same slugs sized to .251 which is what 99% of you want for your LW barrels.

I'll keep the stuff below as history and the contact info and prices are updated. OH, we've dis-continued the 8 ring slug for lack of demand, so we'll just be selling 6, 7 and 9 rings from now on.

Barnes heavy .25 custom slugs by Surefire for sale
From left to right: Diana Magnum, Kodiak, Crow Magnum, 6, 7, 8, and 9 ring Barnes.

As you can see, even the 6 ring slug dwarfs the Kodiak. These slugs carry a lot of mass and will carry some serious energy downrange for the guns that can handle them.

We shot a bunch of 9 ring slugs as they were very accurate and we enjoyed the effect they were having on the blocks of 2x6 we had for targets. We also decided to chrony all these slugs to be able to provide you some real world numbers. We figured that if we kept the gun set-up the same for all the slugs and got a base number for the Kodiak, you’d be able to estimate the power and speed you’d see from your gun by comparing to these numbers. For our set-up the Kodiaks went 1144 FPS which is screaming. We all heard the obvious supersonic crack reverberating off the hills around us. There was no doubt that these pellets were going supersonic. The Diana Magnums were just silly, it sounded like we were shooting a high power rifle not an airgun. Fun, but not what most of us are after. Here are the numbers:

Diana Magnum, 20gr, 1289 FPS, 73.8 FPE
Kodiak, 30.7gr, 1144 FPS, 89.2 FPE
Crow Magnum, 26.2gr, 1203 FPS, 84.2 FPE
Barnes 6 ring, 57.6gr, 922.1 FPS, 108.8 FPE (22% higher than the Kodiak)
7 ring, 66.9gr, 893.5 FPS, 118.6 FPE
8 ring, 72.9gr, 861.6 FPS, 120.2 FPE
9 ring, 84.6gr, 816.8 FPS, 125.4 FPE Avg. (the highest measured was 822.8 FPS and 127.2 FPE at the standard set-up)

The numbers above reflect a consistent set-up for the gun. I can’t say for sure that your results will be exactly proportional but I don’t see why they would not be either.

These two groups were shot consecutively by two shooters. Note that the centers of the groups are the same (shot #1 in the bottom group was aimed high intentionally). The gun used was the one that was used for the power numbers above and the set-up remained the same for these groups. Those are groups shot at 125 FPE from a .25 airgun! The barrel twist is very similar to that found in the LW .25 barrels. This gun did not have a choke like the LW barrels however.

As of 27 Mar '14 these slugs are $18.00 per 100, any size, same price. Slugs are all made to order and sized to your specification; provided you specify .251, .252, or .253.

Shipping for up to 300 slugs is a flat $10 or a flat $15 for 400 or more, which covers insurance and priority mail delivery.

For those who prefer to limit their exposure to lead, we also offer the custom color coating that we use on the Barnes Raptor slugs. Custom color is offered at $10 per 100.

If you’re interested, please email: jboyenga@md.metrocast.net

I will not be conducting business through forum posts, please email or use PM's if you need any additional info pertaining to your gun. I’ll post any general info I may have forgotten…

Update:
The 6 ring slug is 17/32" long
7-ring, 19/32"
8-ring, no longer offered
and 9-ring, 24/32"

We also continue to provide the Barnes Raptor slug as well as .308s, .45s and Barnes custom slugs to Barnes owners.
Last edited by Jerry on Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Random avatar
Jerry

6 ring accuracy?

Postby RHIGHZ » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:48 pm

So how is the accuracy of the 6 ring slugs. I noticed the chrono data, but no target shown. I'm interested mainly in info for a Condor. I'd be interested in them if saw some of the results.
Random avatar
RHIGHZ

Postby airboss » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:19 pm

I'll try 3 boxes.I'll give this guy a call..I'll let you know what I think :mrgreen:
Random avatar
airboss

Postby Jerry » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:37 pm

RHIGHZ,

I've not shot the improved 6 ring slugs for trophy groups. The original 6 ring slugs did pretty good out of my Sumatra and there are some groups posted in the General Chat section under the .25 slugs post. The last time out (when the 9 ring groups were shot) we did shoot a bunch of critters painted on the front of blocks of 2x6 which were set out at 50 yards. Here's the exit side of one of those blocks, the holes are from 6 ring and 7 ring slugs. Your accuracy will depend on your gun and skill of course. I'm satisfied with how they work and if I get a chance to shoot some paper at distance, I'll post the results.
Random avatar
Jerry

Postby Jerry » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:43 am

I've had lots of questions regarding these lately. Most of the answers are in this post so I'm bumping it up.
Random avatar
Jerry

Postby Love my Talon SS » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:24 pm

Bump (CRASH) opps.
"I love Christmas lights.
They remind me of the people who voted for Obama.
They all hang together;
half of them don't work, and the
ones that do, are not that bright."

Hoot
Love my Talon SS

Postby Jerry » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:10 pm

I thought I'd remind you hunters of these slugs. :) For those of you shooting .308s and .45s, we've got something for you too!
Random avatar
Jerry

wow

Postby maw » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:52 pm

I'm going to definately try and get some of these 100fp my god what a dog slayer and the accuracy looks astonishing!
Random avatar
maw

Postby dadwilson » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:04 pm

Thanks for the fast service Jerry and looking forward to trying these bad boys out next week or sooner..
dadwilson

"We Fight For The Right"

HW100T.177
AA S400 ERB SL .177
HW50S .177
HW30S .22
dadwilson

Postby rexxwood » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:16 pm

They look like they would tumble but the hole says not.
Good job
"Stand and deliver
Or the devil he may take you"

Now some men like a fishin', and some men like the fowlin'
Some men like to hear, to hear the cannonball a-roarin'
But me, I like sleepin', specially in my Molly's chamber
rexxwood

Postby Love my Talon SS » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:01 pm

They work great. The 7 ring will go through 3/4" plywood when shot from my Super Talon. (.25 with high flow tank and condor hammer)
"I love Christmas lights.
They remind me of the people who voted for Obama.
They all hang together;
half of them don't work, and the
ones that do, are not that bright."

Hoot
Love my Talon SS

Postby rob3dr » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:06 pm

rexxwood wrote:They look like they would tumble but the hole says not.
Good job

I've tested them out to 105 yards out of my Condor.... no tumbling.
All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand.

Good judgment comes from experience; experience usually comes from bad judgment.

75%.... I can deal with the smell.
rob3dr

Postby dadwilson » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:26 pm

I can’t wait to see how these 6 or 7 rings slugs will perform with my . 25 Condor, 12” barrel.. Right now I am shooting around 902 with Kodiaks for 55 fpe or so.. This is going to be interesting.. Smack down time for sure..
dadwilson

"We Fight For The Right"

HW100T.177
AA S400 ERB SL .177
HW50S .177
HW30S .22
dadwilson

Postby FivePointFive » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:18 pm

I have an 18"x.25 barrel on its way from Tony in a few weeks. Any recommendations regardng diameters (.251, .252 or .253) ? What form of payment is accepted?
FivePointFive
Random avatar
FivePointFive

Postby Jerry » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:11 am

You'll be getting a LW barrel and all of those so far have liked .251 the best. Payment via PayPal is great and gets the fastest service. Postal Money orders work great too, you jsu have to wait until I get it and confirm it before we cast the slugs.

Email me at: jboyenga@md.metrocast.net to place an order, ask questions, etc.
Random avatar
Jerry

Postby corey » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:18 pm

which ring slug gets the most fpe with a .25 Condor from Talon Tunes with a custom hammer and other custom things?? how much fpe?
Random avatar
corey

Postby Jerry » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:46 pm

Corey,
The last time I talked to Tony and he was shooting Surefire slugs, he was getting just over 100 FPE with the heavy slugs and just under 100 FPE with the lighter slugs. That was with his personal gun so your mileage may vary! If the gun in question has not been tuned for maximum power (call that 80+ FPE with Kodiaks) but is fairly stout, I would recommend the 7 ring slug. The maximum FPE will probably still be with the 9 ring but FPE isn't everything (unless you're blowing stuff up at close range!).
Random avatar
Jerry

Postby corey » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:43 pm

Thanks a lot Jerry. Cant wait to try them. I just ordered some slugs and will be definitely ordering more.
Random avatar
corey

Postby Anthony266 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:11 pm

Hey Jerry,

Shot some of your 62gr.'ers at 35 yards today......

.50 group without trying.

The dry log I use'd for a back stop was torn up.
Incredible power.

Awesome pellet.
Anthony266
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jerry » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:28 pm

Hi Tony,
That's great news. I think you've got the original design slugs there. The current version has a stepped base that might be a little more consistent and accurate (a lot easier to cast too!). Were you testing a new gun for delivery?
Random avatar
Jerry

Next

Return to For Sale